Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

20200913_145956.jpg

Bonus shot of the front
20200913_150050.jpg

^ Boy, that graffiti on the window on the left is proof that not everyone is going to be the next Banksy. I think the "artist" was trying to paint "Bone Head", but he/she tried to get too clever and it looks more like "Bile Head", which makes no sense to me.

The first mall in our area was the Salem Mall. Two retailers, Sears and Rike's (local) were already on a plot of land north of town, separated by some acreage. The two buildings were connected by the remainder of the mall, and a third anchor, a Liberal grocery store, was added. Several years ago the mall went belly up and was torn down, with only the Sears remaining. It's gone now, as well.

7CJDDRB4VG4QLV4VIFJS2UYOPQ.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The first mall in our area was the Salem Mall. Two retailers, Sears and Rike's (local) were already on a plot of land north of town, separated by some acreage. The two buildings were connected by the remainder of the mall, and a third anchor, a Liberal grocery store, was added. Several years ago the mall went belly up and was torn down, with only the Sears remaining. It's gone now, as well.

View attachment 319323
I find it somewhat amusing that, in the history of shopping, the shopping mall was a small, multi-decade blip on our cultural radar. For all intents and purposes, the shopping mall was a 20th century fad that started in the 1920s, and all but died by the 2020s. The era of the shopping mall barely lasted a hundred years.

Meanwhile, the "strip mall" design is timeless. American town have millions of them, and they often make up the heart of main street. Heck, one could argue that the design has been around since Middle Age Europe. It's simply convenient to have a block length structure of commercial outlets. The baker is right next to the butcher, which is right next to the candle stick maker. It's perfect!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
^ Boy, that graffiti on the window on the left is proof that not everyone is going to be the next Banksy. I think the "artist" was trying to paint "Bone Head", but he/she tried to get too clever and it looks more like "Bile Head", which makes no sense to me.

"Bile Head" is me after getting another phone call from the medical collection agency.

As for strip malls, they're uniquely fertile hunting grounds for "modern" ghost signs. At our local examples, when a tenant moves out they take out the plastic insert in the little marker under the roof of the walkway and turn it backwards. So when the light comes on at night, you can read something like "ylppuS ytuaeB yllaS." Which annoys me because now I have to send away for the hairpins I like and can't get anywhere else.

You're not a true redneck until you have a truck body in your yard. We had this circa-1960, 22-foot, Brown box truck body moved from Grandpa's place in Springfield (where it was used to primarily store split-white-oak baskets we sold at craft shows) to "the farm" about 85 miles away. This is stashed behind the barn so not really visible, but it's a nice old aluminum trailer that will be good for storage. And the cost of moving it was 10% of the price of a shipping container ... and I think this is "cooler".

Anyway ...

While stripping out the carpet and shelf coverings that were put in nearly 40 years ago we found this remnant of a sign.

IMG-0951.JPG

IMG-0952.JPG

IMG-0953.JPG

This will look great in the barn/shop.

IMG-0955.JPG

IMG-0954.JPG

Strohm's Lake Office was at Lake Lotawana near Kansas City.

Strohm_Lake_Office_Lake_Lotawana_1.jpg

Strohm_Lake_Office_Lake_Lotawana_2.jpg

I was hoping my first vintage aluminum trailer would have been an Airstream or a Spartan ... oh well.

Brown_Trailer.jpg

Brown_Cargo_Van_Body.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112