Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: 1950s California Sportwear Police Jacket - Chrome Tanned Steerhide

AHP91

Practically Family
Hello,

Up for grabs is this 1950s California Sportwear police jacket in chrome tanned steerhide. This jacket has become iconic, and its pattern has been reproduced by the Real McCoys, Freewheelers, among others. No surprise as this pattern is truly stunning.

This jacket is a must have, in my opinion. Truly a pleasure to wear - lighter weight, breathable, and an amazing modern sleek fit to it. Esteemed member and collector Terry Mitchell has a few videos showcasing these jackets -

California Sportwear has been known as a premier garment marker for over 100 years. Known for producing everything from workwear to leather garments, they boasted a vast catalogue. Their work spanned the production of high end civilian products for American citizens during the Hollywood heyday, and also proudly maintained a contract for the production of jackets for the US military. Collectors rave about the quality of California Sportwear's leather garments.

The beautiful chrome-tanned leather is overall good on this piece - some wear as pictured. The lining is overall good, no tearing, just some loose threads. The jacket has flaking on the collar, as pictured. The flaking does not extend beyond the front of the collar. A nice little repair could include the placement of corduroy fabric to protect the collar (a feature that was actually commonly used for jackets in the mid 20th century.

Further, there is a repair that was done near one of the front pockets. I believe this area could be patched up further to reinforce this area. Lastly, a bit of puncture on the back of the jacket, as pictured. Not too big of a blemish, and the leather remains in this area. I imagine it can be patched up without much trouble. I believe the jacket is certainly wearable as is, but some repairs could spruce this one up even more.

Both Talon diamond pulls remain and the pockets are intact. No foul odors. I am unsure if the main zip is a replacement or was repaired, but it is a Conmatic period appropriate zipper and works well. Little perforations on the sleeve where police badges were placed make this truly a cool time capsule piece.

The blemishes on the jacket have been considered, and I have also priced this jacket to sell. It's truly a beautiful jacket in California Sportwear's unbelievably sturdy chrome-tanned steerhide.

Vintage tag might say 40 (?), but please refer to the actual measurements listed below (and pictured). Please allow a small degree of discrepancy due to human error.

Pit to pit: 21" - the unique football articulations under the armpits actually allow for a bit of extra room in the area, but my best judgement is 21" without taking too many extra liberties;
Shoulder to shoulder: 18"
Sleeve (measured straight from shoulder to cuff): 23.5"
Back length from bottom of collar: 23.4"
Front length: 24.25"
Bottom hem (cinched a little bit, and could probably go wider if you remove the laces: 18.5"

Price is 175 shipped in the continental U.S. (Paypal Friends and Family). Please note that I do my best to exhibit the condition and size of the jacket. If you have any questions at all about the aforementioned, please do not hesitate to reach out.

260C4A9F-B477-442E-9C85-2C6A1FF6A5BF.jpeg
F3526DA5-BE13-4334-A6B5-7F7437AC806B.jpeg
285EB2EE-123E-431B-84E7-5A531D5AA66F.jpeg
09E23D35-C85B-49DD-B992-CB1EE927CB5E.jpeg
D0D8FEA9-60CC-4D93-8E1C-E3482B61EF30.jpeg
982EC63D-495D-4259-B4B8-997623A34C7D.jpeg
51A1C306-5C2B-40CF-B3D9-45EEEA0F9891.jpeg
257BD4EC-303B-4AF1-A903-2538DFB72C03.jpeg
499325FD-F5C0-4BDB-9AF2-862E9381E685.jpeg
C5B615B6-53BE-4FFA-8ACE-EBFE0376593D.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Love that jacket. I have several of them. Paid lot more for them than this sale price. Grate deal. The collar can be upgraded the old fashion way with some corduroy fabric or hide.

AHP91

Practically Family
Love that jacket. I have several of them. Paid lot more for them than this sale price. Grate deal. The collar can be upgraded the old fashion way with some corduroy fabric or hide.
There you have it folks; OG member photo has been around the block and knows a deal when he sees one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner