Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funny Aeroleather Review I found on Schott Website

sshack

A-List Customer
The jacket must have been made at Aero during the "old regime", due to the post date. I simply stated that they would have fixed it back then as they would today. Because there are some questionable things that happened during that time, I posted what I did. If it sounds like mocking, well, OK. I've heard what Ken has gone through since the changes and I personally have little good to say, but I did defend them on this front. They would have fixed it.

I can attest that Holly and the "new regime" which is actually the old old regime or the original regime...

Anyway, Holly and the current management took care of me when my original HWM I ordered had fitting issues. The order was originally placed w/ Amanda and I think I got affected by the management transition problems.

During the re-order process I learned a lot about what Aero can and can't do in terms of custom fitting (basically, there are limitations working with horse leather) and they helped me pick a size that seemed like a good fit. Aside from physically being able to try on different sizes of jackets, this was the next best alternative.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Let's face it: while it's all very well wanting to customise your jacket to the nth degree, anyone who simply says 'yes' to every modification isn't doing you a favour.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Really .................. they're not really listening to customers either one could argue :)

If I'm dropping a chunk of change on a serious jacket ... I WANT it to be custom ! I want it to be a little unique and I want it to be a little different. I want some sound advice and direction also.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice, some like choice, some don't ..... but then it depends on your offering and your target market. Aero have decided upon theirs and that's absolutely their porogative.

Horses for courses methinks ..... a bit like many other criteria .... and methinks this threrad is in danger of going where many have gone before :(

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
"I want some sound advice and direction also." Exactly. Customisation is one thing, creating a pig's ear is another. Also, from the maker's point of view, he has to think of his own rep.

winterland1

Practically Family
I actually was looking at the Schott 689 as a candidate for me. Nice jacket.
200_177.jpg
I would think the Aero 40's or 30's half-belt would be closer to this fit.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
It's a bike thing ... stops stuff flying out your pockets on the bike.

The angle usually avoids chaffing ( unlike the D-1)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Really .................. they're not really listening to customers either one could argue :)

If I'm dropping a chunk of change on a serious jacket ... I WANT it to be custom ! I want it to be a little unique and I want it to be a little different. I want some sound advice and direction also.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice, some like choice, some don't ..... but then it depends on your offering and your target market. Aero have decided upon theirs and that's absolutely their porogative.

Horses for courses methinks ..... a bit like many other criteria .... and methinks this threrad is in danger of going where many have gone before :(

"I want some sound advice and direction also." Exactly. Customisation is one thing, creating a pig's ear is another. Also, from the maker's point of view, he has to think of his own rep.

Sometimes giving the customer exactly what they want doesn't always work.
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Homer

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Zips on the hand warmer pockets are interesting. Still can't make up my mind if they'd chaff on your hands if you used them for their intended function.

some guys here say they do, but I don't know what they're talking about. I've never had zippered pockets bother my hands. On a FQHH jacket I'd think they'd be necessary. Don't the pocket openings on a HH jacket pooch out and develop a permanent gape as they get older? I'd be interested to know as I'm ordering a highwayman soon and am debating getting the pockets zippered for this very reason.

Plumbline

One Too Many

I'm not sure anyone was suggesting putting an idiot in charge of product development ...... but offering reasonable customisation was a real plus for me ! I've yet to find an organisation which failed because it offered exactly what their target customer wanted ................... unless they had a target customer of one and a margin of zero !

.... as I said it's horses for courses.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars

Whether it objectively works or not is besides the question. In my short time here on the FL I've already seen my fair share of jacket pictures (and not only from Aero) that imo were total disasters either by themselves or in combination with their owners' physique. But who am I to second guess the person who put down the money? I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a certain degree of customisation given the amount of money that's charged for the product. It's up to the maker to determine how far they want to go along with those requests but any considerations/limitations there will, I think, be mainly dictated by commercial logic rather than aesthetics. It's a fine balance to strike but the more customisation possibilities there are, the better I think. I know a very good small leather tailoring company in Spain that'll make you any leather jacket you want, you just select or send them a design, leather type/quality, colour, they'll measure you up, source the leather and do the rest. Trouble is, their prices start at about 4000 EUR. On the other extreme you have the 'take it or leave it' high volume, low value producers who don't offer any customisation at all. Different market segment and different business model.

You can't expect a maker with a relatively fixed and reasonable price to totally customize every jacket to the whims of the buyer. It's not a simple thing to "just do this and that" to a standard design.
I have no complaints with Aero or anyone else saying "no".
If you want a totally customized jacket with no limitations, then as you posted, they exist - for a price.
I'd rather Aero et al have a shorter wait than people second guessing every detail. Only to b*tch when it looks like ***t.
There's reasonable, and then there's ridiculous. I reckon makers that have stopped were sick of the latter.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure anyone was suggesting putting an idiot in charge of product development ...... but offering reasonable customisation was a real plus for me ! I've yet to find an organisation which failed because it offered exactly what their target customer wanted ................... unless they had a target customer of one and a margin of zero !

.... as I said it's horses for courses.

I guess "reasonable customisation" can mean different things to makers and customers. I think it's reasonable to ask the maker politely if they'd consider a modification to an existing model, and equally reasonable for the maker to decline and explain why they feel it's either something that wouldn't work aesthetically, historically or technically.
Butte makes a very good point. If every jacket order comes with a one-off modification, then that's time-consuming and slows down the lead in times for other customers. And if that buyer doesn't like the results, it's sent back and the maker's left with a something he made against his best instincts which he's now got to offload Result: nobody's left satisfied or happy. [huh]

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
The thing I could never get my head around about "old" Aero was the apparent business model. The prices were already very reasonable, yet you could have pretty much any alteration you could dream up, all for no extra cost. It seemed to be a point of pride not to have a standard jacket.

That could only be at the expense of production, hence the almost overnight jumping of a claimed 3 month wait to a more realistic (but unsatisfactory) 6 months.

I can understand why most manufacturers say that if you mod, you can't exchange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn