Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Pellie

One Too Many
There's a slight age difference between the two. What quality differences do you see and feel?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I see and feel that the Lord is softer then the Terra. The Terra is stiffer. . Also the hatband of the Lord is of more quality imo. It feels thicker.
The brimedge of the Lord is nicer then the Terra, so imho i think the Lord is better and so maybe older? But i'm not sure! :)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Older is not necessarily better, depending on the vintage. The one may well be better than the other. They're both really nice Peschels.

If you're looking for an age, I'd say between late 70s / early 80s due to the labels. They look 60s style cool, though.

Pellie

One Too Many
Older is not necessarily better, depending on the vintage. The one may well be better than the other. They're both really nice Peschels.

If you're looking for an age, I'd say between late 70s / early 80s due to the labels. They look 60s style cool, though.

How can you see that on the labels?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
So probably 70s/80s.

The style of those stingy brims make me think of the retro musical Ska movement of the late 70s / early 80s.

The hat liners are cool in their own right.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
But Peschel closed his doors in 1971 i believe. So the hats must be earlier then that or am i wrong?
That was my conundrum.

Better folks who know can hopefully weigh in.

Who took over the Peschel name after Peschel?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Ja, Tonak after WWII. As with all hats made in Czechoslovakia pre the end of WWII. But did they continue producing Peschel labelled hats after Anton Peschel closed his production down in '71. I guess only Steve (mayserwegener) can tell us that.

Your hats may well be pre 1971, Pellie. They're really nice looking examples either way. Hope to find that style in my size one day [emoji4].

Btw, are you familiar with Steve's website? It's a must for German / Austrian hat fans.

germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com

Pellie

One Too Many
Ja, Tonak after WWII. As with all hats made in Czechoslovakia pre the end of WWII. But did they continue producing Peschel labelled hats after Anton Peschel closed his production down in '71. I guess only Steve (mayserwegener) can tell us that.

Your hats may well be pre 1971, Pellie. They're really nice looking examples either way. Hope to find that style in my size one day [emoji4].

Btw, are you familiar with Steve's website? It's a must for German / Austrian hat fans.

Maybe Steve can answer this question when he reads this :)

I didn't know this website, i will check this immediately! Thanks for the link.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Nice finds, Pellie. I've seen quite a few Peschel hats in the vintage shops lately. Strange how these hats seem to show up in waves.
Mmm ... any in my size, Stefan? [emoji4]

The Peschel I bought from you a couple of years back is one of my favourite hats. I don't see them at all in Denmark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana