Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From the Hills of Beverly -- Jack Taylor

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a lot of dough, but honestly, if you do have the money there are a lot worse things to spend it on than a proper bespoke suit that you can wear and enjoy for perhaps the rest of your life.

I'd sure do it if I could, and God willin' and the creeks don't rise, I shall be doing so in the near future.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hemingway Jones said:
I am anxious to see his artistry. :)

Jack Taylor is not a tailor, he's a fitter, a master fitter. He is known to have a great EYE, but he doesn't cut or sew.

That said, you'll walk out of Jack Taylor's shop with a great suit.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
An amazing eye.

He might be 89 and hard of hearing...but the man is still on top of his game regarding suits.

I am flying back on Monday for next episode of this sartorial adventure.

Don't worry about the details of the story. Our photographer is shooting the whole process. You can read all about it in the premiere issure of Classic Style.:cool:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm not the Photographer though I took some pics. and they are coming slowly.
IMG_5584-vi.jpg

IMG_5585-vi.jpg
<-- Jack writing down measurements and asking MK's style preferences.

IMG_5586-vi.jpg

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
So, I drove down to Beverly Hills today and paid Mr Taylor and his wife Bonnie a visit. I found them to be charming, interesting and Mr. Taylor a master of his trade. Unfortunately at $3200 a suit by Mr. Taylor would inflict a serious blow on my budget and in consideration of other projects I want to undertake this year, I will have to look elsewhere. In any case meeting the Taylors was a real pleasure and memorable experience.

And so the search for a tailor continues. Next on the list is a gentleman from Hong Kong, who appears to have been trained in England and has a shop on Wilshire Blvd, near the Veterans Center.

Cheers.

RC

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I have been to Jack's place several times. The jacket is by far the best I have ever put on....including an off the rack Oxxford. It is an amazing fit.

Unfortunately they made pants the wrong style (flat front with funky western style pockets) and are going to make me a second pair with pleats and normal pockets at no charge.

They might be finished tomorrow.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
MK said:
Unfortunately they made pants the wrong style (flat front with funky western style pockets) and are going to make me a second pair with pleats and normal pockets at no charge.

They might be finished tomorrow.

He tried to sell me on those, too. Western style slit pockets, no pleats and no cuffs. Rather strange I thought.

RC

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I was there today and have several pics. The suit looks fantastic. To use a word I rarely use.. it's just Fabulous!.

The Shoulders arms, collar... nice roped shoulders... the drape is superb... sleaves set in well and are angled specifically for the curvature of his arms.

I want to see it with the pleated trousers. It's not Jack's style. He's adament about the no pleats and front western style pockets... It's not just his trademark, it's what he thinks is the epitome of tailoring. Though For me if i were to get trousers custom made I still need my back pocket for the wallet and am not sure I want to stick my car keys in a front slash pocket of flat front trousers.

The suit is very very well made by hand, and I mean by hand by several tailors in the back rooms. Skims MK's frame and makes his shape look balanced and symetrical. The suit was completely tailored in the back rooms of Jacks shop.

Now to check out the local Zegna, Duncan Quinn, Brioni and a couple other shops in Beverly that offer what they call custom tailoring. Different styles, and some are more custom than others. Jack Taylors suit is definately a marvel when it comes to looks and fit. It's perfect. Chicago has Rocco -- Beverly Hills has Jack Taylor.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow! This is an amazing process. It must be so incredible to have something custom tailored to you to that extent. Also, you're getting to learn so much about this process and tailoring in general, and we are by extension.

I am really looking forward to the article, and, to use a pun: in seeing the genuine article. ;) :)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

It has been a big learning experience. I have read a few articles about writers having bespoke suits made, but it is not like going through the process yourself.

When Matt and I left Jack's place we stopped by Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren on Rodeo Drive. Usually I feel a little out of place and slightly intimidated going into a place that has the rich & famous as their daily customers. Not this time. I knew I looked like a million bucks and probably the best dressed man there. I could see some of the salesman trying to figure out which suit I was wearing. Most just had that curious expression. One guy at RL ask me, "is that one of the new Brooks Brothers?" I said no, that Jack Taylor made this for me. I enjoyed that confidence.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters