Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Knox Foxhound pastel sage Size 7 1/8

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Up for sale is this lovely Knox Foxhound with embroidered liner.
This hat dates to the 1950s to 1960s. The sweatband is very thin and in good condition; the stitchings are all intact. The embroidered liner originally had a plastic cover which I carefully removed as the plastic was rather thick and stiff; it didn't feel right when picking up the hat by the crown.

Size 7 1/8. It's a comfortable 7 1/8, so it would fit a spot-on 7 1/8 head as well as an in-between sized head (57.4cm).

Specs:
5.5" open crown, 2 5/16" brim with a poor man's cavanagh edge that also has a nice snap to it (high flange).
This edge treatment is a variation of the underwelt; the welt is not stitched through to the upper side of the brim; the welt pulls down the edge in a way that the upper side of the brim imitates a cav edge.
Felt color: a pastel shade of light sage green; a light green with tan undertones.
The felt has minor discolorations on the underside, closer to the sweatband.
The felt is moderately lightweight.
The grosgrain ribbon has a texture that I have seen in other Foxhound hats but only rarely in other hat models. The color is rather difficult to describe; the ribbon complements the felt color beautifully. The pictures render the color of both the felt and the ribbon quite accurately.

Issues:
On moth divot directly at the sweatband in the rear part; absolutely not visible when worn and not really noticably when handled.
Two tiny dark spots in the front area of the crown; hardly noticable. I have marked them in the closeup of the front pinch.
One dark spot on the ribbon, haven't cleaned it but it might come off. Not very noticable either.

I'm asking €65 or $78 plus shipping (from Germany), which is:

to Germany: €7 ($8.50)
to EU: €17 ($20)
to USA: € 36 ($44)

Feel free to ask questions or to make an offer via PM. The ugly diffused spot that you may be able to see on every single image, always in the same place, is the recent result of a litte camera accident and not a spot on the hat itself.

KnoxFoxhound1950-60s.jpg

P1050445-1.jpg

P1050446-1.jpg

P1080509.jpg

P1080512.jpg

P1080514.jpg

P1080515.jpg

P1080517.jpg

Poor man's cav edge:

P1080520.jpg

P1080523.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Cont'd

Two tiny dark spots on the hat:

P1080524.jpg

Moth divot near the sweatband:

P1080527.jpg

Order label:

P1080528.jpg

P1050444-1.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Pics coming up, stay tuned. Being a classic country style, this model does have some taper when viewed from the front or back.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Pics of the hat's faults:

Dark spot on ribbon next to the front, slightly to the right side.

P1080650.jpg

The liner, once covered with foil, still shows remnants of the plastic foil cover, very evenly along the stitching.

P1080655.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Good news regarding shipping to the U.S.:

An equivalent to USPS First Class Int'l is actually available for $20, so the Knox Foxhound would be $98 including shipping to the U.S. It will be shipped in a smaller box, still large enough to accomodate the hat without having to bend the brim or crown.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
is this hat still 4 sale and is the color closer to gray or tan?

Yes, it's still for sale. The color is a light sage green with tan undertones. More greenish than tan.
As you can send & receive PMs only after 15 posts, feel free to post in this thread if you'd like the hat.

that poor man's Cavanagh edge is just an underwelt, right?

Sure, it's a variation of the underwelt (see post #1).
As you can see in the pics, the welt is executed in a specific way to pull down the felt at the sewing line on top side of the brim, resulting in a surface that very closely resembles a cavanagh edge when seen from above and shows the welt when seen from below.

Last edited:

davidraphael

Practically Family
Nice hat!
A bit too small for me though, unfortunately (normally 58-ish, occasionally edging toward 59)

Still, I will keep checking in for more great hat opportunities! - I'm already in Germany and transactions would be easy per Uberweisung.
Feel free to send me details of possible hats if you're thinking of selling more! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav