Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Early 1930s German DB suit solid black flannel size 37

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Up for sale is a presumably early 30s continental solid black DB suit in a lighterweight woolen flannel. As usual, this is priced to move. I paid €210 for it.

I found that I'm wearing my DB stroller jacket more often than this black suit, so I can offer the suit here. The jacket of this suit with its welted pockets would also make an excellent DB stroller.

$225.- plus shipping from Germany

(€200 for the European Loungers)

PM me if interested. Payment by PayPal or within the EU by bank transfer.
Shipping cost:
Germany €7
EU €17
US, Canada $22 (reduced rate for the US/CAN Loungers, actual shipping is twice that amount)

Construction and dating:

Continental construction, likely of German provenance, but could be from another central European country as well.
Almost pagoda type shoulder, but relatively soft. More chest padding than the American counterparts, but again softer than what you'd expect from a German suit of the period.
Dating is a bit foggy, likely early 30s but could also be of a later date and made according to earlier fashions.
No labels whatsoever, which is not uncommon for continental suits as they were tailor-made more often than not.

Trousers are cuffless and have elastic side tabs, angled welted side pockets, and are pleated.
The trousers have not been altered, so the position of the pockets (and the excess fabric left to let out the trousers if necessary) is all original.

Measurements:

JACKET:
chest 20.5" / 52cm
shoulder width at widest point (upper/outer seams) 17.4" / 44.2cm
waist 17.7" / 45cm
back length from neck seam 27.3" / 69.5cm
sleeve length 24.0" / 61cm
sleeve width at cuff 6.3" / 16cm

TROUSERS:
waist (half) 15.3" / 39cm with the tabs fully relaxed
outseam 39.9" / 101.2cm with 1.4" / 3.5cm to let out
inseam 28.5" / 72.5cm
front rise 14.6" / 37cm
back rise 15.75" / 40cm
width at hem 9.85" / 25cm

All measurements taken with the garment laying flat and the fabric fully extended, but not stretched. The chest measurement therefore is as close to an exact measurement as possible, with no allowance - the fabric is fully extended even at the armpits.

This jacket is constructed to fit 37 and 38 chest sizes - not larger. A size 36 can get away with it.

The sleeve length is ideal for someone who takes a 32"-32.5" shirt sleeve.

Sleeve configuration (cuffs!) and trouser configuration are still original.

Condition:

Flawless!
Excellent throughout, no holes, bites, ripped seams, repairs, wear spots, shiny spots or anything, no abrasion except for absolutely minimal wear (really almost nonexistent) to the fabric edges which is far less than what you'd expect of a suit of this age (see closeups).
No odours, no hairs etc. etc. Freshly dry-cleaned by an excellent cleaner who does all pressing by hand.

The flannel fabric is very nice indeed!

XWW48yL.jpg

VdMJ46f.jpg

97QZk9W.jpg

EpvKtBO.jpg

OX4duDB.jpg

E8uDTDa.jpg

k36DIHR.jpg

piFrI4p.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
gyMPceE.jpg

m2zq1Zg.jpg

l8QUomD.jpg

Rqw4OsP.jpg

This is the jacket alone (worn as an odd jacket). For reference, I'm 37"/30", 5'8" (173cm).

3WbGtRy.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Dropped to:

$222.- shipped to the US/Canada (reduced shipping rate)
€197.- shipped within the EU
€187.- shipped within Germany

Other countries, please enquire.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Weekend drop, valid until Sunday midnight PST:

$199.- shipped to the US/Canada (reduced shipping rate)
€179.- shipped within the EU
€169.- shipped within Germany

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Still no bites, so another price drop is in order before this suit eventually goes to eBay.

$189.- shipped to the US/Canada (reduced shipping rate)
€169.- shipped within the EU
€159.- shipped within Germany

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Bump for an excellent suit with armholes and shoulders cut so well that the lapels and collar hardly move even when you lift both arms over your head.

Rather than bump all threads, let me point you to my other vintage items for sale here:

1943 tan gabardine wool DB trenchcoat with wool liner, Kling Bros. Chicago, Sz 36

Post-WWII Borsalino Ecosca Palladio/grey Qualità Extra Extra Superiore Size 7 1/4

post-WWII Borsalino Gorasgu Palladio (grey) cav edge Size US 7 1/4

remaining Scabal combination Sz 37 plus cashmere overcoat Sz 37-38

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Still available. No further price drops.

$189.- shipped to the US/Canada (reduced shipping rate)
€169.- shipped within the EU
€159.- shipped within Germany

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I probably won't bump this again before fall/winter. After this weekend (July 19th), the suit will be stored in another closet and won't be available for immediate dispatch. It remains for sale, though.

If you want the suit and want it shipped right away, now is the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner