Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Most definitely the fold down collar and cummerbund. The white jacket is a tropical DJ and would traditionally be worn with a cummerbund.

Last edited:

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
Hey, I was browsing the Black Tie Guide, and I noticed something that seems to be particularly 1930s, and that would be gray slacks with an ivory dinner jacket.
1936_06_Esq_p164_AAAC_edit.jpg
Would any of you endorse this for summer time black tie? I think it looks quite nice, to be honest.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, I was browsing the Black Tie Guide, and I noticed something that seems to be particularly 1930s, and that would be gray slacks with an ivory dinner jacket.
View attachment 14321
Would any of you endorse this for summer time black tie? I think it looks quite nice, to be honest.

It does make for an interesting look. Can't tell if he's wearing brown shoes or brown socks with black shoes?

Big Man

Maroon/burgundy socks and pocket hankie. I like this look!

Editing to add: On my monitor, at least, the maroon/burgundy has quite a purple-ish cast. Lovely!

It does have a look of its own. Very "summery" (if that's a word). While looking very sharp, refined, and dignified (well above the level of a normal suit), the look remains just below the very "formal" look of the traditional black dinner suit.

I wonder how this look would be received today?

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
It does have a look of its own. Very "summery" (if that's a word). While looking very sharp, refined, and dignified (well above the level of a normal suit), the look remains just below the very "formal" look of the traditional black dinner suit.

I wonder how this look would be received today?

Well, I intend to try it out on a cruise one day, so we shall see then :D

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I really like the look and would try to carry it off, but for me, it would be a level below black tie. I think it would be fantastic for daytime wear.

Big Man

Well, I got a new off-white dinner jacket today. I know the photo isn't that great, but tell me what you think.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Looks very nice, Big Man. Hard to go wrong with such classic style, although (if you haven't already) I believe I'd plan on having those sleeves taken up just a bit, maybe an inch or two. Other than than that it looks perfect.

Big Man

Looks very nice, Big Man. Hard to go wrong with such classic style, although (if you haven't already) I believe I'd plan on having those sleeves taken up just a bit, maybe an inch or two. Other than than that it looks perfect.

Just got the jacket today. I have plans to take the sleeves up just a bit. Enough to show some shirt cuff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner