Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Hats and makers.

I must admit that when I go to "general" thrift stores here in Paris, most of the fedoras I see are black. It depends however, because some of these stores are more specialized than others, and in these we tend to see more colorful hats. And, I keep in mind that not every item we can find there are French.

As you say, maybe black hats were worn more rarely or for more "special" occasions and that's why a greater number of them have survived ... That would be interesting to know.

Black hats were the biggest seller but that was the case everywhere (pre 1940). It's not like people in the America were wearing colorful hats (actually they were very conservative) while everyone in Europe was wearing black hats (general view on the FL which IMO is wrong). American newspaper ads (late 1800s to early 40s) for Euro hats almost always mention unique colors and finishes as selling points. I know for sure that Velours came in very unique colors and they were popular in France (both French and Austrian).

Last edited:

Purplesage

One Too Many
Aux Galeries Lafayette Part 2

Baron I thought the Aux Galeries Lafayette you posted looked strangely familiar. Seems like I bought this a couple of years ago, maybe from you. The hat has a 2 3/8" brim with the raw edge, 5 3/4" open crown which is wrapped in a 2" grosgrain ribbon with sharks gill bow with frayed edges and an unreeded leather sweatband. I wish I knew more about the company. It's probably my favorite French hat. I'm thinking it might be from the 20s, what do you think?

photo2-27_zps7f6a982d.jpg

photo1-137_zpsfd3b350d.jpg

photo2-41_zps0e2cbd61.jpg

photo2-29_zps45af66a8.jpg

photo2-126_zpsd4d765ed.jpg

photo1-102_zps8fc68330.jpg

photo4-24_zps7f1a3747.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I always admired that one but never purchased it. Let me know if it ever gets to the chopping block, Purplesage.

Garrett

Wow, I am seriously losing it! :eusa_doh: Now trying to remember why I let it go

chrism

New in Town
Just spent a day walking by the sea in Wintry weather here in Brittany at a place famous for retired rich Parisiens . I , an old man , wore my London fine fur felt Lincoln Bennett trilby , bought in London when I was 50 years old. The firm closed in 1966. I wore it with a traditional trench coat . I noticed this seemed to afford some amusement and comment by passers by , whom , I noted , mostly wore jeans , anoraks and beano hats. Gosh , I really must get up to date.

frenchgentleman

New in Town
That's funny, Baron Kurtz, because the hat your are posting comes from a hatter in Marvejols, and my grandparents and great-grandparents lived in Marvejols, a small town in Lozère. Maybe they knew this hatter!

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
I just had a delivery from France some nice Mossant & Flechet

Mossant, I was thinking 40's ?

il_570xN.586464438_7sl5.jpg

il_570xN.586464508_782q.jpg

Flechet

il_570xN.586443940_7p73.jpg

il_570xN.586551877_fjuq.jpg

Mossant

il_570xN.586438532_s0qy.jpg

il_570xN.586546395_w89g.jpg

I also have a very early Flechet photo will follow

I had a couple more as well as the French Silk Top hat that I posted in the Ebay thread, its nice to have a change from the usual G/A hats I get.

french hats 001.jpg french hats 002.jpg french hats 003.jpg

Hi Folks

My small collection consist of two French fedora's.

1- The brown Flechet. Very common fedora.

2- Is a stingy brim "Piaget".. Great color in my humble opinion.

Interesting to note on the Piaget... I have posted questions here on the lounge concerning this little beauty and her maker however no one seems to have any knowledge thereof... I have not been successful locating another therefore any information would be much appreciated..
Thank you and best regards.

CCJ

Paddy, Nice finds! I really like the look of the Mossant.

Joe, Not aware of Piaget. It doesn't come up my Kelley lists for 1964. Does it have a paper label?

Richard, The COL looks fantastic! Not aware of the maker. There is a large void here regarding French companies.

ManofKent

Paddy, Nice finds! I really like the look of the Mossant.

Joe, Not aware of Piaget. It doesn't come up my Kelley lists for 1964. Does it have a paper label?

Richard, The COL looks fantastic! Not aware of the maker. There is a large void here regarding French companies.

Thanks Steve - I picked up four hats from the same seller two were really nice (including the COL), one should be okay after a fair bit of pouncing and the other was so heavily mothed it went bin-wards.

Paddy - they're nice finds, particularly the Mossant. The good Flechet I picked up (photos will follow) is similar to yours but with a dotted ribbon rather than a self-ribbon.

Joe - I think Piaget was a label used for US store stock, they might not have been French, but I've no idea who made them.

Hi Folks

I will get to work on taking the Piaget apart tomorrow.. Interesting that I have not been able to locate another.
Thank you all for your help and opinions.
Best regards.
CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran