Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Rockel promo pocket mirror. Not sure of the date but could be 1950s.

6169150709_08ba96e028_b.jpg

6169151783_0c51c9a21d_b.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
I don't believe there is a general Italian thread. If you can't find one just start a new thread.

Thank you post these great hats! It's rare to find an older Wegener fedora. The Hückel is interesting. I haven't seen a liner or sweat like that one (either TONAK Hückel or Fritz Hückel Weilheim) . Is there a paper label behind the sweatband? Is the liner stitched or glued?

Hello Steve,

the liner from Hückel is glued, a paper Label is not inside. The felt of the Hückel is very stiff.

Very interesting. Supposedly the name rights for Germany were sold after Hückel Weilheim folded (mid 1970s). It looks more TONAK like but I wouldn't think Wien would be present in the logo. By the way I sent you a PM.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Here is HESS Homburger Hat. from the fifties, bought in my hometown Remscheid

I found out that the Hess Company was established in Germany Recklinhausen.
and that the Gubener Hatcompany used it. In 1959, the company Guben moved around to Recklinghausen.
That is what i found. Google Translation

Hess hat factory

Berlin - Gubener Hutfabrik AG

Formerly A. Cohn
Guben - Kassel - Recklinghausen
The hat factory was established on 16 Founded in April 1888. The foundation was based on the assumption of the Apelius Cohn and Herman Levin, 1859 in Berlin and 1876 in Guben under the name A. Cohn founded Hutfabrikationsgeschäfte. Were produced men's and ladies' hats made of wool and fur felt and straw and plastic netting.
By 1920 Hermann Levin directs the company. After his death, Dr. Alexander Levin, the position of Director General. 1922, the company employed about 3,000 workers and employees at the main plant Guben and smaller side businesses and grew the largest Hutproduzenten Germany. Dr. Alexander Levin was a Jew. He had left Germany, leaving behind the hat factory in 1933.
To 29 May 1934 was the company name Gubener Berlin AG hat factory, in front of A. Cohn. There after, the coated "formerly A. Cohn" in the company name and it was now Gubener Berlin AG hat factory. During the second World War II was converted into the hat factory production largely on "war-important" material. Effects of war ruined the once prosperous hat industry in Guben. This industry was never again to reach former heydays.
1949, the company was shifted from the communist planned economy to Kassel area. In 1959, the company then moved around to Recklinghausen. Status of production and the hat factory Hess Ltd. The building had stood at the Herne Road 57 adjacent to the railway line just before the bridge slaughterhouse. In 1965, the company hat factory in Recklinghausen GmbH (former hat factory Hess) renamed. The company has gone out in the meantime.

hess.jpg

hess1.jpg

hess2r.jpg

hess3.jpg

hess4.jpg

The Hess Homburger under own Label? or a Gubener Product with Hess Label?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland