Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

Bugsy

One Too Many
I believe that it was, and might still be, cutomary for the groom to wear a tuxedo ensemble with a white tie, while the rest of groomsmen wore black ties. It was supposed to separate the groom from the other men in the wedding party.

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
LindyTap said:
I know you can wear a white vest to maximize the formality of black tie, but what about the tie itself? I've never heard anything like this before, but has anyone else?

I've done extensive research on vintage etiquette for formal clothing and I have never come across anything suggesting that a white bow tie was permissible with anything other than full dress.

Feraud

Bartender
Here are a few pics of the locals out in their formal wear.
DSC04780.jpg

DSC04779.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
A homburg isn't appropriate?!
It looks like an indoor, social gathering. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I would have either checked my hat, or at least stashed it someplace safe.

DerMann

Practically Family
Does anyone know of a means of protecting heavily starched collars from, well, "de-starching" whilst one is wearing it?

I ask only because after four hours of wear, my stiff collar had soaked up a lot of sweat and it was quite limp (I can't imagine it looked very good, but it was dark.

Maybe putting a layer of some sort of wax around the inside?

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
DerMann said:
Does anyone know of a means of protecting heavily starched collars from, well, "de-starching" whilst one is wearing it?

I ask only because after four hours of wear, my stiff collar had soaked up a lot of sweat and it was quite limp (I can't imagine it looked very good, but it was dark.

Maybe putting a layer of some sort of wax around the inside?

Better laundry.

DerMann

Practically Family
Erm, I'm not particularly sure that's possible, as this was the first time I'd even attached the collar to the shirt :\

Bugsy

One Too Many
I think that's a pretty natural phenomenon to happen with a very stiff color. It's happened to me. A good laundry should be able to get out any stains, and odor, and perfectly re-starch the collar again. I think trying to put something between you and the collar would make you sweat only more. (Imagine a piece of Saran wrapped around your neck.) Just as long as you enjoyed the prom, that's the important thing. You and your classmates will all remember the dance; I doubt anyone else is going to remember a collar that had lost its starch.

Josephine

One Too Many
I read in the first post (or was it the second?) that a waistcoat should be long enough to cover the waistband of the trousers. Should it (if it was a full back) cover the waistband in the back too? Where should the 'belt' in the back lie? At the waistband too? I have a sinking feeling the waistcoat I was so excited about is too short for The Husband. And I won't be able to find out until the end of July! :(

DerMann

Practically Family
You don't have to worry about it covering the back of the trousers. All proper waistcoats for white tie are backless. Seeing a gentleman should not remove his jacket indoors (especially in front of women!), he should be fine if it covers the waistband.

Josephine

One Too Many
DerMann said:
You don't have to worry about it covering the back of the trousers. All proper waistcoats for white tie are backless. Seeing a gentleman should not remove his jacket indoors (especially in front of women!), he should be fine if it covers the waistband.

Good point. I just measured him and it, though, and from his shoulder to his waist is 20" and the vest at best is 19", more like 18". The points in the front will cover his waistband, but the shirt will show on the sides.

Anyone want to buy a 42 Short shawl collar vest, slightly worn? :eusa_doh:

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
DerMann said:

I would differ slightly - in that full backed waistcoats are entirely correct for formal wear, backless waistcoats being a more modern variant of these, popularised in the 1930s.

Josephine

One Too Many
I was at the movies and I saw a preview for Australia, with Hugh Jackman in a white dinner jacket and a waistcoat! Quelle horreur! :eek:

JackmanTux.gif

ps it takes place in WWII

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
Josephine said:
I was at the movies and I saw a preview for Australia, with Hugh Jackman in a white dinner jacket and a waistcoat! Quelle horreur! :eek:

JackmanTux.gif

ps it takes place in WWII

Covering his bow tie with his shirt collar is even worse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy