FREE Resistol Shantung straw hat 7 1/8

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by deadlyhandsome, Jun 2, 2020.

1. This poor hat was sold to me as a size 7 3/4 which it wasn’t. It was also shipped in a too small box and arrived misshapen. The seller didn’t want the hat back and it’s of no use to me. Before I throw it away I thought I’d offer it here. The hat is free, but you’ll need to pay actual shipping costs. I’m sure I can ship it anywhere in the contiguous US for $16 or less.

**SOLD**

2AD60885-0F97-4792-B8A6-4E345FA75BCE.jpeg 24C3E05F-731D-42C1-BFB8-E3513A9AAC00.jpeg AD5EE583-1B88-4583-B578-BB216502F3F0.jpeg 03CE3E43-B7B2-4B58-A60B-A2281DE851D0.jpeg 0DC2C9E0-FA2A-4189-8C64-BE82DFDFD5AA.jpeg

Please send me a PM if you’re interested or have questions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    M Hatman likes this.
  2. **SOLD**

3. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Practically Family

The new owner should steam it with some hot water. The hat will automatically go back to its original shape.

deadlyhandsome likes this.

4. Have you worked with Shantung before? It will take more than just steaming it.

5. Marc mndt

No I haven't. Steaming worked perfectly on a Borsalino Panama extra fino. A shantung is extra sturdy?

6. Shantung is a processed fiber coated in some sort of plastic material. It’s a completely different type of “straw” compared to what real Panama hats are made from.

Marc mndt likes this.
  7. Marc mndt

Are such hats pleasant to wear, especially on warmer days when one would wear a Panama? A Panama hat made from straw absorbes some sweat. I guess coated fiber doesn't?

8. Both materials have their place. Toquilla straw is more comfortable and breaths. Shantung really needs ventilation woven into the hat to be comfortable as it doesn’t breathe. Shantung is a much better choice when rain is in the forecast and it’s a more rugged material. It’s also very stiff and plastic feeling.

Marc mndt likes this.