Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G1 2 Questions - advice appreciated

anubis16

New in Town
Hi I live in Melbourne Australia and freight on a jacket from the US is really expensive therefore I need to get my jacket choice right first time.

Q1 The best choices (based on what I can find here) for a G1 size 44 seem to be USWing or Flightsuit (Gibson & Barnes) Can anyone express a view on general service and quality and overseas service quality if known. Prices appear roughly the same.

Q2 I see Flightsuits offer a black G1 as opposed to dark brown. Never seen black in this jacket in Oz before so any comments, opinions etc would be appreciated.

Lastly, I know its probably a personal cjoice thing but any recommendations would also be appreciated.

Many thanks for any assistance that can be offered

Tony

Edward

Bartender
At the risk of making things more complicated, I would also recommend the Aero jackets of this type. I recently acquired an Aero AN6552, and am very pleased with it indeed. For what it's worth, I bought this jacket via eBay at a very significant saving - I paid a little over half the new price for a jacket in unworn condition. Likewise, the Eastman offerings are of a very high quality. Stictly speaking, neither does a G1, but rather the wartime equivalents... I think the difference in design is minimal, though perhaps if the options you are looking at in the US are modern fit, you might find these a touch trimmer. As both these companies are in the UK, it might be worth comparing their pricing with the US companies to see which can offer you a better deal when converted to Aus dollars?

With regards to colour... to the best of my knowledge, neither USN nor US(A)AF ever issued a black leather flying jacket. Black being a popular colour in civilian wear, however, several companies offer it as a stock option.

ETA: at one point recently, Aero (and I think Eastman too?) were offering free shipping to the US on jackets at GBP300 or more... if this affects the overall price significantly, it might be worth asking if they will extend the offer to Aus.

kojax

Practically Family
hello i just go the g-1 jacket from gibson barnes real nice jacket. the color is dark seal brown goatskin one of there best colors.........my brother got the g-1 black goatskin.....i like the dark seal goatskin better......i have one of there a2 jacket to.............the company is good custmer service........

handworn

New in Town
get an original

If I were you, I wouldn't bother getting a repro, given the large number of original G1s on eBay, of all decades, conditions, and prices. Remember, they issued them right from WWII through 1978, and then began again in 1982.

Goatskin is quite tough, so I wouldn't be too afraid of ruining one. (Avoid those from the 1970s or later; they're cow hide.) Just get an inexpensive 1960s one, like with no label and cuffs in need of replacement, or something like that. (A tailor near me quoted $35 U.S. to replace jacket cuffs.)

CBI

One Too Many
I agree. Don't buy a repro G-1 with so many orginals out there. You should be able to find a good one on eBay. I own 2, circa 1960 - they are the best!

Edward

Bartender
Good idea! Hunting out a later original is certainly a good idea. A repro met my needs best, but if you can find an original 60s jacket in your own size, that would be great.

kevinblack

New in Town
Tony,

I'm in Canberra and have just bought the Civil A-2 from G&B. I actually picked it up when in San Diego (more later). The Postage is not an issue. California and El Cajoun (sp) taxes were more than postage when I picked it up about US$35. It is actually cheaper to have it sent by G&B to Melbourne than to pick it up at their factory.

WRT service. Their service is first class. I was in San Diego on the 22nd DEc or so. I had a message waiting to say that the store wouldn't be open until after Xmas (too late for me), but that the sales rep Nyla Acton had taken the jacket home, give her a call. She agreed to deliver it to my hotel in downtown San Diego some distance from her home in the boonies. Doesn't get any better than that.

As far as quality goes, really is excellent. The civil A-2 isn't a repro as such, but does copy the current USAF issue, but with the inside wallet pocket and the handwarmer pockets. I also got the thinsulate zip-out lining (gets cold in Canberra). Just started actually wearing it without the lining over the last week or so. For my money - highly recommended.

On sizing, I'm no 22yo fighter pilot, about 100kg and 177cm with the mandatory mid-section flotation device. My suit size is 46R, the jacket is 46R and a great fit.

Bill French from this forum and VLJ has a couple of their jackets and is similar in shape to me. He says good things about them too.

Of course YMMV,

Kevin

anubis16

New in Town
Many thanks for the replies, especially thanks to Kevin, who relatively local to me. Value the advice and the consideration shown by sending it. will respond more when time permits.

Thought I might be the only jacket nut downunder!

Thanks again

Tony

James Miller

One of the Regulars
G1

If your wanting a really nice jacket size 44 I put one on ebay for only 49.99

It is a nice jacket it would be a wonderful starter jacket. It 's made of goat skin and has a real wool collar This jacket was stored a way some time be for i got it. I dont think it was ever worn. Go to ebay and look for G1 (sellar is Jlupe113 ) It's really a nice jacket but it's to small for me.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Make sure you are sure of your size. I know with Gibson's A2s they tend to run large. I don't know about their G-1s. I would email them about the size to make sure it is right. Also as mentioned ebay is real good for G-1s. I got a 1960 model for $395. So I would take a look there. BTW on VJF one of the forum members has a real nice size 44 for $325 super jacket. Here is the link. You have to register but that should not take too long.

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/index.php?sid=ed988019be9a96109d60eae9a8bc320d

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy