Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

The current Marshfield Missouri Street Department is housed in the old Chevrolet dealership. I purchased a 1956 Volkswagen out of here in the 1990s.

IMG_0412.jpeg

^^^^^^^
Note the less-faded sign for Chas. M. Clements Hardware-Furniture Funeral Directors.
I found this yardstick at an antique mall maybe a year and a half ago. I mentioned it to an undertaker I was chatting with during a visitation for a departed elderly relative. The undertaker informed me that at one time it wasn’t uncommon for people in the furniture business to also be in the undertaking trade. Caskets, you understand.

IMG_3119.jpeg

An online acquaintance (we have friends in common “in real life”) restored these signs in Ellensburg, Washington in 1993. The photo is from 2018. The work was funded by a local organization of civic-minded women called the Friday Club.
Lynne McCowin is the artist. She does fine art as well as commercial stuff.

IMG_3399.jpeg

In the 1980s my folks co-owned the building across the street from what was then a business furniture store in downtown Springfield, Missouri. It has been unoccupied for quite a few years now, but is undergoing renovations. For decades it was the Springfield Seed Company. Recently they got around to removing the stucco and paint off the back of the building and revealed this old ghost.

IMG_2555.png

IMG_2557.png

IMG_2553.jpeg

IMG_2554.jpeg

IMG_2558.jpeg

In the 1980s my folks co-owned the building across the street from what was then a business furniture store in downtown Springfield, Missouri. It has been unoccupied for quite a few years now, but is undergoing renovations. For decades it was the Springfield Seed Company. Recently they got around to removing the stucco and paint off the back of the building and revealed this old ghost.

View attachment 607555

View attachment 607556

View attachment 607557

View attachment 607558

View attachment 607559
That's great that you have a connection to the building. It's an awesome building and an awesome sign. It's nice that someone is renovating it.

That's great that you have a connection to the building. It's an awesome building and an awesome sign. It's nice that someone is renovating it.

Thanks FF! My parents partnered with three professors at MSU to buy the building from Frank Morton — the last pharmacist in a line that went back to the 1930s. This photo is shortly after they opened this second location in 1940.

IMG_2564.jpeg

They then bought out the non-controlled substances and sundries and sold those along with products related to energy conservation and called it Solar Sundries. The back third of the store (with a second entrance) was called Computer Annex and they sold Bell & Howell PCs (black Apples) and related products.

1713399045922.png

Nowadays:

IMG_2565.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner