Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pen newbie

armod

Familiar Face
I have very poor handwriting that looks neater when i write small. would a finer nib be the way to go?

bd3

New in Town
armod said:
I have very poor handwriting that looks neater when i write small. would a finer nib be the way to go?

Yes, the smaller you write a finer nib would be better.

Edward

Bartender
If your handwriting isn't very neat, avoid very strong ink colours, like black and blue-black. Try softer blues, browns, and so on. It sounds ma, but it does actually help the look of it for some reason I know not.

Many people that have not so neat handwriting benefit by using stub, oblique, italic, or music nibs.

1>The stylized writing makes their writing look better right off the bat

2> I think it makes them concentrate more because one becomes consciencous of the thick thin lines and try to make them line up better. So it is a tool to get neater more regular writing.

Fast writing is the bane of neat writing, when you are in a situation that you must write as quickly as posible you take shortcuts and the idea is to get as much info on the paper as posible in the shortest time. Note taking for a variety of things like work or school re-enforces the bad habits. Slowing down when posible will help by allowing concentration on the original form you first learned.

armod

Familiar Face
as a photographer when I say note taking I mean annotated drawings

here are some examples made with a 0.7mm ballpoint

3776737928_33c15c608a.jpg

3775930889_03f31e4639.jpg

otherwise the idea of a broad or italic nib seems like a good way to improve my penmanship... and also appeals to my more vain side in adding a little panache or flair to my writing
blush2.gif

/i
Edward said:
If your handwriting isn't very neat, avoid very strong ink colours, like black and blue-black. Try softer blues, browns, and so on. It sounds mab, but it does actually help the look of it for some reason I know not.

that's a great piece of information edward.

what else is there to think about when selecting an ink?
what differences are there in inks besides color?
I've heard of waterproof inks and an indian(??) ink specially made for fountain pens​

armod said:
I've heard of waterproof inks and an indian(??) ink specially made for fountain pens[/INDENT]

Many pen manufacturers have their own brand of ink and there are a multitude of makers that are not connected to a pen company such as the lovely J. Herbin, Private Reserve and Noodler’s. The color spectrum of available inks continues to grow so finding that perfect color for your written expressions is easier than ever. Private Reserve even has a mixing kit so that creating a truly personal, custom color can be accomplished with a little experimentation. I like to match ink color to the season such as red and green at Christmas. It is a bit like “flavoring” the writing, as one might use seasoning when cooking.

Remember that India inks and drawing inks contain varnish and drying agents that will cause damage to a fountain pen so avoid them and stick with only what says fountain pen ink on the label.

Noodler's Bulletproof or Eternal inks are permanent on paper after drying.

High Pockets

Practically Family
armod said:
ha ha. I've started getting ink on my fingers and I must admit, I don't mind at all. I've been writing just for the sake of it and enjoying it. I'll probably stick to ballpoint for drawing unless i can find an ink/nib combination that works for the shading and details that i need in my notes

Drawing and "shading" can be done with ink/nib:

One of mine :)
Mont-Saint-Michel.jpg

By the way I bought a couple of those disposable Varsity's,...as soon as I used it that old elementary school feeling came back,....I loved it.
I'll be buying a much better pen.

Edward

Bartender
armod said:
what else is there to think about when selecting an ink?
[/INDENT]

To ad to the above advice, I'd suggest sticking with washable, non-waterproof ink to begin with at least! Also, look for anything marked quick-drying, as that's generally easier to work with . (That said, any modern ink I've used seems to be quick drying, pretty much).

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If quick-drying ink can't be found (and I think that situation VERY unlikely) - then paper-towels can substitute as excellent blotting-paper, in-lieu of the real thing.

High Pockets

Practically Family
BillyCigars said:
Magnificent drawing!!
Thank you sir.

Armod,....I'm glad you started this thread.

After reading it, I've bought and thoroughly enjoyed a couple of the throw-away Varsity's. As a matter of fact I like them so much, that I just ordered another pen with respect to Cascadian's suggestion; a Lamy Safari along with a bottle of Noodler's ink and a converter for the pen.

I also looked at the Waterman Phileas that BillyCigars mentioned,...liked what I read and added it to my Amazon wishlist.

:) :)

armod

Familiar Face
High Pockets said:
Armod,....I'm glad you started this thread.

After reading it, I've bought and thoroughly enjoyed a couple of the throw-away Varsity's. As a matter of fact I like them so much, that I just ordered another pen with respect to Cascadian's suggestion; a Lamy Safari along with a bottle of Noodler's ink and a converter for the pen.

I also looked at the Waterman Phileas that BillyCigars mentioned,...liked what I read and added it to my Amazon wishlist.

:) :)

thank you.

I'm glad to see other people catching the viral appeal of fountain pens.

I started this thread in the hopes of having an open dialogue for those less knowledgeable about pens (myself included) to refer to after seeing the beautiful examples in the show off thread and being confused by the "pen jargon". it can be intimidating.

armod

Familiar Face
I've been reading and I'm seeing that the nib sizes aren't standardized among manufacturers (one brand's M might be another brand's F or B)

are there any resources online where they can be compared either amongst one another or against actual measurements (millimeters, perhaps?)[huh]

Doublegun

Practically Family
I too, am glad this thread was started. I have been using the Vastisy disposibles for years but have been reluctant to make the jump to a "real" fountain pen in part because I have not felt comfortable that I knew enough to make at least a semi-informed decision. I am not there yet but I am a lot closer than I was a few weeks ago.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
armod said:
I've been reading and I'm seeing that the nib sizes aren't standardized among manufacturers (one brand's M might be another brand's F or B)

are there any resources online where they can be compared either amongst one another or against actual measurements (millimeters, perhaps?)[huh]

I think if you go to: www.richardspens.com there's a page there with the information you want. Unfortunately I can't provide a direct link to the page itself, which is annoying.

Mr Zablosky

New in Town
I went into Paradise Pen in Dallas last week. Looks like they have stores in many cities and on-line. They were so into their pens and took my every question so seriously it reminded me of a Monty python skit.

I walked out with a plain black model with a fine nib from their in-store collection. The 5280 series. About $100. A hefty number that lets me know its in my pocket. Despite its very plain appearance people notice and comment on it. Several folks suddenly needed to write something down and ask to use it. I need to keep it hidden or find a way to say we are in a comitted relationship and get your own pen, thank you.

armod

Familiar Face
Shangas said:
I think if you go to: www.richardspens.com there's a page there with the information you want. Unfortunately I can't provide a direct link to the page itself, which is annoying.

also found a great glossary on that site with illustrations and great explanations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner