Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: USAF vintage N2B, Skyline 1962, size Large

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
For sale one USAF N2B parka, size Large, made by Skyline in 1965 (as per Atticus). There are a number of condition issues and some good and bad points which I describe below. I’ve included photos from the guy who originally sold it to me, but please rely on my descriptions. Basically, this thing needs a good cleaning and a few minor repairs. I’m simply not interested in bothering, so I’m selling this thing for the price of shipping and someone else can get it up to snuff. Just don’t put it in a washing machine for heaven’s sake!

Bad points:

- part of the wolf fur ruff is missing and the rest is on its last legs, so that will need to be replaced (not a hard job actually since it’s just sewn onto the shell)
- some small orange stains on the lower right sleeve and on the hood, these appear to be rust stains and should come out easily; believe it or not these don’t look weird at all
- several largish dark stains on the hood and the back; these I suspect are oil stains which are making the nylon stiff in those areas and are unsightly… I have no idea how easy those will be to clean and I presume a dry cleaner could do something (although personally I’d be tempted to get a sponge and a light detergent and do those areas only, being very careful not to soak the jacket’s insulation, but that’s tricky… it’s probably best to stick with a dry cleaner)
- wool cuff knits have a few small holes which need darning; note that these are on the top layer only and do not go all the way through, so they’re not serious
- wool waistband knit has a chewed spot on the right front which is clear in the photo; this is actually not as bad as it looks in the photo and with some careful sewing would be perfectly wearable and the waistband does not need replacing
- zips are gummy but after cleaning and with some beeswax they should run smooth

Good points:

- no smells
- no tears or cuts!
- lining is perfectly clean
- no fading from ultraviolet
- pile lining of hood is soft and clean
- leather pull tabs on zips are barely used
- knits are quite good for such an old jacket and don't need replacement
- jacket is generous in length for a Large (long enough for some who is 6')
- jacket has almost certainly never been cleaned: this is bad because it means stains were never addressed, but it’s a good thing since it means the jacket probably hasn’t been through a washing machine (dry clean only!)

Overall, my sense is that with a sensitive cleaning, replacement of the wolf fur, and some darning of the knits, this would be a good wearable and fully authentic and intact vintage USAF flyers jacket. I think it’s worth doing because the ‘bones’ of this jacket appear to be 100% solid, but I simply don’t have the energy for messing around with old gear (for instance, I like old cars but I really just need a modern-day family sedan to get me from A to B). If this was a nomex jacket I'd just throw it in the washing machine, let it drip dry, and voila ready to wear, but the wool insulation in this jacket doesn't allow that approach. If I was a younger and more adventurous man maybe I'd gently hand wash it in cold water in a bathtub - I have a friend who does that with his camelhair overcoat - but I don't want to take the chance of shrinking the wool insulation.

Measurements:

chest = 25.5” to 26” (insulation is thick)
back = 24” (don't laugh, most of these jackets are 21" or 22" in length)
sleeve = 37”

Photos:

Price & Shipping:

Price is USD $35 to my paypal. Free shipping to Canada and continental USA.

Last edited:

Bolero

A-List Customer
I used to wear one of these when stationed with SAC in Minot, ND 1960-63...Wonderful jacket and it kept me warm in 30 Below Zero weather and brutal Flight Line wind...
No need for it now...not about to re-visit...
Best wishes for sale, Excellent jacket.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I used to wear one of these when stationed with SAC in Minot, ND 1960-63...Wonderful jacket and it kept me warm in 30 Below Zero weather and brutal Flight Line wind...
No need for it now...not about to re-visit...
Best wishes for sale, Excellent jacket.
Thanks for the comment, I'm glad to hear these oldie jackets actually perform. Sometimes old stuff is just that, old, and it's not always better than new stuff.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
As an Air Force brat I have many memories of being on base in Kansas, Nebraska, and the UK during the winter months and seeing plenty of base personnel wearing these jackets. It's tempting to purchase it just for the memories, but I'm afraid it would only get worn once or twice a year here in Georgia.
It's a steal at that price, so I'm sure it will be purchased soon.

alfyman

One of the Regulars
I love mine..

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 425

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112