Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pens: Who uses them, and why?

Kifaru

New in Town
When I moved my family from the US to the UK and enrolled my boys in the local school the had to have fountain pens for school. They moaned at first but it did improve thier writing dramatically.

I have one I use at my home desk. I do not keep one at work as it would probably accidentaly "grow legs" (not on purpose, it would just mistakenly get picked up and used and slipped into a pocket absentmindedly). I used to travel with one but I had issues with losing ink. I have taken up the idea of just disposing of the catridge before I fly and putting a new one in before I need it. Wastefull perhaps, but at least I would have my trusty pen on hand.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hahahaha!! Mike I shouldn't call nuclear waste something that's in good working condition in 100 years!

I've always maintained that bottled ink is cheaper than cartridge ink, and ever since the age of 13 (when I proved to my parents that I could write with a fountain pen without turning the carpet a nice shade of Parker Quink blue/black), they allowed me to use my first bottle-fed fountain pen. Never looked back. It's fun to refill your pens the "old-fashioned" way, with buttons and levers and squeezy-sacs...

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Always a fountain pen!

Shangas,

All of my education was in the Catholic school system, from elementary school through my Masters degree. In elementary school, we only were allowed to use fountain pens. In fact, even our math papers had to be turned into the nuns written in ink!!! We always first did our math in pencil, but the finished product was done in ink...and with a fountain pen! Pretty amazing, when I look back at that.

Mark

Shangas said:
I've heard stuff like that a lot. In older times, you weren't allowed to use a fountain pen in school. And then later, you weren't allowed to use a ballpoint.

Why is that?

High Pockets

Practically Family
Miss Molly said:
I would love to know how to write with cursive handwriting! My writing is neat, and much more distinctive when I'm using a fountain pen, but still, cursive is just so elegant.

Shangas, the Harmonie pen looks lovely, thank you!

All of a sudden I feel so old..........

Are you guys serious? Cursive isn't being taught in schools today?:(
What a shame.......It's not like it takes very long to learn.

:) Miss Molly there are examples of Cursive alphabets and instruction on how to write the letters online, it's pretty easy to learn....although the pages I've seen are not quite the same as the ones that we were taught back in the '60's.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi HP,

I regret to say that yes, cursive is no-longer taught in schools. Or if it is, it won't be for much longer. I went to school in the early 1990s and graduated in 2005. I think I was the last generation of Australian schoolboys to be taught cursive. I've certainly not met anyone younger than 21 who knows how to write it. That's why I become rather skeptical when I hear someone say they teach handwriting. These days, "handwriting" generally means printing block-letters, not the flowing, curly, relaxed script that you and I remember from our childhood.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Wow. Who'd have thought that the cursive chart we used to see posted above the blackboard would even become obsolete?
WR8111_L.jpg

All is not lost quite yet, though; my 17 year old daughter learned cursive in school, and uses it on a regular basis.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
High Pockets said:

:) Miss Molly there are examples of Cursive alphabets and instruction on how to write the letters online, it's pretty easy to learn....although the pages I've seen are not quite the same as the ones that we were taught back in the '60's.

If one does not actually know how to write in cursive, this site, while geared for kids...starts at the very beginning, a very good place to start. ;)

http://www.donnayoung.org/penmanship/cursive.htm

http://www.donnayoung.org/penmanship/cursive-den.htm is where the worksheets are hiding

However this is the -modern- style....which was simplified out of what came before....

Before that style was the Palmer Method....

and before that was Spencerian.

The Palmer is much simpler and yet still very unusual for today's kids to learn.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
FP's every day. The ink selection alone makes it worth the effort. I look forward to running out of ink in my everyday (L'etalon) of 20+ years just to be able to fill with a different ink. I keep my Vanishing Point filled with Bay State Blue. Each has it's own smell, flow, hue and dry time. They change the whole feel of the process. Ok, a little excessive but we all have a room filled with hats. Some differences are not apparent to most but WE KNOW.
Tom D.

tortswon

Practically Family
I'm with you, Tom! I have 16 fountain pens on my desk and I use a different one every day. Each has their own ink. Writing with each of them feels different. Best, Sam

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Aaah. I'm often in the same predicament. Which pen to use!?

Today I'm going to the Roaring Twenties. I'm heading out to a reunion with friends before one of our old schools is torn down, and all the pens I'm bringing are solidly from the 1920s. Even the watch in my pocket is.

Do most of the people here use modern, or vintage fountain pens? My pens are mostly vintage.

Miss Molly

New in Town
High Pockets said:
Miss Molly there are examples of Cursive alphabets and instruction on how to write the letters online, it's pretty easy to learn....although the pages I've seen are not quite the same as the ones that we were taught back in the '60's.

I'll have a look, perhaps this will be my new project!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
If one does not actually know how to write in cursive, this site, while geared for kids...starts at the very beginning, a very good place to start. ;)

http://www.donnayoung.org/penmanship/cursive.htm

http://www.donnayoung.org/penmanship/cursive-den.htm is where the worksheets are hiding

However this is the -modern- style....which was simplified out of what came before....

Before that style was the Palmer Method....

and before that was Spencerian.

The Palmer is much simpler and yet still very unusual for today's kids to learn.

In Los Angeles and Glendale schools, we officially use the Zaner-Bloser cursive chart, although the cursive alphabet that I post in the classroom is many years old.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
High Pockets said:

I don't know about other parts of the country, but cursive is taught in 3rd grade in the Los Angeles area (probably the rest of CA, too). As I posted previously, my students use Sheaffer fountain pens for handwriting, and I allow no ballpoint or roller pens in our classroom.:mad:

High Pockets

Practically Family
Outstanding!!

:) I'm glad there are still teachers like you, Widebrim! We need a million more like you, perhaps a few of your students will grow up with a fondness for great pens and nice handwriting.

Why use a fine writing instrument and why use a fountain pen?

A fine pen, whether a fountain pen, rollerball, gel ink or ballpoint is a refillable pen, and is environmentally sound by having a non-disposable body that utilizes a refill of some sort. Much like the choice of wristwatch, a fine pen may be a work horse pen, plain and unassuming or a form of working jewelry to help accessorize ones personal appearance. As such it makes a statement about ones values and sensibilities, from stoic to extravagant. At the top levels of cost, a fine pen is art of the most uncommon sort, from hand painted Japanese lacquer, cloisonné enamel, formed precious metals and stones or using even more esoteric materials. The beauty of such pens reveals the spirit of handcraftsmanship that old world cultures bring to art or presents new designs with exciting uses of color and new materials. The use of a fine pen as a gift or as a presentation item is a time honored tradition in both the personal or corporate setting.

Why use a fountain pen? Fountain pens are seen as link back to a time of elegance and sophistication. Even today, fountain pens are still considered to be a superior writing instrument. They remain a singular, uncommon luxury employed by writers the world over to consign their thoughts and emotions to paper. Many writers that have returned to a fountain pen, while many are using them for the first time. Often the comment is that the writer feels a different connection to penning their thoughts. Many note that their thoughts seem to be more clearly and deeply expressed when writing with a fountain pen.

A fountain pen writes and handles differently than most pens. Each writer has their own valid reasons for the selection they favor of ballpoints, rollerball, or gel pens. The important physical property of ballpoint is the ink has the consistency of a paste that must be pressed onto the paper. It is all this pressing that leads to writer’s cramp and real hand fatigue. Both rollerball and gel ink pens take much less pressure to write, they flow even better than a ballpoint, and so gives the writer a smoother writing experience along with better control. A fountain pen that is well made will have the smoothest of all writing feel and needs no pressing to write. If the nib touches the paper it should make a mark so the writer need only guide the pen. For long term writing, journaling, or note taking, the fountain pen remains, even today, the best choice in writing instruments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21