Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gary Eastman Type A-2 Flight Jacket Indetification Manual

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Do you have / recommend this book?

Not sure if there is already a thread on A-2 jackets books, presume there is. I've got A-2 & G-1 Flight Jackets: Hell-Bent for Leather. It's not bad, but a bit too much focuss on the G-1 and post-war models. Doesn't really go in much detail about the different contracts either etc... Got some good pictures, but not the best.

Any other book you'd recommend on the A-2? I'm getting more and more obsessed... doesn’t help it’s holiday season and very quiet in the office….

Cheers

The guys that really know MIL jackets say it's "The Bible". That's good enough for me. I don't own one, but that would be what I'd say is the standard for such things as it stands today.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have seen a copy though dont own one. To be honest this book is as the title says, it is an identification manual, that is to say the pages are set out in a matter of fact way. Lots of close ups of labels, zip pullers, cuffs, throat clasps, pocket flap shapes etc. A very well detailed book if that is what you are looking for in colour.
I did not really read the book that closely but it does contain just about everything you always wanted to know about what makes up an A2 jacket and some history. Personally I got bored with the set out of the book. 20 or so pictures of zip pulls or pocket flaps on page is not my thing but if as you say you that 'is' what you are into then this is certainly the book for you.
I enjoyed the Jon Maguire books(and Hell Bent ) so much more but these are more a history of the jacket and the men that wore them rather than a stitch by stitch comparison of the different makes. But then I look at the A2 and other jackets slightly differently than todays collectors.
I believe the initial print run is 1000 and there are still some about as well as from Eastman, only seen one on eBay.
You can check out the page format if you put 'Eastman jacket book' into Google images.
But! To those that may think I am running this book down I am not.
A great book for the collector interested in the technical aspects of the jacket, ie: contracts, metal work and hides etc. As Scott and Regent recommend, 'The Bible' to those really into the jackets
Though if it is pictures of decorated jackets from the particular theatres of WWII, the Maguire books are better.

I have a couple "lesser" book like "Hell Bent…". I know it's not looked upon highly by the real gear heads, but it's a decent book with some good pics and if you're just interested in a general knowledge on the topic, a good book. All depends on what you are looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn