Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G1 or A2

kojax

Practically Family
i had a ll bean flying jacket years ago what a nice jacket..the jacket was made in the us......i am kicking myself for selling it. i think the new ll bean jacket not as nice as the ones years ago******

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a current issue Excelled G-1, 2001 contract, about 6 years old and a shearling insulated LL Bean. I was looking for a 1966 or 1967 G-1 and came across this one at a good price. I bought it to give to a friend of mine, but it was too small for him. Fit me OK (a little large) so I kept it. I don't know how many years it takes for goat to show some signs of wear, but this one hasn't started showing any yet. Still looks new out of the box.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peacoat said:
I have a current issue Excelled G-1, 2001 contract, about 6 years old and a shearling insulated LL Bean. I was looking for a 1966 or 1967 G-1 and came across this one at a good price. I bought it to give to a friend of mine, but it was too small for him. Fit me OK (a little large) so I kept it. I don't know how many years it takes for goat to show some signs of wear, but this one hasn't started showing any yet. Still looks new out of the box.

I have an LL Bean G-1 Type. I love it:)

I am thinking about going to my nearest base to check out jackets

Edward

Bartender
Satori said:
If you want the best of both worlds then the AN-J3 is the jacket. I had an original which I part exchange with Aero a few years back; I'm not too sure what happened to it as it didn't seem to appear on their sales page, although they have (or had) two almost identical jackets for sale in smaller sizes (Mine was a 42).

They've made at least one 42..... just this evening I won an ebay auction, and am now at the nervous stage of waiting for the seller to come back to me with confirmation of postage from Switzerland (end price, fwiw, was GBP113ish - currently, about USD170 or so). There is a small damage to the lining which I will need to sew up, and a small part of the leather where the finish has rubbed off, both easily sorted. The zip has also been replaced from the original, though I doubt that will concern me (an easy fix at a later stage anyhow). For that price....

FWIW, the seller says in his blurb that he is only aware of two of them made by Aero, including his. I'm sure there have been others, but clearly it is a jacket not in the highest demand - long behind ither the A2 or the G1 types. I'm actually really looking forward to comparing it to my Aero AN6552 - it'll be interesting to see where the differences lie, aside from the obvious difference in collar. Moving to one intermediate leather flying jacket common to all services was a logical decision.... I know Arnold put the kabosh on that for reasons of cost and material availability, though I do wonder (much as I actually do very much like the B10) whether the US Forces might ultimately have saved in the long run by going with one common design. I do wonder why the Navy stuck with leather when the USAAF went to cloth, why not both? Was it as simple as different bods making the decision, perhaps also the Navy having a much smaller flight arm than the army?

Satori

New in Town
Edward said:
They've made at least one 42..... just this evening I won an ebay auction, and am now at the nervous stage of waiting for the seller to come back to me with confirmation of postage from Switzerland (end price, fwiw, was GBP113ish - currently, about USD170 or so). There is a small damage to the lining which I will need to sew up, and a small part of the leather where the finish has rubbed off, both easily sorted. The zip has also been replaced from the original, though I doubt that will concern me (an easy fix at a later stage anyhow). For that price....

FWIW, the seller says in his blurb that he is only aware of two of them made by Aero, including his. I'm sure there have been others, but clearly it is a jacket not in the highest demand - long behind ither the A2 or the G1 types. I'm actually really looking forward to comparing it to my Aero AN6552 - it'll be interesting to see where the differences lie, aside from the obvious difference in collar. Moving to one intermediate leather flying jacket common to all services was a logical decision.... I know Arnold put the kabosh on that for reasons of cost and material availability, though I do wonder (much as I actually do very much like the B10) whether the US Forces might ultimately have saved in the long run by going with one common design. I do wonder why the Navy stuck with leather when the USAAF went to cloth, why not both? Was it as simple as different bods making the decision, perhaps also the Navy having a much smaller flight arm than the army?

If your AN-J3 is like the repro Aero offered then it will have an A-2 type wind flap and epalettes; other than that the construction was very M422a/G-1 like.

I seem to recall Ken stating that they had AN-J3 labels made up for repros when they were offering them.

Eric

Edward

Bartender
Satori said:
If your AN-J3 is like the repro Aero offered then it will have an A-2 type wind flap and epalettes; other than that the construction was very M422a/G-1 like.

I seem to recall Ken stating that they had AN-J3 labels made up for repros when they were offering them.

Eric

Photos from the auction:

7822_1.JPG

7cdd_1.JPG

Edward

Bartender
FWIW, this is the label from my ANJ-3:

Uploaded9208055.jpg

Unfortunately, it seems that these jackets are sized smaller than the preceding Navy designs: my AN6552, labelled a 42, is a grand fit on me, but this ANJ3 42 is just too small - fits like a 40. So, alas, it is now up for sale on the classifieds... asking price is a little higher than what I paid, but I remain open to offers; all in, including shipping, the jacket cost me GBP159; really, all I'm interested in is recouping my costs, so as I can put the money into an A2.

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
ANJ3/G-1

i bought a flying equipment co. 55J14 (pre-G-1) in my size on ebay some time ago for about $70. jacket was probably made in approximately 1950. goatskin in excellent condition, knits not good and collar was trashed.
i bought new knits and a piece of matching goatskin. took it to a local tailor who took the old mouton collar off and installed the regular goatskin (too hot on the gulf coast for fur collar). for about $200 i had a very nice IMHO ANJ3 type daily wearer.
if you fly, ride a motorcycle or drive in a jacket, the G-1 series is a better choice because of the bi-swing back. bob

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
You must be in good shape, because the typical G-1 doesn't feel very full-cut if you aren't. Most are decidedly v-shaped - free moving thru the shoulders and chest, but cut lean in the waist.

The fact that most G-1 jackets are lean in the waist more often than not rings true. However, not all G-1 jackets are " lean " in the waist. Those late 1950s L.W. Foster 7823 ( AER ) series which are more reminiscent of the M-422A style jackets are much more abundantly accommodating in the waist. These particular jackets are not those stingy V-shaped jackets in the least. Just another option to consider with the G-1!

Cheers,

Marv

A-List Customer
I love them both, if could wear them both at the sametime I would ;) , I have a 1968 Martin Lane G1 and an ELC G1 repro and the fit is similar with room around the shoulders and chest area but tapered towards the waist.
I find my A2's overall a more comfortable fit, however these are all repros so couldn't really compare the fit to a WW2 original.

Peacoat

Bartender
If that is an original ANJ3, it is the best I have seen. Nice.

Edit note: Ah ha, I just made the connection: You are the Tamoko from the Vintage leather Jackets forum. So that is an original, without question, as you certainly know your vintage jackets. You helped me several years ago find an original flight jacket from the 60s to replace my issue jacket that was lost somewhere along the way. Welcome to this Forum.

Corky

Practically Family
I second the ANJ-3...

I second the ANJ-3. It has the best characteristics of the G-1 and the A-2.

No mouton collar, interior pockets, and a bi-swing back.

Now, if the budget could afford an ANJ-4... That would complete my collection.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
DEFINITELY the A-2. Great looking..with patches and painted noseart etc or without anything. Goes great with a crusher cap and aviator sunglasses. Truly the iconic jacket of the USAAF in WWII. When you think of USAAF pilot dress, A-2 is one of the first things that come to mind.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
A2 too...
G1 are nice jackets. The first quality is originals are cheaper than A2... More over, the goatskin is better resists the years than horsehide. More over, the G1 has a more practical design (internal pocket for exemple).
... But A2 for me ... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou