Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it'll have the four pockets but I'm going to leave them plain. I'd like to do four pleated pockets eventually but not for this suit.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
More work on the waistcoat. Pockets sewn on and canvas basted in. The seam allowance is 1/2", the canvas was cut away 5/8". Stay tape will be stitched to the canvas and caught in the seam.

SAM_1295_zps974dc69d.jpg

SAM_1297_zps09a56211.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
Sadly something went wrong in my design and I don't have enough material on the jacket to put sleeves on it.:D
Back to the drawing board............HA Im not as experienced as you folks.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Sadly something went wrong in my design and I don't have enough material on the jacket to put sleeves on it.:D
Back to the drawing board............HA Im not as experienced as you folks.

Do you have enough to do a sewn-on cuff like that suit we've been talking about?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Geez with all this talent ( could I even bribe high enough) if in the near future and the appropriate funds HIRE one of you needle masters to make a Pug hat band if I supplied the material and offered a decent price for it to be sewn properly? I would attempt it on my own if I even thought I could handle it, but my fingers are not in such good working condition and as for a sewing machine...not gonna happen in my home...
Not now and not this week even, but for a fast 50 bucks?????

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Never posted here before but this is a copy of a Boer war era boot 1904. I made this one from shell cordovan from Horween. Aside from the heel counter cover and tounge the boot is made of one piece of leather
Peeweeboots008.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Wow, excellent work! I'm looking for a pair similar to that to replace my current day-to-day footwear.

My suit progress has come to a sudden and grinding halt, I don't have any stay tape to tape the edges. My options are to cut some from cotton scraps I have or keep looking. I really want to finish this, so I may end up making it, which I've never done. Would a plain cotton be sufficient?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Nick, on my cream linen suit i didn't use any stay tape, but then it's top-stitched approx 5mm from the edge which (in my opinion) adds more than enough firmness to the front edge.

i've never made my own tape so wouldn't like to say.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
What I ended up using has a bit of stretch, but not much. However, I noticed that over at the Cutter and Tailor in the 'making a jacket' thread he used silesia cut on the bias. I'll probably use something different when I do the jacket.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Nick, on my cream linen suit i didn't use any stay tape, but then it's top-stitched approx 5mm from the edge which (in my opinion) adds more than enough firmness to the front edge.

i've never made my own tape so wouldn't like to say.

HBK, I thought about edge-stitching it by machine, but I ended up pick stitching it by hand right on the edge. I like the less visible look of the vintage-type pick stitching. Not the modern, fashionable stitch.

Will015

Familiar Face
I'm very impressed with everyones sewing. I personally have only done alterations to clothing that I have and haven't really sewn anything much from scratch. I just bought "Drafting Mens Work Garments by Harry Simmons". I know there doesn't seem to be much workwear on here but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in this or has read/made anything from it. Hopefully I'm not too far over my head.

Qirrel

Practically Family
I'm very impressed with everyones sewing. I personally have only done alterations to clothing that I have and haven't really sewn anything much from scratch. I just bought "Drafting Mens Work Garments by Harry Simmons". I know there doesn't seem to be much workwear on here but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in this or has read/made anything from it. Hopefully I'm not too far over my head.

I have in fact used this book, and got nice results. It is actually available free on archive.org (might be an earlier version, I'm not sure), but I guess it is quite a bit more handy to have it in book form.

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The linen waistcoat is done (still needs a final press, but other than that...) Narrow facing on the back is slip-stitched in place, following the pictures that FlatFootFloey posted. It has a good fit, though I'll narrow the shoulders a bit on the next.

SAM_1309_zps9fbf8372.jpg

SAM_1310_zpsaaa30a5c.jpg

Photos in use are forthcoming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy