FS: Vanson Enfield 40

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Feb 23, 2021.

1. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Practically Family

Probably going to kick myself down the road because I know the older models with that famous 90's leather are coming harder and harder to find. But this doesn't get worn as much as it should and it deserves a good home. We'll see how it goes, and maybe I'll keep it, but if someone is dying to have one. Here you go. I know I spent a good 6 months trying to find one this size, this old, but the closet has become full.

Vanson confirmed this was made in Sept. 2000.

I'd say it's 95% clean. There's a couple tiny indents on the back, I think from the last shipping and maybe the side buckles putting pressure. Funny enough, after I applied some conditioner this morning, most of them went away. But there's one or two like finger nail width, maybe 1/4 inch or less. No discoloration or anything, really have to look close to see them, but just in the interest of full disclosure.

There's like 3 stitches missing from one of the shoulder/arm pit seams. Everything is intact and sturdy. Unless you're hanging from monkey bars often, I think you'll be fine.

Male zipper pin has the plastic coating starting to come off. Think you'll be fine for many years if you're careful. Worst case, it's a standard size 10, so you can do a male side only replacement down the road.

Other than that, she's a beauty. I'd say it's 75% broken in. Grain starting to pop but nowhere near as soft as the 1980s C2 I just got. Thick gorgeous leather. Liner clean. And overall just great. The wrist zips shut this thing air tight like I've never seen before.

$425 ppff including Conus shipping will make me whole. Anything lower and I'm going to start second guessing myself. Most importantly though, someone needs to wear this thing to bring out all it's glory.

P2P 21.5
    Shoulder 18
    Back 24.25
    Bottom 19.5 with buckles half way
    Sleeve 25

I took a couple pics yesterday but all the measurement stuff was tonight (not great light). Maybe I'll do some better grain stuff tomorrow.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

AeroFan_07 and Angel like this.
  2. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

That’s the Vanson leather that makes my mouth water... GLWS

3. Schambach

Schambach New in Town

So many Vansons, no 44s...

Beautiful jacket.

4. jglf

jglf One of the Regulars

Were Vanson jackets sized smaller 20 years ago? My size 40 Oxford has larger measurements and the Enfield is supposed to be cut fuller than the Oxford.

This leather is definitely nicer than mine though. Nice jacket!

5. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

Looks like mine, from the same era, I was lucky to find in on the bay. The best jacket I have, GLWS.

6. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

you know, I don't know. I really didn't pull on any of the measurements, so there might be another 1/2 inch on the ptp and back. Shoulder with the gussets, you can plug in several numbers and not be wrong.

I'm 6'0, 185 lbs and jacket fits perfect but definitely couldn't layer a thick sweater or anything like that. I'll take a few more pics once the sun comes out, maybe some fit ones too.

7. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Here's a few more shots. Like I said, I ain't going to be too sad if this thing don't sell, but it sure is a shame for it not to get more love. Fit is snug, but giving. The gussets and the leather breaking in give it some give.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

JoeNiblick likes this.
  8. Mandarin

Mandarin A-List Customer

Great opportunity for an essential jacket. I have one and would never let it go.

9. mtrlr

mtrlr One of the Regulars

Vanson is a must have. This 40 is about the same size as my 38, which is from around 2015.

GLWS.

10. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

If I didn’t think I’d be outgrowing it in a month or two, I’d be throwing my money at you!

11. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

you guys have me second guessing, like I wasn't already. Like I said, this is for a plea to someone who really, really, really wants one. Yeah, otherwise, I'll figure out how to get some wears on it. It just got pushed to the back with a few new arrivals, but I guess classics will stand the test of time.

12. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

I wouldn’t sell this ..Tooo sweet !!
    In your opinion is this comp weight leather or something better ?

13. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

I only have 2 Vansons. The other is an early 1980s C2 that feels like lamb skin but not thin like lamb skin and definitely a lot more grain. It is superb. I don't think that's what known as comp weight in today's reference, but whatever it is, it's awesome. More of a midweight leather I'd say, or at least that's what it's evolved to over 40 years.

The Enfield is thicker, a little more textured and stiff. I think I said earlier, but I feel like it's maybe 75% broken in. If I roll the leather, give it a little bit of a work out, I can feel it giving and softening up, almost a spongey/springy kind of feel. So I think that's where it's going to get to eventually but probably needs a solid year of wearing. Feels more "naked", closer to my Schott 118.

TREEMAN likes this.