Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers worth it

Rgcards

A-List Customer
Often times, we come back to this minimalist approach but if that should hold the ultimate truth then every “sensible” man would be buying Grenson and Meermin shoes and those who opt for John Lobb and Edward Green are after the hype.
That's not it at all. What I'm saying is that the jacket isn't an end in itself, it's a means to an end. If a freewheelers jacket brings you joy and helps you live your best life, go for it. But if your looking for some mythical best, that's not going to happen. These are leather jackets.
I probably have 15 jackets that retail for 2000 or more dollars. I probably have 20 more that retail for less than 800. I have probably 20 more between those price points. There's not a best. There is a best fitting. There's a thickest. There's a warmest . There's probably a most durable. There is a one with highest stitch count. But no best.
I feel sometimes people get caught up in trying to find sometimes try to find some superior quality or workmanship. But I think the real question is what was the maker trying to do, and what are you trying to say by wearing it. Most of are trying to channel Brando or johnny Ramone, neither of whom could have afforded a freewheelers. But they wore the jacket in ways that made them iconic. Even if you can only afford a used gap trucker for 90 bucks you can make that look your own and be an iconic version of yourself.
Ps. in regards to the feel of shinki leather, the flat head feels and smells different than that used by other companies, although one of my fields is similar

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
That's not it at all. What I'm saying is that the jacket isn't an end in itself, it's a means to an end. If a freewheelers jacket brings you joy and helps you live your best life, go for it. But if your looking for some mythical best, that's not going to happen. These are leather jackets.
I probably have 15 jackets that retail for 2000 or more dollars. I probably have 20 more that retail for less than 800. I have probably 20 more between those price points. There's not a best. There is a best fitting. There's a thickest. There's a warmest . There's probably a most durable. There is a one with highest stitch count. But no best.
I feel sometimes people get caught up in trying to find sometimes try to find some superior quality or workmanship. But I think the real question is what was the maker trying to do, and what are you trying to say by wearing it. Most of are trying to channel Brando or johnny Ramone, neither of whom could have afforded a freewheelers. But they wore the jacket in ways that made them iconic. Even if you can only afford a used gap trucker for 90 bucks you can make that look your own and be an iconic version of yourself.
Ps. in regards to the feel of shinki leather, the flat head feels and smells different than that used by other companies, although one of my fields is similar
Very nice post, @Rgcards . Thought provoking. We all have different reasons for wearing leather jackets, chief amongst them is that they look cool. Myself, I realized that I like repurposing things. I have a big neon sign from a now-defunct restaurant on my wall as a decorative element. I have decorative carvings from 18-th century Japanese house as decoration, and I keep my CDs in a cast-iron German oven (don't ask...). So a 70-year old cop jacket that I wear is part of this repurposing, and consistent with how I operate. I have no desire whatsoever to own a new jacket. Weird, like I am wabi-sabi on steroids. Lol.

sshack

A-List Customer
Very nice post, @Rgcards . Thought provoking. We all have different reasons for wearing leather jackets, chief amongst them is that they look cool. Myself, I realized that I like repurposing things. I have a big neon sign from a now-defunct restaurant on my wall as a decorative element. I have decorative carvings from 18-th century Japanese house as decoration, and I keep my CDs in a cast-iron German oven (don't ask...). So a 70-year old cop jacket that I wear is part of this repurposing, and consistent with how I operate. I have no desire whatsoever to own a new jacket. Weird, like I am wabi-sabi on steroids. Lol.
Having some aspie tendencies, I definitely value my leather jackets a bit differently. If it's a high quality leather, I find the tactile hand feeling soothing and enjoyable. I like to touch or fiddle with a particular seam or corner... again, only if it's a high quality leather with that certain "bounciness."

Same goes for the scent-- some are awesome, others smell like trash.

Obviously, it's got to fit and make me look boss!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner