Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting my US Authentic A-2-ADVICE ON DETAILS

Corky

Practically Family
USAAFAcePilot, a couple of thoughts...

...you have spent far too much time (How long has it been, six months?) worrying about minor issues (painted or sewn-on patch) what kind of hide, etc.

You are concerned with getting as close to the perfect jacket as possible by mail order.

I submit that there is NO WAY that any mail order coat is ever going to meet your expectations.

Read back over the ads in the classified section and you will see that many people who order these jackets by mail order come down with a case of buyer's remorse a short time after their purchase.

An earlier contributor suggested that you check out the Gibson & Barnes offerings.

Since you live in Southern California, why not get in your car and take an easy drive down to the Gibson and Barnes showroom in El Cajon and try on a few models in the different leathers they offer.

I have found that (although I wear a 46 regular suit and sport coat), a size 50 is the size I find most comfortable in a leather flight jacket. Also, the first time I went to a showroom to purchase an A-2, I wound up selecting an ANJ-3 (because of the inside pockets and bi-swing shoulders) and I doubt if I would have even been aware of those choices if I had purchased via mail order.

Also, your mailing costs will start to add up.

Spending a major chunk of change on a non essential item like a replica flight jacket sounds like it's going to be a big deal in your financial situation.

You have spent too much time soliciting the advice of strangers on the details of your jacket purchase and still not arrived at a decision.

If you are serious about this purchase, it is time to just go to a nearby showroom and try on a few until you find the one that feels right for you.

Good luck.

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Very good advice. Gibson and Barnes makes a wonderful group of leather flight jackets. You're very lucky if you can visit them. Who knows, maybe you can convince them to make a jacket exactly the way you want. Dave Marshall still works there and he certainly is the man to talk to about A-2s and other jackets. He has a vast amount of knowledge and I know he will be very willing to help you.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy