Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Hats and makers.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mossant teardrop Pork Pie

4167596660_7bcdf13028_b.jpg

4166836867_15d3d26cd6_b.jpg

4166836305_6240ebc16d.jpg
4166837113_c792d3e134.jpg
4167660990_e08c92c38f.jpg

"Mine" Dark Gray telescope with 2-3/8" overwelt brim and 3-1/2" crown. End of 1950's? About a Size 7.

buler

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Deep green color felt and ribbon. My stingiest with a 1-3/4" brim with overwelt. Really fine quality felt. Couldn't find any info on the hatmaker.

RLK, I couldn't find any info either. Forgot about this hat until you posted yours. Another Alonge & Cie.

B

alonge_2.jpg

alonge_3.jpg

alonge_4.jpg

alonge_5.jpg

alonge_6.jpg

alonge_7.jpg

alonge_8.jpg

alonge_9.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
RLK, Nice finds! You are always coming up with interesting hats!

Buler, Is that a USA Union stamp? I wonder if it was made under license?

Looks like a normal USA Union tag to me. If you look at the right side of the size/to dup tag you'll see a white stamping under it that also looks like the Union stamp. [huh] Maybe these were made in the US??

B

buler said:
Looks like a normal USA Union tag to me. If you look at the right side of the size/to dup tag you'll see a white stamping under it that also looks like the Union stamp. [huh] Maybe these were made in the US??

B

I seem to recall something similar with a brand in the JohnnyPhi collection. Also believe Mario has one that turned out to be made in the US.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
I seem to recall something similar with a brand in the JohnnyPhi collection. Also believe Mario has one that turned out to be made in the US.

Right. You can look it up a few posts back on page two of this thread. A light gray Lucien de Brabant et Frère. Very stingy, very late 50's, very much taper all around. I don't wear it anymore, so it will probably end up in the Classifieds section.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
buler said:

B
No US Trademark registered for Alongé. My hat has no Union Tag and just a typed square size(#only) tag under the liner at rear. Unreeded sweatband. The liner logo also has Maison de Launey Fondée en 1830 around the Logo.

AEH

One of the Regulars
Alongé for the US market?

buler said:

B
A few days ago I took some pictures of my Alongé porkpie, and was surprised to find these US tags as well. I bought this from a US seller on eBay some time ago, so this hat has made a few Atlantic crossings! Or can the printing on the sweatband in English (Blended imported furs), suggest that it was meant for an English speaking market, and never really left the US?

alonge_1.jpg

alonge_2.jpg

alonge_3.jpg

alonge_4.jpg

AEH said:
A few days ago I took some pictures of my Alongé porkpie, and was surprised to find these US tags as well. I bought this from a US seller on eBay some time ago, so this hat has made a few Atlantic crossings! Or can the printing on the sweatband in English (Blended imported furs), suggest that it was meant for an English speaking market, and never really left the US?

alonge_1.jpg

It would show that the hat was made in the USA. I believe that JohnnyPhi had some of these too.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Fuzzy Fléchet

4251447893_57167a6067_b.jpg

4251559109_4bf2e9833e.jpg
4251448173_098872409f.jpg

Desperately needs a re-blocking and cleaning. Brushed out lots of dust but seems to bulge out at the base in width making it nearly a wide oval and nearly a size larger than its label. Feathers could be fresher and this is actually a hat that is designed for the feathers. 2-1/4" brim with double rows of stitching. Olive Green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points