Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 flight jacket identification help please

DavidG66

New in Town
Hi, new guy here, thanks for allowing me to join. I acquired a G-1 Jacket at an estate sale this weekend, labeled as a "Korean War" era jacket. Unfortunately both the maker tag and the size tag are both missing. As you can see it is in decent shape except for a tear in the lining near the bottom waist cuff. and it is missing one button. So my questions are, for the experts here:

1. Is it possible to ID the jacket from pocket style or other identifying features?
2. it appears to be goatskin to me, but need confirmation
3. the windflap does NOT have USN stamped into it for some reason. Nor is there a USN imprint under the collar.
4. do you believe the collar is real mouton or imitation?
5. it has a Talon zipper with lanyard
6. finally, era it is from... the lining is sort of a slick brownish-pinkish tone, seems like a man-made material such as polyester and not cotton, so I am guessing post-WWII.

thank you for any help you can offer!
DG

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Nice period correct Korean flight jacket. The mouton is original to the jacket, however, the zip came with a conmar originally. Those conmar were built to last. We have some truly knowledge members here. Our master jacket maker from Florida perhaps can share his expertise in the jacket.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have never seen this type of Talon on any of the G-1 and/or its predecessor. Likely a replacement. Not an expert on G-1 but think that makes IDing even more difficult.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations on a nice score!
The lining is rayon and yes the collar appears to be the real original mouton. The bottom knits are the single ply rib rack style used on early G-1s so I think it is safe to say that your jacket is probably from the 1950s.

DavidG66

New in Town
there is a rectangular pattern of stitch holes in the lining near the collar, so at one time yes there was a label there. I sure wish someone had not removed it in the last 70 years.

Deacon211

One Too Many
It’s a good looking jacket and I’d agree genuinely from the ‘50s.

The lack of USN ID, either on the collar or the windflap makes me wonder if this was one of those jackets, mil in design, but made and sold to the civil market.

I’d imagine the size and shape of the collar tag, even if missing would tend to support or refute this theory as the civil tags I’ve seen are usually larger and more detailed than the simple black tags of the mil versions.

Beautiful jacket in any case!

warrior-poet

New in Town
Sorry for late comment. It certainly looks like a righteous early 55J14/7238. The pocket flaps have the more pointed shape and the single-ply waistband features the distinctive "rib-rack" knitting pattern. JC claims that the wider section of rib-rack pattern in relation to the straight weave portion is common to examples produced by A. Pritzker. The lack of the perforated USN on the wind flap is an earlier feature, but there should be a bold USN stencil on the underside of the collar--weird. Perhaps a replaced collar? If you look carefully, you can see the stitching that reveals that the zipper is a replacement. The same applies to the cuffs (which are also a tad darker than the waistband. Nice jacket, for sure; if it's a knock-off, it's a darned good one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto