Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Robbed on Roku

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Late last year I realized, rather belatedly, that I was paying for 2 additional Netflix streaming subscriptions and one DVD plan besides the one I was using. A quick check of my PayPal showed that I was paying for the same stuff THREE TIMES and DVD's to boot. They'd hacked my email, entered my Netflix account and went on their merry way. I eventually got most of the funds back and took Netflix off my PayPal. I signed into Disney+ last night and found everything was in Spanish. A quick check showed that Disney and Hulu were in the same state as Netflix was. I don't know if they're hacking PayPal, my email, Roku or all three.

I added a VPN on my email after the first problem, I'm not sure how they got at me again! I've had to cancel all my streaming services that are paid via PayPal and will have to revert to using credit Cards. What a pain!

I'm only writing this to warn folks. If you've streaming service of any kind and you don't visit it regularly do so now. Check whatever method you're using to pay for these services and make sure you're not providing free content to whole neighborhoods around the world.

Worf

I'm very sorry that happened to you. I had my bank account hacked two years ago and it was six months of hell to get my payment life straightened out.

All your advice is sound. I log on and check every single bank, brokerage, PayPal, and credit card account my girlfriend and I have once a week religiously. I have alerts, two-factor authorization, etc., set up on just about everything I can. It's exhausting and time-consuming, but it's what you have to do today to tamp down the risk of hacking / identity theft, etc.

I'm very sorry that happened to you. I had my bank account hacked two years ago and it was six months of hell to get my payment life straightened out.

All your advice is sound. I log on and check every single bank, brokerage, PayPal, and credit card account my girlfriend and I have once a week religiously. I have alerts, two-factor authorization, etc., set up on just about everything I can. It's exhausting and time-consuming, but it's what you have to do today to tamp down the risk of hacking / identity theft, etc.
I have everything linked to just one card/account # that shows up immediately/daily on Digital Wallet on my phone. I check it almost daily for any charges that are not mine & other suspicious activity.

bolted

New in Town
Yes, I’ve noticed this threads nearly 6mo. old, but I’d suggest everyone do the same as the OP.

I’ve also noticed vast I.T. upgrades precipitate these circumstances so keeping up with I.Ts vast upgrades is essential for secure I.T.

Another one I’d heard from a well established individual was, ‘There’s been more funds & services stolen since the inception of the internet, than from the beginning of time'. -unknown

“A small leak will sink a great ship.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner