Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1's for uniform wear

sfdistance

New in Town
I am a new member on this forum. I decided to join because I found myself perusing threads on here fairly often over the past few months. Before my question, I'll briefly introduce myself. I am a 23 year old Marine Corps 2ndLt currently going through flight training. I am just now starting the advanced strike syllabus in the T-45 at NAS Meridian, MS. I am also the proud father of a 2 month old baby boy. Its amazing how much priorities change with parenthood. I call Colorado home and most of my hobbies and interests outside of flying involve mountains. Meridian is my 5th duty station in the past 2 years, but I'm happy to be settled in here for at least the next year. So far I'm really impressed with how polite and helpful the members of this forum are. I wouldn't have joined if it was like so many other forums where one comment can draw days worth of flak from guys that spend too much time at their computers. Anyways, enough about me.

Since I was issued my G-1 last year, I have developed an obsession with military flight jackets, specifically Navy/USMC versions. My issued jacket was made by Excelled and simply stated, its horrible. For some reason mine seems significantly worse than many others issued at the same time, not that any of the recently issued jackets are well made. Being a person who values quality and honest craftsmanship, I could hardly bring myself to wear it. I recently bought a goatskin Cooper with real mouton on ebay, and its a great improvement, but I feel like it has made me want an even better jacket. The Cooper really isn't bad, but it's nothing special either. The biggest problem is the quality of the stitching in some locations. I also feel like it is just slightly too short down the back. I love some of the expensive reproductions of old versions of the M422 and early G-1's, but I need a jacket that looks similar enough to the current issue for me to wear in uniform. (We Marines don't look very highly on people who try to be "individuals" in uniform) Thanks in advance for your advice and thanks to everyone for a very interesting forum.

Papa M

A-List Customer
sfdistance said:
...I need a jacket that looks similar enough to the current issue for me to wear in uniform. (We Marines don't look very highly on people who try to be "individuals" in uniform)...

First off - A very warm welcome, I'm sure, on behalf of all here at the forum.

Second - You have a fascinating dilemma. If the current issue jackets are all quite shoddy looking then you will certainly stand out next to your colleagues if you purchase a high quality repro. You either have to conform, and look crap. Or you go against the crowd and risk their wrath. None of us non-forces people can advise you what to do. Just have confidence and courage and go with your heart. And good luck to you.

RLM

Familiar Face
Welcome and thanks for your service :eusa_clap. 5 stations in 2 years?! I'd shoot myself lol . That's a lot of packing and unpacking. Anyway, I know nothing about the current issue G-1s, but I do know that Aero Leather Clothing will modify their jackets just about any way you'd like. They are expensive, however. The current cost of their M442(the predecessor of the G-1) is almost $800 US. And there's a 2 -3 month lead time. I'm sure they could update one to current (or close to it) G-1 specs. I've not received my Aero Long Half Belt yet, so I have no firsthand knowlege of their quality, fit, etc., but they do have quite a following, so they must be doing something right. Here's the website for the US importer, he's also on E-bay: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/listing/user/aeroleatherusa

sixties.nut

Welcome to this forum

I see you can't PM just Yet... Gotta get your post count up to 15 ! ASAP Marine. Atticus, after schooling and a year in Oki/Iwakuni he'll be heading towards your parts. Keep an eye out for him! Oorah

ASRT/DASC
1972-79

sixties

sfdistance

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome. I guess I should clarify what I'm looking for. I'm not worried about wearing a good jacket in uniform as long as the colors and cut match up with what everyone else is wearing. Many of the jackets that I have seen that are advertised as milspec are reproducing older versions, or include extra features like the hand warmer pockets. The companies I've seen so far that seem to focus on jackets that could be worn in uniform are US Authentic and Gibson and Barnes. There seems to be mixed reviews on US Authentic, but does anyone have experience with Gibson and Barnes?

Obviously they won't compare with the 800-1000 dollar jackets some of you guys have, but what are the biggest differences?

Nowadays pilots still do get mods on there jackets but mainly ones that don't outwardly show, like hidden pockets or different linings. Believe it or not some guys actually still fly in leather when its cold.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Welcome, SFdistance. The G-1s issued at NAS Pensacola in 1974 were actually made of naugahyde. We were not awfully enamored of them. They did provide warmth in the winter months, however. BTW, much luck with your aviation career. Semper Fi.

sixties.nut

C'Mon naugahyde ?

kampkatz said:
Welcome, SFdistance. The G-1s issued at NAS Pensacola in 1974 were actually made of naugahyde. We were not awfully enamored of them. They did provide warmth in the winter months, however. BTW, much luck with your aviation career. Semper Fi.

Now I know we was the poorer of the five services and everything, but naugahyde ? I also knew that the first issued jacket upon arrival with the fleet at K-bay that the jacket was so flimsy it had to be a knock off. No doubt about it. Somebody in supply had a 'brudder-in-law' or 'fadder-in-law' over in Okinawa who happened to make leather jackets! lol

but naugahyde ? I also should mention, that when I RTD'ed they swooped down and snatched that jacket back like it was lined with gold thread! I couldn't even 'steal it fair and square'. Good for me that at the time I wasn't particularly fond of mine either. :eusa_doh:

Peacoat

Bartender
I know the specs changed from goat to cow a few years before 1974, but I didn't know Naugahyde was also specified. There was actually a shortage of Naugas in the early 70's so it surprises me that contractors would have been able to find enough hides to comply with the specs. Maybe I'm missing something here?

sixties.nut

Hey Peacoat

I found the A-2 in my size! You was absolutely right about the nomenclature.:eusa_clap I was looking for something else at the time and there it was.

Thanks !!!

(ain't it a downright shame about those little naugha's?) lol

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Welcome!

You can buy the current issue jacket from several different companies. Exact same design but made of Goatskin with a mouton collar. I was looking at the Gibson and Barnes website the other day and was considering purchasing one. Cooper also makes a current issue along with many other reputable companies. I also have an issued Excelled that I wear as much as possible. It has held up very well over the last eight years and it is a good quality jacket. However, I do not like how the collar has gotten a “matted” look to it. You can always tell the new guys or the guys that never wear their jackets because the collar still looks good. I have often thought about buying a new one but I always talk myself out of it because this is the one that was issued to me. Kind of weird, but I have a special bond with it. Many guys in the Helo community still wear them when we fly. After all, it is flight gear.

sfdistance

New in Town
Wow naugahide. I never would have thought the standards have actually improved. Everyone flew with their jackets on at the AF squadron I was just at. I haven't seen too many Navy/Marine guys doing that. I guess its not as necessary to bundle up when the cockpit is pressurized. Does anyone know if the real mouton gets matted as badly as the acrylic collars?

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a 2000 Excelled that is quite nice, even though it has the fake collar, and no, the real mouton collars don't mat. I have an old one with mouton, and it looks almost new except for one very small wear spot.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Totally unrelated: Ilya is now 'Ducky' on NCIS.

I guess it is sort of connected, since Gibbs is a Marine (there are no ex-Marines). Anyway, Treetopflyer mentioned G&B, and they do make a very decent G-1 at a manageable price. Welcome to the Lounge, and thank you for serving.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I have been collecting G-1s for quite some time now, but I've never seen one made of naugahide. I think federal statutes require the government to purchase only products made in the USA, and I'm pretty sure that naugas aren't indiginious to North America. Of course, I guess farm-raised naugas could have been used. ;)

Seriously, though, I believe that seventies-era G-1s were cowhide leather sprayed with a finsh that caused the jacket to squeak like pleather or naugahide. The seventies Imperial Leather G-1s were the worst. They were heavy and stiff and when you wore one, you sounded like a walking flock of seagulls.

This is a 1976 Imperial Leather squeaky-cow G-1.

DSCN0507-1.jpg

AF

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
MILITARY G-1

I was a US Naval flight surgeon and issued my G-1 in Pensacola in 1967. As I recall my G-1 at that time was goatskin with a mouton collar and was well constructed, not that I paid close attention to detail at that time. Unfortunately it was stolen in 1969 while I was an ENT resident in Dallas.

My advice would be to keep the G-1 that was issued to you for Marine duty and use other G-1's for casual wear. I currently own a Cooper G-1 with goatskin and mouton collar. I suspect the Cooper is superior to what I had while I was in the Navy. One thing about my military issued G-1 was very loose fitting elastic cuffs, whereas the Cooper's cuffs seems to have a much snugger fit.

I was at a medical meeting in San Diego last year and dropped by Gibson & Barnes and spent hours there trying on many jackets. I bought a current USAF issue A-2 and a black goatskin Expedition (Indiana Jones) jacket. I almost bought a G-1 while I was there but didn't since I had already bought two jackets to overfill my closet.

Having said all of that, I would highly recommend the Gibson & Barnes current issue G-1 and wouldn't go with their civilian version in either the A-2 or G-1, since a military guy does not use side pockets for his hands. The G&B product is exceptionally made for a very reasonable price. As a Marine aviator, you should make it to San Diego sooner or later and can ride their light rail, which they call the San Diego trolley, that lets you out 100 yards from the G&B store.

Thanks for your service, good luck, and be safe.

sfdistance

New in Town
Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on getting rid of my issued jacket. I actually feel comfortable wearing the Cooper I bought in uniform because its exactly the same specs, but the problem is it just doesn't quite fit right... just slightly too small. It seems like there's nothing but good reviews on G&B. I'll definitely keep that in mind for my next jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto