Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freemasons seeing a spike in new membership

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Like I said up-thread, I am a Mason. I haven't met a Mason yet that considers Freemasonry a religion. In fact the origin of it is actually to get away from religion. The only requirement for joining being that you believe in a deity, but not any particular one.

quickerNu

New in Town
I am a Mason as well, and a young one at that. I live in a military town, so there are lots of young soldiers in our lodge. I would say there are as many 20 somethings as 60 year+ men. I can't speak for all, but I was attracted to the history, the architectural allegory, and the fact that new members were investigated. It isn't a religion, but all members believe in god.

I like hanging out with people who are choosing to do something constructive (working to improve themselves through masonry) with their free time, than just hang at the bar or something similar.

Chas

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
It is funny how different people see things. I am amazed we can disuss FreeMasonry which I consider a religion definitely and/or ghost stories but cannot freely discuss Jesus Christ. I know.... I am a party pooper...

I feel sorry for the moderators. I really do..cest la vie....I figure it is life and to each his own. I do feel if someone doesn't want to see something they just don't have to read it or pass the thread...so I will.

That's because Masonry isn't a religion, Christianity is. And christians have plenty of places to discuss JC- lots of places, actually. There are lots of people in the FL who aren't christians, just like there are many who aren't Republicans, so that's why politics is banned.

I won't speak for the originator of the thread, but I guess that he was noting that the membership of Masonic lodges is climbing after years of decline- "back in the day" membership of fraternal orders was very common, and it was. Elks, Rotaries, Oddfellow/Rebecca etc. etc. etc.

If the thread was about the Elks Lodge, would we be having the same discussion??

Bustercat

A-List Customer
That's exactly my intention, Chas. Any local antique store is full of remnants of these old fraternal orders, whether it be engraved zippos, dishes or old yellowed felt fezzes next to the racks of army uniforms, dirty pipes, and goofy mid century executive gag desk toys. They're all remnants of an older generation and different way of life fading away. One of the most famous and beautiful buildings in my town is the masonic temple and a huge, historical elks lodge (now used mostly for weddings and high school dances). It's definitely a thing that was a part of people's lives, that's taken a decline as the greater population began to view clubs as antiquated, conformist, and even corny, like so many other rituals and accoutrements of daily life before the sexual revolution.
Just as if there was a sudden upsurge in swing dancing, big band venues, fedoras, or pipe smoking, it seems relevant to comment on.

Foofoogal

Banned
Well my point was it is very controversial. I could care less and am very versed in it for the record. We have been down this road before on the FL and it was very divisive.
I am not the only one if you Google this subject that has issues with it but post away. I am not a moderator.
As for the OP I have no problem with seeing what he is suggesting as far as memorabilia and such goes.

Old School QD

New in Town
Interesting. I've always been curious about freemasonery, but being an atheist, I didn't think that I'd ever have a chance at membership. I hadn't heard of the GOdF, but now I have something to investigate. Thanks to the poster who brought that up.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whilst trolling eBay this morning (someone beat me by 4 minutes to a BIN brown DB suit, dammit) I noticed several Masonic robes. 3 in fact, from one seller, dating from before 1900. Some had insignia on the sleeves, some not. They looked pretty cool. For initiations and meetings and such. But I could also see wearing them for more normal purposes.

I agree with the last few posters that this is a bit of American (and non-American) past that is quite interesting, and as lots of it occurred in the vintage period, it seems quite pertinent to various of the members of the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21