Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

DRB

One Too Many
Steve, I have yet to find anyone with a collection as fine and as extensive as your German and Austrian traditional hat styles. Thanks for taking the time to share with us....Dennis

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1930's/1940s Dunn Co (Tonak) Zephyr Seal Velour

I got this one a few months ago from ebay UK. The felt is extremely lightweight with a gorgeous color that changes from a light lavender to a light silver gray in the light. This hat was sold through Dunn & Co, but further investigation under the sweatband reveals that it was actually made by TONAK in AUSTRIA. Its a US 7 1/8 which translates to a UK size 7.

1930's/1940s Dunn Co (Tonak) Zephyr Seal Velour

I got this one a few months ago from ebay UK. The felt is extremely lightweight with a gorgeous color that changes from a light lavender to a light silver gray in the light. This hat was sold through Dunn & Co, but further investigation under the sweatband reveals that it was actually made by TONAK in AUSTRIA. Its a US 7 1/8 which translates to a UK size 7.

Josh, Fantastic! This an early (just after JHS was nationalized) Tonak (Novy Jicin / Neutitschein, Czechoslovakia) probably late 1940s early 1950s. The Velour color and finish are magnificent. Where did you find it?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful, Josh !

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Josh, Fantastic! This an early (just after JHS was nationalized) Tonak (Novy Jicin / Neutitschein, Czechoslovakia) probably late 1940s early 1950s. The Velour color and finish are magnificent. Where did you find it?

Thanks, Gentlemen!!

Steve, I found this on ebay UK. When the seller described it as an "Austrian Velour," I knew it had to have been made by Tonak, or one of the other major Austrian manufactures for Dunn & Co. The trimmings are A+ all the way and the felt color is really spectacular. It really does shift from a light lavender to a silver in just about any light. The felt is very lightweight with little shellac used. A slight wind can crumple the felt.

Josh, It's a real beauty! This one is from right after JHS was nationaliked as Tonak. Daniele also found a early Dunn & Co. / Tonak Zephyr Seal Velour which he kindly gifted to me. Dunn & Co. / JHS relationship went back to at least the 1930s and Tonak continued the relationship after WWII. I never considered JHS, AP and BB Czech companies. The factories were technically in Czechoslovakia post WWI but their ownership remained the same with connections to Vienna. Tonak was technically a Czech company but the this hat was made with JHS know how.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, It's a real beauty! This one is from right after JHS was nationaliked as Tonak. Daniele also found a early Dunn & Co. / Tonak Zephyr Seal Velour which he kindly gifted to me. Dunn & Co. / JHS relationship went back to at least the 1930s and Tonak continued the relationship after WWII. I never considered JHS, AP and BB Czech companies. The factories were technically in Czechoslovakia post WWI but their ownership remained the same with connections to Vienna. Tonak was technically a Czech company but the this hat was made with JHS know how.

Thanks for the awesome info, Steve! I have always looped the major Czech hat makers in with Austria because the quality and craftsmanship is identical. After the war, so many borders were redrawn. The quality of the hat is superb. Not quite as fine as the 1930's Huckel velour that I once owned, but definitely 100 times better than anything velour that the Americans or English were producing at the time.

Thanks for the awesome info, Steve! I have always looped the major Czech hat makers in with Austria because the quality and craftsmanship is identical. After the war, so many borders were redrawn. The quality of the hat is superb. Not quite as fine as the 1930's Huckel velour that I once owned, but definitely 100 times better than anything velour that the Americans or English were producing at the time.
Josh, Thanks! I am fairly certain Janyška & Cie. played a major role once JHS was nationalized. They were a Czech based company that was founded in the 1920s nearby Valašské Meziříčí – Krásno . I actually have a few hats that are marked Tonak but were made at the Janyška & Cie. factory.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/194-janyška-cie/

I also have a Dunn & Co. stamp die from my recent Czech find. I assume this was for JHS but could have also been used by Tonak.

21087295823_17f333923e_b.jpg

Fest Book for German Federation of Hat Shops, Munich June 23,24,25, 1930. This is from the Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Bad Homburg, Germany hat collection. The booklet includes some great advertisements from historic German and Austrian hat companies.

(Click On Photos to Expand!)

24340047819_91440a43fd_h.jpg

24589938142_0b5b2ae2ad_h.jpg

24614201201_24edea1748_h.jpg

24681512036_6f9f64b6bc_h.jpg

For Association 1930
Of Counsel Dr. Sasse.

Our district Bavaria and the local group "Munich has invited the National Federation to Munich at its annual meeting. We have the" sincere desire to welcome from all parts of the empire colleagues.
The district leader Kol. Blindhammer, waiting with a thoughtful gift for the hard Reich joined on. Mr. Rührigkeit has managed to lead in these hard times the 'Association thoughts forward, he is the youngest child. the newly founded Chiemsee Ciaugruppe. imagine. We congratulate Mr Blindhammer and the district on this success, which means a success of the Reich Association and the organizing idea at all.

The 'energetic affirmation of the organization: - is thought to go a new strong impetus. Get the main session of the Reich Associations, German Hat Shops Association visit it.

The establishment of the new Gaugruppe in extremely difficult economic time, in a region, the more difficult association work as a result of marked characteristics of its development, is a refutation of the key word of the Association fatigue As in all areas.

Anton Pichler Graz "Record", size 57cm probably around WWI. I have been looking for an old Anton Pichler Graz soft felt but haven't had any luck so I decided to jump on this stiff felt with side vents. Anton Pichler was a leading figure in the Austrian hat industry of the late 19th and early 20th Century.

26053676131_eb0c8f82ee_b.jpg

26120032905_2790f93f35_b.jpg

26120023455_384d1bc569_b.jpg

25847163890_6f6487d8c2_b.jpg

25515236394_9eaa20355a_b.jpg

26119997735_02a52616ce_b.jpg

26120007715_759ae785e0_b.jpg

Side Vent

26119991685_00bb4b1e66_b.jpg

Anton Pichler Graz "Comfortable" (1897) soft felt with same side vents!

25847905420_9e8f4f9549_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred