German & Austrian Hutmachers

Discussion in 'Hats' started by mayserwegener, Sep 1, 2008.

1. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Thank you, Steve. That’s the hat minus the adornment. I made an offer and I’ll see what the seller decides. Your knowledge of these German/Austrian hats is encyclopedic. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

3. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Picked this one up yesterday. Had seen it before and left it then, but it is so unusual I had to add it to the collection.
    Harald backbow in black. Size 57 with the brim at 6cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Probably a woolfelt or at least in large part wool. Unreeded sweatband with the cord running all the way round. No labels inside the hat unfortunately. Something tells me this is German manufacture. The flat brim flange is very unusual (and the reason I bought it). Probably 1920's or 1930's.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Posted a few pics of me wearing it in the whaywt thread.

Steve1857, DRB, BobHufford and 5 others like this.
  4. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  5. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Steve, thanks! It is a nice find and it wears quit well. The crown is very soft (very little shellac in the felt), much like the Germania I have, or the Lollar and lilac coloured ones you have.

M Hatman likes this.
  6. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Stefan, I will have to put a list together of these hats. I have a few with similar number stamps, paper labels, felt type and other components. They all appear to made by the same source. One day I hope to find out who made them. My guess is they were sold by the one or more of the large distributors. Wilhelm Ispert Köln could be one of the distributor / wholesaler.

WISKO possible is Wilhelm Ispert Köln.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/278-wisko-rossach-kosmos-1/#entry1645

Wilhelm Ispert Köln

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/278-wisko-rossach-kosmos-1/#entry1722

steur and M Hatman like this.
  7. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Windsor, 60cm, possibly late 1950s. I really like the hat form and felt is very dense plus easily takes side dents. I was hoping to find some clue regarding the Windsor trademark but the paper label has no company information.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve1857, DRB, steur and 3 others like this.
  8. I like the clean looks of this one......

9. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Thanks! I agree it's not a traditional German / Austrian Homburg. The brim is softer with less flange plus narrower binding.

10. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

These Windsor hats are a bit of a puzzle. I see them on a regular basis in various forms, but I'm not at all sure if they're all from the same manufacturer. Not super high end, but well made hats.

M Hatman likes this.
  11. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

I really like the two I have. This latest is fantastic but too large. I am pretty sure these 3 were produced by the same hat company.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/297-windsor-trademark/#entry1792

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/297-windsor-trademark/#entry1905

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/297-windsor-trademark/#entry2002

DRB, M Hatman and steur like this.
  12. ofcoursemyhorse

ofcoursemyhorse Practically Family

Huckel Standard "Crystal Velour". No paper label behind the sweatband, but this one is in fantastic condition apart from a pretty worn down liner. Crystall1.jpg Crystall2.jpg Crystall3.jpg crystall4.jpg

13. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

14. ofcoursemyhorse

ofcoursemyhorse Practically Family

This one actually just came in today. The one that came with the box is an Alpha.

15. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Thank you for the clarification.

16. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Johann Hückel´s Söhne Hat Holder but could be Hückel Weilheim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hückel Weilheim Hat Holder made by Zeitler - Karton, Murnau / Oberbayern possibly early to later 1950s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

First one for today (it's sunday already over here).
    Echter Mayser Superbe in black. I have plenty of black hats and the black ones don't get much appreciation here, but this one was just too good to leave behind. Lovely shape and great hand to the felt. Size 56 with the brim a tad over 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Especially made for Hut Göbelhoff of Hannover, Germany. It's not often the quality designation is on the sweatband with Mayser hats. I come across hats for Göbelhoff quite often (but not of this quality). From what I found they existed from 1949 to 1978. This one is date stamped. I believe it says 17 mai 1958 (could be 1968, but the liner is stitched in, which was something Mayser stopped doing in the early sixties).

18. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Picked this one up last friday.
    Eres-Kent in grey. Size 56 with the bound brim at 6cm and crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Don't know anything about the brand, but both its shape and the felt, which has a great hand to it, spoke to me. I like the colour of it too, a bit understated. Maybe Steve knows more (well, he does, but about this brand I mean).
    Hirmer is a store that's been around for a while: founded in 1914 they're still going strong today.

19. Steinbockhase

Steinbockhase A-List Customer

I just aquired a "Kent" from 1960 (stamp), probably sold in Berlin, Germany. I can imagine it is related.
    More photos will follow.
    Kent.jpg

20. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Could be the same manufacturer. Let's see if the labels are the same.

Redfokker likes this.