Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
45B868B4-8E56-405B-B484-F540B8ADE2BF.jpeg

961D49A2-7878-47AE-B3C6-2D6769D87421.jpeg

Two girls examining a bulletin board posted on a fence. An advertisement painted above them asks "Are You a Woman?". Photograph, ca. 1916.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Detroit,Michigan.
IMG_3908.jpg

This wall sign was revealed after a building was torn down on Grand River Avenue in Michigan.
The Gargoyle emblem looks perfect (for a 60 year old sign) and the motor oil can looks as though you could reach over, unscrew the cap and pour a gallon of "Light Medium Body" right into your 1924 Packard.
Standard Oil (Mobil) went all out on this.
Ads for the gasoline and oil companies were just so nice in the early days of filling stations; although I wonder if the public thought that this ad was an eyesore at the time?

John D. Rockefeller would have been proud of this wall. ;)

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I snapped this picture yesterday. Brody’s Department store was a big locally owned store here in town. It closed in the mid-late 80’s. The building was purchased and renovated by the City in the early 2000’s and currently houses the City Planning, Codes Enforcement, Business Licensees and Community Development offices.
84AC560E-F5FD-47CF-AFBB-8E5DA9A9BAFF.jpeg

Steven

One of those kid's science / activity center thingys.
There's one of those here, also in a repurposed old building downtown.

Kind of a shame they went in through the ghost sign, but much like the one here, you gotta at least give 'em a little tip of the hat for not just demolishing a historic property and building from the ground up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider