Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Game changer fix for Aero // \\ pattern issue

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I kind of posted this elsewhere but there's a different discussion going on and it got buried. It's too important imo not too highlight because a lot of us have the aero fit issue of too much tension on the neck and creating crease lines that shoot from the neck diagonally towards the armpits. I myself have multiple times considered just selling the jacket for probably $400-500 loss with the hopes that maybe it would fit someone else better and the jacket just wasn't for me.

@MrProper suggested padding the shoulders. So I tried an experiment by using a sock that ran across my shoulder to create some lift. To my amazement it improved the look and comfort by at least 50%. Basically it rebalances how the jacket hangs, evenly distributing the weight.

Today I hand sewed in some shoulder pads (just to the liner, not to leather, very easily removed with 0 damage) and I am again amazed. Ill probably keep like this for now, but next time I go to seamstress or tailor, I'll see if they can do more professionally.

If you have this issue below, try the sock test first. It might give you a preview of how to fix the issue. I can tell you besides the huge difference to how the jacket looks, my comfort level went from a 3 out of 10 to at least an 8.

Before:
20220106_101245.jpg
20220106_101306.jpg

After my homespun shoulder pads installed:

20220107_140251.jpg
20220107_140303.jpg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations.
Good that it also works out for you.
Is for me the confirmation that the pattern of Café Racer is intended for the use of protectors/pads. Fits of course for everyday use no longer, if these pads are missing.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I've gotten past a few stray lines and what not, but for my taste it was more than that. Also, besides visual, it just wasn't comfortable to wear. So for me was win win. Cost $5. I'm beyond happy. I loved loved loved the leather and overall package.. so saved me a lot of time,, money,, hassle trying to replace. Hopefully it can help others out there, even if just for the comfort level.

Aloysius

me, a normal person that doesn't nitpick over these things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually like whatever these shoulder creases are that the majority of loungers seem to hate, but to each their own.

It's funny that you mention that, because after I started seeing the incessant posts here about it, I noticed in the mirror one day that my Buzz Rickson's MA-1 has the same 'issue' (even though it's a perfect fit with totally uninhibited mobility).

I became concerned that it was faulty, or that it was the wrong size… then noticed that pilots in archival photos wearing MA-1 jackets have the same creases, so they're actually perfectly fine.

Aloysius

I think it could be an issue on a CXL jacket or something… but as in the case of my my MA-1, it might well be meaningless.

Aloysius

I think it's a pattern thing. Yes on some people it's less severe than on others (depending on their build), but it's still a pattern thing.

// \\

View attachment 393710

View attachment 393711

Pattern adjustment

View attachment 393712

End result

View attachment 393713 View attachment 393714

Sure, my point was just that that effect itself doesn't always indicate a jacket pattern that hangs off the neck (which is why I had that immediate confusion noticing the same effect on my MA-1, which in wear rests very comfortably on me).

MrProper

Vertical creases like that happen when you wear a leather jacket. I don't understand the problem. All my leather jackets have them no matter the brand because the jackets get worn.
No problem.
I like to wear my jacket even with these creases.
But I was interested to know why I have these wrinkles only on Aeros Café Racer Pattern and nowhere else.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I think it's a pattern thing. Yes on some people it's less severe than on others (depending on their build), but it's still a pattern thing.

// \\

View attachment 393710

View attachment 393711

Pattern adjustment

View attachment 393712

End result

View attachment 393713 View attachment 393714
I have a similar line you show in your example on my FL route 66. That one I'm ok with because it's one line. And funny enough, the shoulder pad technique will fix that too, but I'm not going to mess with it. And Ton's example, I have almost the same with my Aero racer. Totally happy with it. So I don't want you guys thinking I'm trying to achieve some perfect barbie doll look.

But my sheene is a clump of lines and bunched material. Sorry, it's not a good look, especially for a $1100 jacket. If you told me it was designed like that on purpose to achieve that look, I'd actually be ok with that because then it's up to me if I want to buy it or not. But I bought it thinking it was going to be a sleek racer style jacket with a collar. I get that a leather jacket has more tolerance especially as they wear in, but that clump of whatever, especially with the jacket open was way too much for me. And even if I could get past the visual of it, it was straight out uncomfortable to wear for more than an hour or two. I know I'm not alone in saying that as many others have mentioned. So even just for the comfort aspect, it was worth it. Especially since it cost me $5 in material and maybe half hour sewing.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps muscle will also help to fill the jacket without wrinkles. lol
Too bad you don't have this jacket anymore. Looks cool.
LOL, yep this. If you don't want to sew in shoulder pads, then do some outer deltoid exercises to give you the lift you need.

Obviously lots of jackets fit different people different ways. But I know Aero has been a common theme on certain designs. My Ridley though, absolutely love it. Would not change a thing on it. So it's not to bash Aero.

robrinay

One Too Many
It looks to me simply like the difference between an ‘off the peg’ jacket eg size XL etc. and a ‘bespoke’ jacket. In short an off the peg is never going to be a perfect fit whereas a bespoke jacket made specifically for you taking into account a wide range of your measurements, will be a perfect fit but of course will cost many thousands of dollars/pounds Between off the peg and bespoke lies ‘tailor made’ where a few more measurements than a simple size of chest measurement applies to ensure a better fit. Adding shoulder pads has simply made your jacket a better fit on the shoulders for your build but it’s quite possible it would be a good fit without the pads on another person. Further as others have said, these fit issues are common to any brand and not specific to Aero. If you’re buying off the peg or tailor made the trick is to find a brand or style whose pattern suits your build. For example Lee 101 jeans have always fitted me better than Levi 501’s.

Last edited:
I’m all for people getting a better fit however they get it done…but as an Aero bash…that dog won’t hunt.
Edit: I don’t think anyone in this thread has bashed Aero for their patterns but I’ve heard it enough around here and I believe it’s complete and utter nonsense.

Last edited:

Brandrea33

One Too Many

Greg is fixing that on all his patterns (I am told). He sent me a fit jacket a couple of months back and it had the same issue. I believe he told me he started by correcting the Michigan pattern first and was working on correcting the rest. Perhaps they’re all done by now.

MrProper

I’m all for people getting a better fit however they get it done…but as an Aero bash…that dog won’t hunt.
Edit: I don’t think anyone in this thread has bashed Aero for their patterns but I’ve heard it enough around here and I believe it’s complete and utter nonsense.

I myself like Aero.
Otherwise I would not have already had 5 of them (ok, is not much for TFL standards ;-) ).
And since I still have no halfbelt, Aero would be for me the first address for it. Especially the green shimmering of you is madness.
But the Cafe Racer pattern I would still no longer take for me.
So no bashing from my side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points