Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I make lots of things,heres a start:
119311151_m8q8g-M.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Dschonn, nice coat, and good work on the collar. Is it lined?

Michael, gorgeous knives! Do you do blade shaping with hammer and anvil or stock removal? My best man from my wedding is a bladesmith, and I'm a blacksmith.

Here's a quick project I did in a couple hours today. It's from leftover fabric from the shirt, drafted the pattern based on a collar I have with fairly short points (I'm wearing it in the last picture I posted) and modified it. The points are 3". It's soft, and would probably benefit from a starching. I think lighter material would work better, as well. I'll try with the next shirt I do.

DSC09036.jpg

DSC09040.jpg

Not bad for a first try, but I need to work on finishing the collar stand. (And as I look over this, a more efficient way to sew it occurs to me. Ah well, next time.)

dschonn

Familiar Face
The coat's lined above the waist, but not below. I've thought about adding a lining for the rest of it, but then I remember the pleats and decide against it.

I spent a good few hours today figuring out how to make a pair of late 18th-century breeches. I think I have it about figured out. I was adding pockets to a commercial pattern (capitalizing on the Pirates of the Caribbean craze with a poofy shirt, long waistcoat, justeaucorps and breeches pattern), and couldn't figure out how to make the pocket work with the front fall. I'll post pictures when I get the thing done.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Nick, the trousers in your first post look amazing! Quite a job you did on them. I appreciate guys who take time to sew (or at least try to).

Here's a project I've been slowly working on for many months now (with much help from my mom).
I took a modern vest pattern and shortened it a bit for that vintage look. It's made of a very heavy cotton twill with a beautiful chalk stripe pattern. Here's how it looks today.
suitproject001-1.jpg

suitproject002-1.jpg

suitproject005-1.jpg

It still needs to be hemmed at the bottom and the buttons/buttonholes added, but other than that it is finished. It fits very well, too!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Thunder, looking good, can't wait to see it done! What pattern did you use? I just bought a Vogue pattern with SB and DB waistcoats to use with the extra fabric from my trousers. As you did, I'm going to modify them for a more vintage look.

Here's that collar I made again, this time starched. It's easier to see the shape here. This is the first time I've starched something without spray starch, using directions I found here on the Lounge and using corn starch. It's about the stiffness of my semi-stiff collars. I'd like stiffer, but it turned out all right for a first try.

DSC09047.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Nick, and wonderful job on the collar. I wish I had the sewing skills like you.

The vest pattern I used was a 'Burda' pattern. I originally was going to use a 1952-dated pattern for the vest and jacket but the vest was missing (forcing me to use the Burda pattern)! The jacket pattern was complete, though.

pattern-1.jpg

I hope to get around to the jacket once the vest if finished and maybe trousers if I have enough fabric left.

Cheers!

fishmeok

Vendor
Great Thread- I make leather jackets and force people to look at them in the outerwear section (also rebuild motorcycles and in my previous life airplanes). I am trying my hand at simple tailoring here and there, am currently trying to re-build a shirt to fit me. At some point I'd like to try making some pants and shirts, but that's way down the road.

Tech question- I make my own patterns from vintage jackets and generally do o.k., but I have one hell of a problem with armholes. I measure ten times, double check as I cut and assemble, and still end up with an armscythe that is too long for the armhole. Anyone have any tricks? Suggestions?
Cheers
Mark

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Michael, beautiful work!

fishmeok, great work on the jacket. I'm not sure what to do about the arm problem. Maybe make a mockup in heavy canvas, and figure out the adjustments on that, then try it on the leather. Being able to baste everything together and fiddle with it may help.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Armholes...

I hope I typed that right!

As I was taught, this is where something called 'rack of the eye' comes in - the ability to see 3-D shape in two dimensions and vice versa. It's lot easier to see the 'set' of an armhole on a dummy (or a person) than on a pattern table. Some tailors have spent years 'fiddling' (as Nick calls it) before they can do it by eye.

If you think about it, we are asking the impossible here, as the set-in of a sleeve is influenced by a number of complex (2 way) curves and, even with stretch and darts (which you tend not to see in leather!) our material is only capable of one way curves.

I've never really managed to get it right - yet. Your examples, above, look to be very well set.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
Finished another collar. It's an Arrow 'Devon'. I found a bunch of patterns off originals here: http://www.costumes.org/History/galleryimages/collarpatterns/index.htm
It's 2" at the back and about 2.5" in front. Heavy starch is definitly required, and I'm still working on getting it right.

DSC09052.jpg

If you can, try using rice starch. When I was in the Marines, people that had been in Okinawa still used it, talk about some IRON creases! Should work well for collars.

59Lark

Practically Family
setting up a space in the corner of the workshop.

These stories give me some confidence, have been in the sewing machine repair and sales business since i was eighteen but i dont sew , any test samples. I DO how ever know how to run just about any machine made by man. So lately i picked up a 87k walking foot singer industrial 1940s, for $120.ca. went over it intending to sell it and people were kinda rude, so i waited 4 weeks then we dragged it downcellar never to see daylight for a long time. PICKED UP some old stock nylon thread from conn. obslete for $5. huge cones and away to town. NOW i have no ambition leather jackets, sunvisors and door panels for my studebaker is what i wish. The most so far is practising and now have dismantled my ho train set for a cutting and layout table, covers, simple stuff first. But its a beatifull old long bed walking foot machine been converted to electricity and runs well, but wind three bobbins at a time or else. I ALSO picked up a blind stitcher machine with table for $20. its 1940 american blind stitcher made in ny. The machine has a curved needles and chain stitches kinda, just blind hemming. Also i have a feeling last week when my fedora strank, so i called my old hatmaker who used to block and clean my hats had moved away. He has had a stroke and cant drive and is in a walker. HE offered to sell me his blocks and last, and molds and steamer. and all his tools for $200. has said yes. Now something else to do in the basement. 59Lark

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great Thread

Great thread. I'm dumb as a doorknob when it comes to sewing, although I have tried here and there and we own a machine (my wife has no idea how to use it, so no help there). I'm eager to see more (as well as more knives, pendants, etc.) here.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Michael, gorgeous work. What are the stones in the earrings and the buckle set?

Thunder, any update on that waistcoat?

Regards,
Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points