Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 ordered

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just ordered a Cockpit G-1. Had their A-2, was impressed with overall fit and quality. Was going to order from G&B, but after three phone calls, and several promises for measurement info on their G-1, and absolutely no follow up from them, decided to go with Cockpit. I think the fit will be better.

G&B customer service/support is not something to write home about. And I have their A-2, a great jacket.

kojax

Practically Family
this is my cockpit g1 vintage goatskin jacket real nice jacket i wear it alot

Attachments

• Photo on 2015-04-10 at 14.51.jpg
    Photo on 2015-04-10 at 14.51.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Photo on 2015-04-10 at 14.52.jpg
    Photo on 2015-04-10 at 14.52.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 279

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
I also have a Cockpit vintage G-1 in their washed goatskin (very grainy with burnishing and a lot of patina). GREAT jacket! Truly looks like a 1950's vintage G-1. However, the standard mil-spec Cockpit G-1 is also nice (I have one of those as well, to which I've added a few patches).

Last edited:

kojax

Practically Family
the fur collar on the vintage goatskin g1 jacket is very soft and why i like it the collar is small not like the other g1 jackets i have seen they look to big

Deacon211

One Too Many
Very nice jackets!

Yeah, I just had a tough time with G+B customer service as well. Very nice, but terrible follow through. I can't begin to understand it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Very nice jackets!

Yeah, I just had a tough time with G+B customer service as well. Very nice, but terrible follow through. I can't begin to understand it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was set to order from them as I like their jacket...bought their A-2 about 2 1/2 years ago. They never responded to my questions on G-1 sizing, not once. And that was after three phone calls speaking with their sales people in person. Go figure! They said they would call back, or send an email...

But the Cockpit G-1 will have a better fit, I think. And the Customer Service people their were very responsive!

G&B just lost a sale...wonder if they care?

kojax

Practically Family
wow at one time gibson barnes were very nice to talk and return your email fast.. i am friendy with 2 guys that work there i know they have new help there

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
wow at one time gibson barnes were very nice to talk and return your email fast.. i am friendy with 2 guys that work there i know they have new help there

Yes, they are nice to visit with. They just don't do what they promise. At least this was my experience over the last few days. Maybe I called at a bad time...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I suspect that Cockpit may be constructing better jackets now than ever. If I were to buy a G&B G-1, I would go with their "historic" Navy M-422A rather than their current military issue G-1 or Civil G-1. In my case it would be a size 40T M-422A, and then return it if too small and try a 42T. My G&B historic Type A-2 Model 43 is a size 40, and based on data that G&B sent me a few weeks ago, I think their A-2 Model 43 would fit similarly as their M-422A. As a point of reference, I wear a 44 long sports jacket and wore a size 44 military issued USN G-1 (short sleeves) from 1967 to 1969. Of course the only way of being certain that a jacket will fit is to try it on while at the store.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Fanch - I was seriously considering a trip to SAN to do just that...try on their stuff. But when factoring the cost and time involved, just not worth the effort.

Since the 21st Century Cockpit A-2 size 40R fit me like a glove, the customer service gal suggested a size 42R in the G-1. She said that it would be just like the 40 A-2. We'll see how it fits. Hopefully spot on!

The Cockpit A-2 was a gift for my Dad. But I did wear it to Amsterdam just to check the comfort and sizing. It was slimmer than my G&B. And honestly, the quality was just as good also.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Here it is...and $110 less expensive than G&B. Full report to follow, in a separate thread.

477.jpg

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Here are a couple of pics of my Gibson Barnes G-1. I know, it's big everywhere you look, but suppose I like the thing enough. It is a great quality jacket for the price. The Cockpit sounds just as good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 340

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Nick - good looking jacket, and you wear it nicely. G&B makes great stuff, for sure. Several of my friends (those who are out of jail) bought G&B jackets on my recommendation.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick - good looking jacket, and you wear it nicely. G&B makes great stuff, for sure. Several of my friends (those who are out of jail) bought G&B jackets on my recommendation.

Well, for anyone with past or current troubles, this little jacket hobby is quite therapeutic. I'm currently going through the woes of romance, and while not quite as terrible as going to jail, my one salvation are these jackets and this forum!

pauleway

Practically Family
View attachment 27717
I also have a Cockpit vintage G-1 in their washed goatskin (very grainy with burnishing and a lot of patina). GREAT jacket! Truly looks like a 1950's vintage G-1. However, the standard mil-spec Cockpit G-1 is also nice (I have one of those as well, to which I've added a few patches).

I have this jacket also, and it is a truly beautiful piece of leather, with soft, grainy goatskin and a small sized (the way they're suppose to be) mouton collar and just slightly aged leather at the edges. Best G-1 for the money, and I have a '68 original Ralph Edwards to compare it with!;)

Edward

Bartender
Looks nice. I've always wondered.... It seems that you can buy a really nice G1 jacket significantly cheaper than an equivalent A2. Seems counterintuitive, given that it's a more complex jacket. Is it just down to it being a design that has remained in service (as distinct from the A2, which was 'away' for so long, and came back in a very different form)?

If I feel I can justify a second USN jacket in future, I might well pick up one of these.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
If you are looking for a bargain (that is inexpensive) G-1, check out the 25% off sale at Leather Coats Etc.
$223 will get a nice G-1 delivered to your front door. And made in the USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy