Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: US Navy G1 sz50 Long , 55J14 brown leather pilot jacket, Willis & Geiger USMC

Tkecks

Familiar Face
US Navy G1 sz50 Long , 55J14 brown leather pilot jacket, Willis & Geiger USMC

s-l1600.jpg

(More photos on ebay)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/282281340448?

US Navy Marines USMC G1 leather pilots jacket in size 50 LONG with USMC badge and coin leather pull accents

Reddish brown leather, good quality leather with pebbled texture.

Huge size! If you're a heavily built tall person looking for a vintage G1 then this might be the jacket for you (I know these are hard to find!). The badge and coin additions are really nice touches and add some historical character.

The original label is well preserved and reads:

BUAER - U.S. NAVY
G-1 FLIGHT JACKET
SPEC. 55J14 (AER
CONTRACT NO.N383S-39943
WILLIS & GEIGER INC.
NEW YORK, N.Y.
U.S.A.
50 LONG

This G1 jacket is one of the remade 55J14's from the 1980's, manufactured by the original manufacturer Willis & Geiger.

I am not the original owner; the original owner was presumably a US Marine serving in Japan. These civilian jackets were made in larger sizes than available as official issue, so I am guessing this big-bodied marine made this private purchase to get a jacket which fit him!

The collar is fake fur with no notable loss, and is a mid to dark brown color, (ie. not black like the later D and E series). The waistband and cuffs are thick and in okay condition, a bit frayed in places and there's a mark on one cuff (see photos).

The brass zipper is a Scovill paperclip style, and still has its leather pull with two coins threaded on to help pull it up and down. The coins have holes in the middle and are probably Japanese.

2 front pockets with additional handwarmer side pockets: 1 inside pocket.
Brass zipper front
Soft liner in average condition
Brass armpit grommets with no corrosion
Inner leather label with makers info (photo)
US Marine Corps shoulder badge
Japanese coins used as leather tag tabs

Slight scuffs in places; lining thin or come away in a couple of places (see photos), dirt mark on cuff; cuffs and waistband slightly frayed but generally good condition for a jacket from this era.

SIZE
Tagged as a chest size 50" LONG, which is extremely large for a G1 jacket of any era, and hard to find. This is the biggest vintage G1 I have seen! It is probably equivalent to a modern day XL, or maybe even XXL. I am wearing it in the photo and am a 46-48" chest, 6' 1.5" tall and slightly overweight and I can wear it with a shirt and fleece underneath and it is still a bit too large and slightly too long.

Measurements when zipped up and laying flat-
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 21"
Chest (armpit to armpit): 24.5"
Length (bottom of collar to bottom hem): 26.5"
Armpit seam to end knitted cuff: 21"
Shoulder seam to end knitted cuff: 25"

Overall this is a rare find in a very wearable size; one of the few chances a tall well-built person might have to own a vintage G1 Jacket. I'm only selling it because it is too big for me.

Sold as-is, no returns.

From a smoke-free home

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner