Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting out-fitted in Melbourne, Australia

splatt

One of the Regulars
dr greg said:
I used to live in Napier st, and Little Smith st 30+ years ago, and it was rough as guts I tell you, the barman blew a guy's leg off with a shotty in the local one night...croissants nowhere to be seen :)

I don't remember it being that bad Dr Greg...though as a kid in the 1970's the only part of Smith Street we ever visited was between Gertrude Street and Victoria Parade. That was where my godfather (not a "mafia godfather" but the other kind) used to have his tailors shop.

If he was around today and still had his shop I would no doubt be rolling in the most exquisite tailored suits :rolleyes:

splatt

One of the Regulars
miss_elise said:
how funny. i guess it depends on what time you're getting your coffee

Morning coffee time is normally between 9 and 9.30 Miss Elise.

You should drop in their anyway and grab a coffee from the French owner, Antony, as they are pretty good...and the chocolate croissants are to die for :D

splatt

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
Never mind the gladrags, that chocolate croissant tip is going to come in mighty handy :D

You have to get the timing right Smithy...about 10 minutes after they are out of the oven...not to hot and certainly not cold yet :rolleyes:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
SteveN said:
Huh. I was wondering the same thing about Sydney! After several years in Melbourne I am, today, relocating to Sydney.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=31109

I know some outstanding tailors in Asia, so all we need is a few copies for them to work from. It might be worth just buying something that's stylish enough, regardless of the condition/colour/size and sending it off them them for reproduction.

Say, if you're (or any other FL-ers) are in Sydney, give me a shout).

Cheers,
- SteveN

cityvintage on OFAS always has lotsa great vintage suits in the 42 and below category Maybe look for a daggy one in a size that will go cheap and buy it for a copy and then change the measurements. You are right that Asian tailors like to copy an existing design.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dr greg said:
I used to live in Napier st, and Little Smith st 30+ years ago, and it was rough as guts I tell you, the barman blew a guy's leg off with a shotty in the local one night...croissants nowhere to be seen :)

From the town that brought us Underbelly . . . lol

Benny Holiday

Matt Deckard said:
How is the crowd in Melbourne?

Are they into 50s still? Is it more 30s 40s. I always see their hair as being 50s

I saw rather a large Swing scene contingent from Melbourne at the Wintersun festival a few years back, there were a few well-dressed gents and ladies amongst them (that is, more in into hep vintage than simply ballroom jive shenanigans).

As for 40s-50s haircuts, I just got back from the UK and a lot of the Rockabilly cats there have extra short back and sides haircuts with long greasy hair on top (and often really bad 'steps' - the hair length not blended gradually from short to long but the two different lengths changing abruptly). They look more 1930s Depression than any rockers I've ever seen. Not sure what the deal is there.

flat-top

Benny Holiday said:
As for 40s-50s haircuts, I just got back from the UK and a lot of the Rockabilly cats there have extra short back and sides haircuts with long greasy hair on top (and often really bad 'steps' - the hair length not blended gradually from short to long but the two different lengths changing abruptly). They look more 1930s Depression than any rockers I've ever seen. Not sure what the deal is there.
I saw ALOT of this at Viva Las Vegas this year. I think it looks cool. A couple of the cats in Morrissey's band had a similar style a few years back.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
cityvintage on OFAS always has lotsa great vintage suits in the 42 and below category Maybe look for a daggy one in a size that will go cheap and buy it for a copy and then change the measurements. You are right that Asian tailors like to copy an existing design.

Sorry, what's "OFAS"?

- SteveN

Guz

New in Town
G'day,

I signed up to ask a similar question, I too am in Melbourne. I've been dressing scruffy for the last few years, but I thought it's time I smartened up again. I thought I'd start with a couple of business suits. I'm thinking a 3-piece single-breasted 1930s-1940s style.

It would be great to know where to start looking. Anton's looks like the way to go, but as you say there is the price issue. :confused:

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Hijacking this thread slightly, does anyone here have any recommendations for vintage clothing shopping in Sydney?

Cheers,
- SteveN

MissS

A-List Customer
SteveN, PenMan, whilst I must admit I never pay much notice to the gents wares in the shops, I have noticed a couple of my favourite vintage places have a nice mens selection, so they may be worth checking out.

City - The Vintage Clothing Shop (St James Arcade, Castlereagh St - next to DJ's womens). They can be a bit pricey, but have a steady stream of items coming in and out, all in fantastic condition.

Coogee Beach- Bobby Dazzler on Arden Street. It's been a while since I've been down there, but a gentleman friend of mine always finds some nice pieces, though they made me a bit more modern (late 50's to 80's) than you're looking for. Also being close to the beach, I not sure how much they hold in way of suits.

Darlinghurst - My Boudoir, on South Dowling Street. Small little shop, but have a lot of beautiful pieces from 40's onwards. Downstairs is a small section of menswear.

On Crown Street, near Oxford Street, there is a tiny strip with 3 or 4 little vintage shops - C's Flashback and Zoo Emporium are 2 that spring to mind. Bit of sifting required, but you can find some nice pieces.

Newtown - Not my favourite area for vintage. There are a few vintage shops, but I find I find the quality is quite poor and you need to do a lot of sifting to find something decent.

That's all I can think of for now....oh, and check out the events thread. A couple of the Sydney ladies are heading out to Hunters Hill for 'The Way We Wear' vintage fair in a few weeks. Not sure how much mens items they'll have, but may be worth checking out.

Phew. Sorry for the long post. If I think of any others, I'll let you know.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I agree re Newtown - total waste of time:rage: . Rockit in the Rocks had some mens stuff last time I looked near the Old Spaghetti factory site.

J. Baxter

New in Town
Markets can also be quite fruitful in Sydney. Rozelle Market can have some great stuff - I found a lovely brown waistcoat there.

I visited Retrostar a couple of times in Melbourne - ok. Though the place mostly stocks post-50s.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
MissS said:
SteveN, PenMan, whilst I must admit I never pay much notice to the gents wares in the shops, I have noticed a couple of my favourite vintage places have a nice mens selection, so they may be worth checking out.

City - The Vintage Clothing Shop (St James Arcade, Castlereagh St - next to DJ's womens). They can be a bit pricey, but have a steady stream of items coming in and out, all in fantastic condition.

I stopped by The Vintage Clothing Shop on my way home today. Nice selection of women's clothes, but not too much in the way of menswear. A few coats from the 60's-70's, all in good condition, but pricey, as MissS said.

Nice selection of dinner jackets though, if you're looking for one.

The woman at the shop also recommended the places in Darlinghurst, so I'll have to try that over the weekend, if it's not raining again.

Regards,
- SteveN

Benny Holiday

I haven't found any decent vintage clothing in Sydney for years. There is a shop called Retrospec'd at 486 King St Newtown that do neat looking repro 1940s-style trousers, the patterns taken from vintage trousers. They sell casual panel/bowling/Hawaiian shirts and braces too. If you're rich (and I mean RICH :eek: ) you could alwasy try Skin Deep . . . nah, I'm just being silly now. Their prices are just ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran