Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frank Olive hat for Lillian Rubin

Nolagurl1956

New in Town
Hello. I’m somewhat intimidated by the Fedora Lounge forum as I can never find what I’m looking for, I’m sure it is operator error on my part, and there is so much knowledge and expertise here that I’m somewhat overwhelmed.
So charging ahead I have a couple of questions. First I’d like to learn about a vintage women felt hat made by Frank Olive for Lillian Rubin. Maybe my question is too narrow but it would be great if I could date the hat. Also I’d like to discover the best way to clean a felt. And since my question is about a women’s hat is it best to post my question or any questions regarding women’s hats in The Powder Room? Thanks.

Attachments

• 7BBB2E46-B89F-450F-B3CC-1C2872A87B5B.jpeg
    7BBB2E46-B89F-450F-B3CC-1C2872A87B5B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 2EFB8FF5-1146-4719-B5DC-9A2578911DBE.jpeg
    2EFB8FF5-1146-4719-B5DC-9A2578911DBE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
Hello. I’m somewhat intimidated by the Fedora Lounge forum as I can never find what I’m looking for, I’m sure it is operator error on my part, and there is so much knowledge and expertise here that I’m somewhat overwhelmed.
So charging ahead I have a couple of questions. First I’d like to learn about a vintage women felt hat made by Frank Olive for Lillian Rubin. Maybe my question is too narrow but it would be great if I could date the hat. Also I’d like to discover the best way to clean a felt. And since my question is about a women’s hat is it best to post my question or any questions regarding women’s hats in The Powder Room? Thanks.
Welcome to the Lounge. If you use Google to search it works much better than the integral search engine. Just type in The Fedora Lounge and the topic in to the Google search and you will find multiple threads to peruse. There are many posts/threads on cleaning hats. Firstly decide it you want a full deep cleaning or just a spot clean. Determine is the hat fur felt or wool felt?

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
Nolagurl - I’m a forum newbie but I can see already that there’s a lot of knowledge here.

@belfastboy thanks for sharing that advice on Google searching with Fedora Lounge in the keywords. I’ll remember that too.

I just did a Google search for Mr Rubin. Interesting character with a long history as a milliner. It seems as though his hats were made from wool felt not fur. At least based on what is for sale on Etsy & EBay. Be very careful in how you clean it as wool is not terribly resilient as a hatting material. Wool is great for sweaters but not so great for hats in terms of structure and longevity. .

Nolagurl1956

New in Town
Nolagurl - I’m a forum newbie but I can see already that there’s a lot of knowledge here.

@belfastboy thanks for sharing that advice on Google searching with Fedora Lounge in the keywords. I’ll remember that too.
Gary I can’t figure out how to post my question to the correct forum. Can you help?

Nolagurl1956

New in Town
I just did a Google search for Mr Rubin. Interesting character with a long history as a milliner. It seems as though his hats were made from wool felt not fur. At least based on what is for sale on Etsy & EBay. Be very careful in how you clean it as wool is not terribly resilient as a hatting material. Wool is great for sweaters but not so great for hats in terms of structure and longevity. .
Hi, Belfastboy. Yes I have read a bit about Frank Olive, the millinery designer, who made hats for the women’s clothing stores, Lillian Rubin. I was hoping to date the hat, maybe from the design on the label. Thanks for the tip on cleaning the wool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto