Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gable in a Leather Jacket I Think May Be The Perfect Thing.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's one of those cool objects that looks great in period photos but fussy and theatrical in real life IMO.

Recently I went to a seafood restaurant & on the wall display, were vintage photos of men
with their prize catch of the day from the 20s & 30s.
Thinking about your remark...this is what I noticed about them...
352262o.jpg

I remember my father would always wear his hat in public & back then
that was the norm . I don't recall my folks going to the stores in shorts
like most do today.

DesertDan

One Too Many
There's lots of cool fellas here. Lots of well-dressed fellas too. But I'm not sure we have enough "cool" pooled together to make up one Clark Gable. We can keep trying though… lol

And to be fair, none of us here have the "Hollywood Machine" working for us either. :D

Blast! Another person who's cooler than me! Or maybe it just ain't that difficult a thing to achieve . . . :eeek:
If it was easy, everyone would do it. ;)

No, as Worf mentioned in post #14, some people just have that "it" factor whether they're celebrities or not. Gable, Frank Sinatra, Steve McQueen, to name a few. It's hard to define, but unmistakable when you see it.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
haha! Zombie I meant it's not a difficult thing to be cooler than me! ;)

But you and Worf are right, the studios helped create stars back then by capitalising on their 'it' factor. I heard a fascinating radio interview with Tony Bennett a couple of years back in which he explained how singers like Dean Martin & Sinatra, and actors with real potential were groomed back in the old Hollywood days and taught how to conduct themselves in public etc with an eye to longevity of their career. In this way, the studios or record companies were investing their money and effort to back a star who would be bankable for a long time, which Mr Bennett contrasted with todays five-minute pop sensations who are thrown to the wolves once they've had their fleeting moment of fame.

Hence we have Mr Gable the icon for us to admire and emulate.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If it was easy, everyone would do it. ;)

No, as Worf mentioned in post #14, some people just have that "it" factor whether they're celebrities or not. Gable, Frank Sinatra, Steve McQueen, to name a few. It's hard to define, but unmistakable when you see it.

Don't know... Gable I get, the other two have always left me cold. I enjoy early Sinatra singing but he was a scrawny little wise guy you wouldn't look at twice if he weren't famous. It's subjective.. I just spoke to a nice young girl who thinks Justin Timberlake is the coolest person of all time. I don't know his work but I know I don't care for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner