Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From Florida, Notes from the Road

griffer

Practically Family
My wife and I spent the last several days down in Flroida visiting family and an old friend.

While there, we spent some time in St. Augustine. Very cute, historic town, albeit a tourist town.

While strolling, I ditched the wife and in-laws (with permission), to explore a hat store.

I expected a tourist trap of Bailey's, Kangols, and novelty hats. Those were there, but tucked in a corner was the real hat shop. Borsalinos, Akubras, and Stetsons. But most impressively, a very wide range of Panamanians. Hence, the name-

The Panama Hat Company of St. Augustine.

Tony Lippi spent significant time with me explaining his business, the Panamanian hat, and indicators of quality. Not really a straw man myself, I loved the information. He picked up on my limited hat knowledge and was very gracious. He even unlocked his prized hat, a very Fino $3,000 Panama. It was like holding a crepe with a delicate open weave on the crown. My wife arrived just in time to stop me from doing anything foolish, and even she was impressed with the quality and workmanship.

Then he asked if I was familiar with Classic Style magazine and the return of the hat. I grinned like an goofball. It was like stumbling on a secret brother from an associated lodge. I mentioned the Fedora Lounge, and he nodded.

I didn't end up buying from him, but he said he is getting geared up to start taking custom Panama orders on the web. I have every intention of replacing my cheap straw with one of his customs.

Thought I'd share.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Great story Griffer! ....and thanks for the heads up on the shop. I get over that way on occasion for work, I'll be sure to pay them a visit.:)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
LOL..from past threads Tony's shop has been discussed and by accounts, he's a "good guy", although generally overpriced Griffer. ( what else is new when talking Monti's). Our own PanamaBob supplies hats equal to any in the nation at much less expense so before plunking down the bucks you might want to talk to him.
St. Augustine is a fun place...Enjoy!!!

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
griffer said:
Then he asked if I was familiar with Classic Style magazine and the return of the hat. I grinned like an goofball. It was like stumbling on a secret brother from an associated lodge. I mentioned the Fedora Lounge, and he nodded.

Good stuff!

Matt

griffer

Practically Family
Art Fawcett said:
LOL..from past threads Tony's shop has been discussed and by accounts, he's a "good guy", although generally overpriced Griffer. ( what else is new when talking Monti's). Our own PanamaBob supplies hats equal to any in the nation at much less expense so before plunking down the bucks you might want to talk to him.
St. Augustine is a fun place...Enjoy!!!

Hey speaking of custom hats.... what's next with us, Art?

I owe you a call!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Montes

Thanks for that anecdote Griffer.

I visited Ft Augustine years ago with an ex and it was a big moment for me.

Having travelled through Latin America I had stayed in some ancient places (Cuzco) and then some really old Hispanic places (that historic town in the Atacama with the old priest Padre le Paige?? the name escapes me but Pedro de Valdivia passed through there) which dated to 1550s. But when you think Ft Augustine is really the first place (1505) the Spanish landed to settle in the New World continent then that is something special.

Re Montecristi hats.

Is there any form of MC that you can were out on a rainyish/showery day or is it simply impossible due to the fine weave?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
$3000.00

You'd might want to take a ZERO off of that price if it had the open weave on it. If it was a full weave, you might want to take off about $2000 or more.

Re Montecristi hats.

Is there any form of MC that you can were out on a rainyish/showery day or is it simply impossible due to the fine weave?

I'm sure one of those shellaqued hats would be fine.

silvereed

Familiar Face
Interesting "Fact" ?

A little known fact:
Your hat size (such as 7 ¼, for example) is really the diameter of your head. Simply divide your head circumference in inches by pi (3.14....), and bam! You have your hat size. See, life sometimes can make sense after all.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
silvereed said:
A little known fact:
Your hat size (such as 7 ¼, for example) is really the diameter of your head. Simply divide your head circumference in inches by pi (3.14....), and bam! You have your hat size. See, life sometimes can make sense after all.

Or, for most people, it's what the diameter of your head would be if it were a perfect circle.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
I was in the same hat shop...

...in St. Augustine when I was there on vacation last month. I agree with both earlier comments, very nice folks, and way too expensive. I tried on their packable Borsalino, which immediately convinced me to order instead an Akubra Casual from Morgan to take on an upcoming trip overseas--now received, and I am very happy with it. The Borso was tagged at $300.00. BTW, I was wearing a vintage Open Road when I visited them--they spotted it immediately and stopped me to talk about it.

griffer

Practically Family
Yes, they had Fedoras.

I don't think it's fair to speculate on whether the 3K hat was worth it or not- caveat emptor. Mostly, you should not go by my wildly amatuerish description of the hat in valuing it- I barely know a little felt terminology, when it comes to straw so I am not a reliable source. My point was that inflated or not, he walked me through the increasing grades of quality and gave me a great little intro/primer in straw. And that he did for free.

I never claimed they were a 'good deal', but he was knowledgable and affable. It was one of several high points on a very nice little trip.
This was intended to be an anecdote of a pleasant experience involving hats in an awesome little town, not an advertisement for the store.

Stoney

Practically Family
Nice story griffer. I , for one, love to stop in St Augustine whenever I'm in that neck of the woods, err beach, just to stroll around and enjoy the scenery. It's still one of the most breathtaking places I've ever been, and I've seen quite a few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner