Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fun Literary Meme

Novella

Practically Family
"On the map it was Big Spring Valley; but I had heard Paisley himself call it Spring Valley a thousand times."
-"Telemachus, Friend" in The Best of O. Henry

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I looked to my left and the first thing I saw resembling a book was the 2007 Spring/Summer Master Catalog for NorthernTool.com. I decided to get a real book, so I took the first one to my right.

"The Engine choices were much the same as previous years, with the exception of the temporary dropping of the 383 CID V8 engine."
American Cars, Every Model, Every Year 1960 to 1972. J. "Kelly" Flory, Jr.

Lee

This is fun!

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Regarding the Bitmap object's attachBitmap() method...

"It gives great power for controlling animation, but requires more code to do it."

—Beginning ActionScript 2.0

Charles Dickens' Sketches by Boz, New National Edition.

Vauxhall Gardens by Day

"(' . . .) When you meets a real talent, and native, too, encourage it, that's what I say'; and when he had delivered himself to this effect, he would fold his arms with more determination than ever, and stare at the balloon with a sort of admiring defiance of any other man alive, beyond himself and Green, that impressed the crowd with the opinion that he was an oracle."

bk

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alexander realized that this landed monopoly of the Greek city-states made no military sense when war evolved beyond the small valleys of the mainland and involved a variety of Asian enemies - archers, light-armed troops, and variously armed horsemen - in the large plains and hill country of the East.

Victor Davis Hansen - "Carnage and Culture"

pigeon toe

One Too Many
"As for those eyelid surgeries, I accepted them as normalizing procedures, in the sense both of practices taken for granted by doctors and patients in this Honolulu clinic, and of restoration to a normal state."

That's actually from my Women's Studies class reader, not really a book. It's from the article "Reflections on a Yellow Eye: Asian I(\Eye/)Cons and Cosmetic Surgery" by Kathleen Zane.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Enjoy the Veneto in the late afternoon and evening hours when the daytrippers have gone and the cities are left to their own – sip an aperitivo or take a leisurely passeggiata along streets lined with tiny boutiques.
–Frommer's Northern Italy, 3rd ed., John Moretti

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Thus, the time broker fulfilled two important roles: it was he who secured station information for the agency regarding matters such as rates, station facilities, reputed listener circulation, available hours during the week, contract terms, and similar items; and in the second place he actively solicited business for individual stations from the agencies, and called the attention of the radio executives to the advantages that were to be derived from broadcasting over the stations which he represented."

-- A Decade Of Radio Advertising, by Dr. Herman S. Hettinger. University of Chicago Press, 1933.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot