Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
6340956003_a97c9c9f89.jpg

British troops emplaning on a Royal Air Force Vickers Victoria transport aircraft "Mayfly"

mid.jpg

mid.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
6111440611_e97c7c493c_z.jpg

British Army Military road block at junction Ramleh-Lydda Road , Palestine - circa 1939

6135268087_5aa1ab8ac9_z.jpg

British officers coming down the gangway off the S.S. Dorsetshire in Palestine - circa 1936

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up

allout

New in Town
It is great to find so many post about the Pith Helmet. I have been searching for a pith helmet for working outdoors in the south of Louisiana in the heat and humidity for some time. I have become a hat connoisseur (gone bald). My head is baking using my straw hats and my OR sun hat. The pith looks like a very good solution. The ability to soak in water overnight is a great feature. I ordered and received an Indian Big Head pith and overall I am disappointed in the quality of the fit and finish. This helmet is an awesome piece of costume for the stage. As for a work hat I don't see how it would survive the summer. The fittings are terrible. Very low end stuff. Anything that is magnetic will corrode quickly, the stuff that is not magnetic is so thin and weak, and the leather is the closest thing to cardboard I have every seen. At $40+ this is a big disappointment. Maybe it is best to call tomorrow about an RMA. I took the band out a hard hat and it maybe possible to fasten to the pith shell. The hardhat band is not the most breathable and will pool sweat above the band, I think. This is just the band and not the supports straps from the interior of the hard hat. The pith helmet band is a vital part. If all of the attachments of the hat are such poor quality the rest of the hat, the pith shell, might be junk as well and not survive repeated soakings. Has anyone put an Indian Big Head or similar helmet through its paces to have it survive?

The fiber USMC 6 holes on the side version, is that a fiber material that behaves like pith? There is a picture of a worn one at post #392 on page 40 that leads me to wonder. Is it soakable or just a plastic hat?

The safari style helmet seems to be the most practical as a high heat sun hat. The insides of the Tag and WPG don't seem to be designed for high heat. I am a bit confused about why this is and how the insides, particularly the band, on the various military high heat piths was designed to function. Does anyone have a Tag Livingstone Pith Helmet? How are its insides for a hot humid environment?

I apologize for all of the questions, this has been a long drawn out battle to find a real world affordable pith helmet.:bowl:

Last edited:
It is great to find so many post about the Pith Helmet. I have been searching for a pith helmet for working outdoors in the south of Louisiana in the heat and humidity for some time. I have become a hat connoisseur (gone bald). My head is baking using my straw hats and my OR sun hat. The pith looks like a very good solution. The ability to soak in water overnight is a great feature. I ordered and received an Indian Big Head pith and overall I am disappointed in the quality of the fit and finish. This helmet is an awesome piece of costume for the stage. As for a work hat I don't see how it would survive the summer. The fittings are terrible. Very low end stuff. Anything that is magnetic will corrode quickly, the stuff that is not magnetic is so thin and weak, and the leather is the closest thing to cardboard I have every seen. At $40+ this is a big disappointment. Maybe it is best to call tomorrow about an RMA. I took the band out a hard hat and it maybe possible to fasten to the pith shell. The hardhat band is not the most breathable and will pool sweat above the band, I think. This is just the band and not the supports straps from the interior of the hard hat. The pith helmet band is a vital part. If all of the attachments of the hat are such poor quality the rest of the hat, the pith shell, might be junk as well and not survive repeated soakings. Has anyone put an Indian Big Head or similar helmet through its paces to have it survive?

The fiber USMC 6 holes on the side version, is that a fiber material that behaves like pith? There is a picture of a worn one at post #392 on page 40 that leads me to wonder. Is it soakable or just a plastic hat?

The safari style helmet seems to be the most practical as a high heat sun hat. The insides of the Tag and WPG don't seem to be designed for high heat. I am a bit confused about why this is and how the insides, particularly the band, on the various military high heat piths was designed to function. Does anyone have a Tag Livingstone Pith Helmet? How are its insides for a hot humid environment?

I apologize for all of the questions, this has been a long drawn out battle to find a real world affordable pith helmet.:bowl:
I just plunge mine into a bucket of water
VM

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The one from WPG will be your best choice for a mostly authentic Wolseley Pith Helmet. It is set up for hot weather and is of quality construction. The only drawback for the time being is if your noggin is larger than 7 3/8 you're out of luck because the largest they have is a 7 1/4 and that can only be stretched up to 7 3/8. Oldsarge has the cavalry model from TAG and he may be able to expound on the qualities of what he has as a reference. There is some minor discussion too in the Weekend Safari thread about a couple of different brands of Pith Helmets. Especially the WPG Wolseley. Also, take a look at International Military Antiques. They have restocked several of their pith helmets and a couple of them appear to have some decent liners in them. Worth a look any way.

Cheers!

Dan

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
It really is adorable with the little ones in their own pith helmets and khakis. And the Mrs. is quite fetching, no?

Harrumph!!! I say, steady on old boy! ;-) She is rather, isn't she, I must admit.

The young fellows outfit is superb also the daughters attire is marvelous - Pity the youth of today cannot see sense, eh? It is such a touching picture. I'm so glad Dan posted it.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Portraits of Officers of the Lancashire Fusiliers by McNeil
These six amusing watercolour portraits show eight fellow officers of the artist John McNeil from his regiment the Lancashire Fusiliers. McNeil was a Manchester born, soldier artist who enlisted in the Fusiliers on the 28th October 1890, aged 18 1/2. He took part in the battle of Omdurman in the Sudan and was probably with the 2nd Battalion at Spioenkop. He was awarded the Queen’s South Africa medal with clasps for Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal and Laing’s Nek. He was also awarded the King’s South Africa medal with clasps. He reached the rank of Captain and left the army on 10th October 1903. He did not waste his talent but became a postcard artist. Several of his illustrations were used on the Gale & Polden regimental series of postcards published in 1909. He also contributed to the Falkner series of military cards. His work often has a sense of humour and that is well illustrated by these water colours of his comrades. Of the eight officers shown ‘Roddy’ is the most famous, having won the Grand National in 1892 riding Father O'Flynn. He was known for bunking off to ride at race meetings across the country and became such a personality that Vanity Fair commissioned Spy to draw a cartoon of him which was published on 28th October 1891. Further detail on the other officers is available. The pictures are dated either 1895 or 1896.

Height: 10 ins (25.40 cm)

7827.jpg

7827_2.jpg

7827_3.jpg

7827_4.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sarge, that is the dates related to each photo as I found them. One from a Worcestershire Regiment site (photo title: Lieut. Peter Roose, Waziristan, India, 1940) the second from a War Museum.

Here are a couple of piece since we are covering Pith Helmets in art as well.

mid.jpg

A BRCS and OSJJ Officer in Mesopotamia

mid.jpg

A BRCS and OSJJ Hospital Barge Orderly on the Tigris

War%2520Illustrated%2520-%2520Meso%2520Palestine%2520002.jpg

War%20Illustrated%20-%20Meso%20Palestine%20001.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

Eric P

Familiar Face
52411245135983155046750.jpg

"I Cover The War" was released to movie theaters 75 years ago. Bob Adams (John Wayne), ace newsreel cameraman, is told by his boss, "Get the picture---we can't screen alibis." He heads for Samari, a desert hot-bed of tribal unrest in Africa, to do just that, which includes getting footage of El Kadar, bandit and rebel leader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo