Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Here are a couple of pictures of my Lembert velour.....MUCH darker than it photographs.......very dark green.....velour is realy, really, nice! Just over 2 3/8 brim.....works well with brim up as it has a nice flange. Tag was stuck to the liner...(am showing the remaigns).......liner is currently out and drying after a bath....as it needed it! Strange really...rest of hat is immaculate......maybe beer stains:eek::rolleyes:;););) on the liner.....but gone now.;)....no tip protector. Some loss to the logo......
Did I say the velour was really nice?!?!;) Did a simple center crease only..........
So this appears later......liner was glued in.....label looks 70's? 80's?
You tell me.......thanks,
M:) View attachment 176287 View attachment 176288 View attachment 176289
Mark, Super! The Velour does look fantastic. As I mentioned R. & M. Lembert had their own felt (including Velour) production in this time period.

Here is anouther interesting velour I got in a trade right here on the lounge (our very own Brent). It is very simular (just a shade.........or partial shade darker than the Lambert. The velour is differant though....very very nice hand....but a kind of crossover as you can actually see the fur......kind of a short hair/velour cross....quite an interesting finish.....quite luxurious.......VERY petable.........brim is wider than the Lambert, just under 2 1/2 inches! Crown is a good deal taller too, comes in between 5 1/2 and 5 3/4! :eek: It is just under 5 inches at the front pinch!!:eek::eek:, gives it rather a big presence....:eek::eek::eek:. It came nicely pinched with a center crease. I like it a LOT! This one I think looks best with the brim snapped down.....
NOTHING on the sweat:eek: which is perhaps a period replacement?? Liner tip has that super soft plastic protector.....not the onion skin or stiff plastic. Liner is glued.....tag looks older though.......maybe 60's on this one?
Let me know.....love the tassles........this one is has really got a presence....I really, really like these larger proportioned German hats! Green and all!
Goooooooo, Green!
M:)
20190709_164444.jpg
20190709_164334.jpg
20190709_164309.jpg
20190709_164243.jpg

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
Here are a couple of pictures of my Lembert velour.....MUCH darker than it photographs.......very dark green.....velour is realy, really, nice! Just over 2 3/8 brim.....works well with brim up as it has a nice flange. Tag was stuck to the liner...(am showing the remains).......liner is currently out and drying after a bath....as it needed it! Strange really...rest of hat is immaculate......maybe beer stains:eek::rolleyes:;););) on the liner.....but gone now.;)....no tip protector. Some loss to the logo......
Did I say the velour was really nice?!?!;) Did a simple center crease only..........
So this appears later......liner was glued in.....label looks 70's? 80's?
You tell me.......thanks,
M:) View attachment 176287 View attachment 176288 View attachment 176289

Well that is a fine hat for St. Patrick's Day :)
(just like Stefan, I usually don't care much for the color green)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Here is anouther interesting velour I got in a trade right here on the lounge (our very own Brent). It is very simular (just a shade.........or partial shade darker than the Lambert. The velour is differant though....very very nice hand....but a kind of crossover as you can actually see the fur......kind of a short hair/velour cross....quite an interesting finish.....quite luxurious.......VERY petable.........brim is wider than the Lambert, just under 2 1/2 inches! Crown is a good deal taller too, comes in between 5 1/2 and 5 3/4! :eek: It is just under 5 inches at the front pinch!!:eek::eek:, gives it rather a big presence....:eek::eek::eek:. It came nicely pinched with a center crease. I like it a LOT! This one I think looks best with the brim snapped down.....
NOTHING on the sweat:eek: which is perhaps a period replacement?? Liner tip has that super soft plastic protector.....not the onion skin or stiff plastic. Liner is glued.....tag looks older though.......maybe 60's on this one?
Let me know.....love the tassles........this one is has really got a presence....I really, really like these larger proportioned German hats! Green and all!
Goooooooo, Green!
M:)
View attachment 176291 View attachment 176292 View attachment 176293 View attachment 176294
Two great looking green velours, Mark, especially the Lembert. I just want to pet them right now.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Steinbockhase

Practically Family

Interesting that they use "Garmisch" as quality designation.
Garmisch is a small town in the Bavarian alps, near Germany's highest mountain, the "Zugspitze";
famous for the winter olympic games in 1936 and as ski resort.
I wonder what other Bavarian town/city names they used for quality designations and how they actually compare to eachother?
i.e. would "Munich" be better than "Garmisch" because it's the Bavarian capitol?

Well that is a fine hat for St. Patrick's Day :)
(just like Stefan, I usually don't care much for the color green)
I am thinking of all the German events (Octoberfest) as well as shooting sport events.....;)......I will wear these to, and of course Christmas events (I can hide in any Christmas tree!:eek:). These two are MUCH darker than they photograph...but, they are very green.........though I DO like my green hats, these two are the most obvious green...I have a few that have brown tones and are so dark they almost look very dark brown or black or even dark grey:eek:. They are actually quite versatile and work well with both brown AND grey clothing.....they seem to pick up and match the hues of any dark clothes save perhaps blues. I wear those green hats a LOT!:rolleyes:;):)

Garmisch is a small town in the Bavarian alps, near Germany's highest mountain, the "Zugspitze";
I wonder what other Bavarian town/city names they used for quality designations and how they actually compare to eachother?
i.e. would "Munich" be better than "Garmisch" because it's the Bavarian capitol?
I was thinking the same thing when I looked up Garmisch!:)

My guess is that they were targeting tourist. They are both Miesbacher like. The second green Trachten Velour F.G.M. is Franz Gober München who specialized in sports and Trachten / Costume Hats, which they purchased from various producers and sold via catalog to a wide radius. It's possible R. & M. Lembert made this hat for F.G.M.

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/57-franz-gober-münchen-f-g-m/

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
I am thinking of all the German events (Octoberfest) as well as shooting sport events.....;)......I will wear these to, and of course Christmas events (I can hide in any Christmas tree!:eek:). These two are MUCH darker than they photograph...but, they are very green.........though I DO like my green hats, these two are the most obvious green...I have a few that have brown tones and are so dark they almost look very dark brown or black or even dark grey:eek:. They are actually quite versatile and work well with both brown AND grey clothing.....they seem to pick up and match the hues of any dark clothes save perhaps blues. I wear those green hats a LOT!:rolleyes:;):)

I understand. I have a few hats that have a green hue as well.
Like you said, more brownish than green or sage color; they fit well in my gardrobe.
Although I've lived in Bavaria for most of my life, I'm really not into local folklore in any way. No Lederhosen or Haferlschuhe, no Blasmusik or polka, no Bavarian style hats with Gamsbart ... which are sometimes very green!
It's been years since I last went to the Oktober Fest.
For me, too crowded, expensive and commercialized for tourism.
Most Munich locals prefer other smaller traditional fairs during the year.

Last edited:
I understand. I have a few hats that have a green hue as well.
Like you said, more brownish than green or sage color; they fit well in my gardrobe.
Although I've lived in Bavaria for most of my life, I'm really not into local folklore in any way. No Lederhosen or Haferlschuhe, no Blasmusik or polka, no Bavarian style hats with Gamsbart ... which are sometimes very green!
It's been years since I last went to the Oktober Fest.
For me, too crowded, expensive and commercialized for tourism.
Most Munich locals prefer other smaller traditional fairs during the year.
Here is an old + glowing green JHS "Prima" Velour.

29921862675_db7b260593_b.jpg

29921865135_28a69cd9b5_b.jpg

29886859586_9226319d20_b.jpg

29627429020_922b0b76fc_b.jpg

My guess is that they were targeting tourist. They are both Miesbacher like. The second green Trachten Velour F.G.M. is Franz Gober München who specialized in sports and Trachten / Costume Hats, which they purchased from various producers and sold via catalog to a wide radius. It's possible R. & M. Lembert made this hat for F.G.M.

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/57-franz-gober-münchen-f-g-m/
Aside from the ribbon (and of course the color) the last hat on the page is a lot like my Bayerland.......right down to the plain sweat!
Thanks for the link!

I found this back in 2016 but I thought I give it another showing.

Karl Schulpig, THE HAT, Ten Original Woodcuts, Introduction By Walter F. Schubert, Autumn 1925

27971890873_085afbd43c_b.jpg

28587849595_7be6dd1663_b.jpg

THESE TEN ORIGINAL WOODCUTS BY KARL SCHULPIG IN AUTUMN 1925 WITH OTTO VON HOLTEN, BERLIN, ONE HUNDRED COPIES WERE PRINTED IN JAPAN. ALL PRINTS WERE SIGNED AND NUMBERED BY THE ARTIST

THIS FOLIO CONTAINS NUMBER: 50

28303804180_e0f5b29265_b.jpg

Here is a sample wood cut.

Hair Hat Fabrication, Cone Forming

28557102366_bd200792b1_b.jpg

If you want see the entire booklet plus wood cuts click on this link.

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...hubert-autumn-1925/?tab=comments#comment-1538

Here is an overview of Karl Schulpig by Dr. Walter F. Schubert. I am working on the translation.

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...bert-autumn-1925/?do=findComment&comment=2189

Last edited:
Wonderful!!
Thanks! Karl Schulpig is influential and collectible. I didn't pay much for this collection so probably slipped under the radar.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Schulpig&edit-text=

https://www.invaluable.com/artist/schulpig-karl-mjkwrujroh/sold-at-auction-prices/

Dr. Walter F. Schubert who wrote the introductory text was a well known expert on German Graphic Arts.

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...bert-autumn-1925/?do=findComment&comment=2190

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I found this back in 2016 but I thought I give it another showing.

Karl Schulpig, THE HAT, Ten Original Woodcuts, Introduction By Walter F. Schubert, Autumn 1925

27971890873_085afbd43c_b.jpg

28587849595_7be6dd1663_b.jpg

THESE TEN ORIGINAL WOODCUTS BY KARL SCHULPIG IN AUTUMN 1925 WITH OTTO VON HOLTEN, BERLIN, ONE HUNDRED COPIES WERE PRINTED IN JAPAN. ALL PRINTS WERE SIGNED AND NUMBERED BY THE ARTIST

THIS FOLIO CONTAINS NUMBER: 50

28303804180_e0f5b29265_b.jpg

Here is a sample wood cut.

Hair Hat Fabrication, Cone Forming

28557102366_bd200792b1_b.jpg

If you want see the entire booklet plus wood cuts click on this link.

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...hubert-autumn-1925/?tab=comments#comment-1538
What a fantastic find, Steve. Glad you reposted it and thanks for the link to the whole booklet.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk