Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free books for Loungers

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I are doing some clearing out of the bookshelves (to make room for more books, no doubt), and there were a few titles that aren't of particular value, as far as selling them, but that I thought one Lounger or another might be interested in owning.

I'd like to get $3 for each to cover the cost of shipping (or most of it, anyway). I will be sending them Media Mail, the least expensive rate, and for that reason, I'll ask that only US-based Loungers claim them.

State your interest here, please, then send a private message.

Me and Orson Welles by Robert Kaplow
The movie's been discussed here in the lounge, I know, and this is the novel on which it was based (I think it's considered a Young Adult novel, but it doesn't read in any way like a kid's book).

meorson.jpg

Ten Percent of Life by Hiber Conteris, a Uruguayan writer (the book's translated into English).

From the book jacket: TEN PERCENT OF LIFE (1985) brings Philip Marlowe--Raymond Chandler's legendary private eye--back to the Los Angeles of 1956 to investigate the alleged suicide of Chandler's literary agent. Marlowe probes the unspoken but heavy-handed influence of the big Hollywood studios of the McCarthy era. Soon Chandler himself becomes a murder suspect, and the dangers of defending the defenseless from the powerful are laid out against a backdrop of glitzy boites, hushed seaside estates and glaring neon. Marlowe, freed from his creator, offers his opinion on everything from the ego and the id to forties jazz. [It's] an ingenious interplay between an author and his hard-boiled creation.
tenpercent.jpg

I also have a pair of James M. Cain later novels in hardback editions -- Mignon (published in 1962; no dustjacket) and Rainbow's End (1975; dustjacket in decent condition). Claim either or both, as you prefer.

mignon.jpg
rainbowsend.jpg

Gadgets and Gifts for Girls to Make, written and illustrated by Sheila Ostrander.
This slim illustrated volume was published in 1962. It's hardbound with a dustjacket that's in reasonably good condition (a tear or two).

From the book jacket: Ideas galore! Here is a book full of such exciting ideas for gadgets and gifts you will have a hard time deciding what to make first.

At little or no cost, you can spark up your clothes with clever accessories, make your own jewelry, organize your wardrobe. Glamorize your own room with personal touches your friends will want to copy--organize your desk and its contents, make your walls a showplace with useful, unique gadgets, display your hobbies in attractive new ways, and interior decorate your closet.
And so on...

gadgets.jpg

Little Readers' First Book: Good Stories Selected from John Martin's Book
This hardbound volume has copyrights ranging from 1917 to 1934, but the inscription -- To Judith from "Uncle" Dick Borton -- is dated 1946. It's filled with charmingly illustrated poems, stories, limericks and activities.

lilreaders.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Bump. If you're interested in claiming any of the above, speak up. I'll give it another day and they're off to Goodwill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner