Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghostbusters 3 Rumor: Will Ivan Reitman Rediscover His Inner Ghostbuster?

Story

I'll Lock Up
According to Bloody Disgusting, Ivan Reitman has the opportunity to direct Ghostbusters
3 but hasn’t decided whether or not to take the job. Reitman, who hasn’t directed a film since My Super Ex-Girlfriend in 2006 and now spends his time producing, also directed the first two Ghostbuster films. Reitman can be hit or miss – Ghostbusters was a comic revelation, but Ghostbusters II was a precipitous fall. However, he still has the talent to see it through.

Bloody Disgusting has plot and character details:

Apparently, the sequel takes place when the paranormal researchers “reopen” their ghost removal service after it has been closed for quite a few years. As previously reported, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver have all confirmed their involvement (in various interviews on the web).

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/ghos...discover-his-inner-ghostbuster/#comment-89535

Edward

Bartender
Back off man, I'm a scientist.

I actually liked the second one. No, not as good as the first, but niether was it as embarassingly bad as so, so many sequels. Hopefully Dan Ackroyd will have learned the lesson of Blues Brothers 2000, and they will avoid shoe-horning in that ghastly Hollywood staple, the "cute kid". If they avoid both that, and the equally common mistake of "let's repeat all the gags that people found funny before, but change them just slightly so that they're ostensibly different (even if less funny)" - see, e.g., Austin Powers II, then they could be on to a very good thing. I remember a few years ago reading a fanfic treatment for a third installment, which involved the GB business having reached the point where the original crew had retired to the boardroom, and Peter was spending his time hammering out franchise deals. That could involve some interesting material. I'd also very much like to see more of Peter's television-hustler work.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
If they avoid both that, and the equally common mistake of "let's repeat all the gags that people found funny before, but change them just slightly so that they're ostensibly different (even if less funny)" - see, e.g., Austin Powers II, then they could be on to a very good thing. .

Considering the number of scripts that are merely regurgitated retreads, it's a wonder the entire industry doesn't collapse from a stunning lack of vision.

Hollywood braced for budget cuts
By Matthew Garrahan in Los Angeles
Published: October 6 2009 19:34 | Last updated: October 6 2009 19:34

After a summer bursting with expensive box office flops, a film made for a paltry $15,000 and starring an unknown cast is shaping up to become one of the year’s surprise successes.

Paranormal Activity, a horror film in the mould of the Blair Witch Project, has been selling out midnight screenings in a handful of US cities and looks set to become a bona fide hit when it is released across the US by Paramount this month.

The positive buzz surrounding the film is in sharp contrast to the negative reaction afforded several big budget releases this summer that flopped at the box office. As Hollywood studios tighten their belts, the lower budget film could be a sign of things to come.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/edd9a0e8-b29e-11de-b7d2-00144feab49a.html?nclick_check=1

guellimus

New in Town
Sigourney Weaver signed on? I'd heard she wasn't gonna do it.

I grew up loving Ghostbusters, I'm not ashamed to admit I still have my old Ecto-1 and Firehouse playset from childhood. And having recently purchased the video game for XBox, it was like reliving a flipping awesome part of childhood.

However, I'm a little hesitant about the third film. I would be first in line regardless of reviews, but if the plot is really them reopening the business after years of it being closed, it'll be just a rehashed version of Ghostbusters II. I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I use to *love* going to the movies, still do, but seeing trailers and reading reviews of movies prior, Im not going to waste $10-$15 on a milquetoast film. I dont care how many explosions or CG effects it has.

When will they learn, people want stories. Movies they can think about after the credits (fluff or real substance). I cant stand going to a movie to see 2 hours of CG and only 3 sentences of movie plot.

But I do think the world would be a smidgen happier with a Ghostbusters 3 :)

LD

Lady Day said:
I use to *love* going to the movies, still do, but seeing trailers and reading reviews of movies prior, Im not going to waste $10-$15 on a milquetoast film. I dont care how many explosions or CG effects it has.

When will they learn, people want stories. Movies they can think about after the credits (fluff or real substance). I cant stand going to a movie to see 2 hours of CG and only 3 sentences of movie plot.

But I do think the world would be a smidgen happier with a Ghostbusters 3 :)

LD

Unfortunately when movies like Transformers 2 make millions and millions of dollars, Hollywood has little incentive to focus on story and character development. Besides, it is easier to create an explosion than good dialogue/story/characters. Such a shame when there are so many talented people the world doesn't know.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tis true, but considering the lack luster intake of this past movie season (bad economy aside) I would think (me and my silly optimism) that tapping into that market that doesn't respond to those dredges would be lucrative as well even in smaller markets.

I mean 10 indie films (real indie not the Sundance fake kind) can cost a fraction of a single blockbuster, and generate quite a bit of income. But that would require *work* and *effort* and multitasking. What am I taking about!? :eusa_doh:

LD

Story

I'll Lock Up
Related -

SYDENHAM, Ontario — Seems Dan Aykroyd was destined to a life haunted by ghosts.

Aykroyd is famous for starring in the 1984 blockbuster movie Ghostbusters, which he co-wrote. But before the comedy about three eccentric parapsychologists-turned-ghost-exterminators came to be, it was what he overheard here in his family's 19th-century farmhouse parlor that led him down the paranormal path.

"I remember when I was about 4 or 5 my grandparents and mom and dad discussing what went on in this room," says Aykroyd, 57. "It was all in hushed tones, as if I wasn't supposed to hear. It was about the séances that were held here."

His father, Peter Aykroyd, has now collected those once-whispered stories in A History of Ghosts: The True Story of Séances, Mediums, Ghosts and Ghostbusters (Rodale, $25.99), and Dan has written the foreword.

Complete tale - very scary, Count Floyd! - here

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2009-10-18-aykroyds-ghosts_N.htm

Story

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran