Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Occasionally a risky purchase with little hope turns out to be a hidden gem
Huckel Eta 5a.jpg
This is the case with this hat bought without knowing much about the size and conditions. The impulse prevailed.
Huckel Eta 4.jpg The package arrived in a bar, I picked it up and stopped to open it in a small public park and this hat came out with an almost absurd shape as it was sold as female hat
Huckel Eta 2.jpg
Going home I fixed it as best I could and something new came out of it.
Huckel Eta 3.jpg
Huckel ETA - Seal Velor made in Czechoslovakia. Size 6 or 59 cm. 7 3/8 US
Huckel Eta etichetta carta.jpg
The velour is dark brown and very soft to the touch. Sold in Le Havre - France.
Huckel Eta interno.jpg
The measurements are as follows: the raw brims are five centimeters, the open crown is 14 cm. and the ribbon is 4cm high.
Huckel Eta 4a.jpg
The hat is in excellent condition and hardly worn and, above all, it is my size!
Huckel Eta 7a.jpg
To get news on its history, I am waiting for Steve's visit, who will be in Verona shortly and so with him, the greatest expert in Central European hats, I will have all the details :)
It's a beauty, Daniele and another one saved!

This arrived today: The open crown is just over six inches and the raw edge brim is 2 5/8 inches. The felt is in fantastic shape and the leather sweatband looks good too, but the stitching is failing. I’ll let Steve @mayserwegener tell me what I’ve got.

View attachment 459953 View attachment 459954 View attachment 459956 View attachment 459957 View attachment 459958 View attachment 459959 View attachment 459960 View attachment 459961

I don’t know who would be up to the detailed hand sewing to fix the sweatband. I had Randall @Randall Renshaw do one for me a while back and I think that’s what made him avoid The Lounge. :)
That seems to have some serious age to it, Brent. Love those.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
With the timing I can see why you might think that, Brent, but it wasn’t you or the Dobbs sweat repair that has kept me away. Congrats on selling it, by the way, and I hope you made enough on the listing to recoup your investments on it. seemed to sell well to me.
There’s several reasons one may not wish to stick around on this forum for an extended period. Takes up a lot of time, for one.
Two, there are some in this place who run off good folks because they can’t seem to avoid being of a low type that they likely think they’re not…but most certainly are.
Was here long enough to see a lotta good guys go and too many bad guys stay.

Nuff said.
A lot of the good guys are still here, Randall. I'm with Brent, you're input is sadly missed. This place needs folks like you.

Hope you're well, my friend.

Occasionally a risky purchase with little hope turns out to be a hidden gem
Huckel Eta 5a.jpg
This is the case with this hat bought without knowing much about the size and conditions. The impulse prevailed.
Huckel Eta 4.jpg The package arrived in a bar, I picked it up and stopped to open it in a small public park and this hat came out with an almost absurd shape as it was sold as female hat
Huckel Eta 2.jpg
Going home I fixed it as best I could and something new came out of it.
Huckel Eta 3.jpg
Huckel ETA - Seal Velor made in Czechoslovakia. Size 6 or 59 cm. 7 3/8 US
Huckel Eta etichetta carta.jpg
The velour is dark brown and very soft to the touch. Sold in Le Havre - France.
Huckel Eta interno.jpg
The measurements are as follows: the raw brims are five centimeters, the open crown is 14 cm. and the ribbon is 4cm high.
Huckel Eta 4a.jpg
The hat is in excellent condition and hardly worn and, above all, it is my size!
Huckel Eta 7a.jpg
To get news on its history, I am waiting for Steve's visit, who will be in Verona shortly and so with him, the greatest expert in Central European hats, I will have all the details :)
Daniele, Sorry I missed this post. Great seeing this beauty in Verona along with many other fantastic hats. Also thank you for being such an amazing host!

Last edited:
This arrived today: The open crown is just over six inches and the raw edge brim is 2 5/8 inches. The felt is in fantastic shape and the leather sweatband looks good too, but the stitching is failing. I’ll let Steve @mayserwegener tell me what I’ve got.

View attachment 459953 View attachment 459954 View attachment 459956 View attachment 459957 View attachment 459958 View attachment 459959 View attachment 459960 View attachment 459961

I don’t know who would be up to the detailed hand sewing to fix the sweatband. I had Randall @Randall Renshaw do one for me a while back and I think that’s what made him avoid The Lounge. :)
Brent, Super find! Could be WWI era maybe slightly earlier or later. It's Austrian and not German. The Felt looks really fantastic along with everything else about it. Can you tell if it's Fur Felt or a blend? As far as I know Alois Pichler Wien was a wholesaler and didn't manufactured hats. I actually have some Alois Pichler Wien hats coming from Austria. May I ask where you found this one.

Update:

I think it was made by S & J Fraenkel Wien. The paper label format is similar. S & J Fraenkel Wien made Fur Felt Hats but still could be a blend.

38291800522_47fed182a5_b.jpg

Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, guys
Good to hear from some of the good guys of this forum!
Yes I’m fine, thanks for asking. I have added many new & nice vintage fedoras to my collection in my absence, as I’m sure y’all have also been doing!
I like your new avatar pic, Steve! Someone really done you a fine job on a portrait!
A lot of the good guys are still here, Randall. I'm with Brent, you're input is sadly missed. This place needs folks like you.

Hope you're well, my friend.

Yep, what they said.
Thanks, Randy. I hope you’re doing well, too!
How’s the custom Irish axe doing?
Miss you fellas.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys
Good to hear from some of the good guys of this forum!
Yes I’m fine, thanks for asking. I have added many new & nice vintage fedoras to my collection in my absence, as I’m sure y’all have also been doing!
I like your new avatar pic, Steve! Someone really done you a fine job on a portrait!

Thanks, Randy. I hope you’re doing well, too!
How’s the custom Irish axe doing?
Miss you fellas.
Thanks Randall. No portrait of me beats the one you drew of me though. It's still hung up on the wall in pride of place.

Good to hear you're well. If you get time I know there are a few os us who would like to see your new acquisitions.

Take care my friend.

Tyrol Tracker

New in Town
Hi folks, new member on a quest for an authentic fur felt Tyrolean style fedora. The unicorn for me is a Biltmore Tyrolean fedora, fur felt velour, golden pheasant in green size 7 3/8 or 7 1/2.

I’m also interested in Tyroleans in the same sizes from some of the original Austrian/German hatmakers but want to focus on fur felt and lined hats. ie. not the wool varieties. Any advice, help or insights welcomed on where to look or who to talk to. Hat is for personal use. Thanks for the read!

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Hope you've all been well! Not a lot of new activity from me, but managed a new addition to the collection.

I believe a 30s Brüder Bohms made for the French market. Luckily this gamble paid off and fits me :)

edit: I think very similar to one Steve got from Panos bar the backbow

Attachments

• DSC_3570-01.png
    DSC_3570-01.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • DSC_3569-01.png
    DSC_3569-01.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • DSC_3568-01.png
    DSC_3568-01.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC_3556-01.png
    DSC_3556-01.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
  • DSC_3559-01.png
    DSC_3559-01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • DSC_3555-01.png
    DSC_3555-01.png
    2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hope you've all been well! Not a lot of new activity from me, but managed a new addition to the collection.

I believe a 30s Brüder Bohms made for the French market. Luckily this gamble paid off and fits me :)

That is one impressive find, Wayne. Nice catch

Brent, Great find! Possibly later 1950s. Anton Peschel Dinkelsbühl made high quality hats into the 1960s. They were really good with Speciality finishes like this "Chevret".

Wayne, Super find! Yes, other than the Back Bow it's similar to the "Ultra" Panos sold me. Old B.B. Hats are hard to come by (especially Soft Felts) so always very happy to see one. Look forward to seeing it in action!

Please post this here. I will follow-up.

Excellent find, Wayne and indeed good to see you posting. It may not be often, but it's always worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ