Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Bugguy

Practically Family
1970?? Where would you be going in 1970 that you needed a pith helmet? A boonie, maybe. SERE on the Texas range? No, that would be Fairchild. Interesting. I hadn't heard they were issued.

HAHA!!!

What a sudden return of a memory!!!

We wore those things at Air Force Basic Training at Lackland AFB... September, 1970...

~shoes~

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
1970?? Where would you be going in 1970 that you needed a pith helmet? A boonie, maybe. SERE on the Texas range? No, that would be Fairchild. Interesting. I hadn't heard they were issued.

I was there for basic training from September to Mid-October... it was so insanely hot... they had a summer rotation where we wore pith helmets to help shade the sun... I'm not sure they still wear them...

~shoes~

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Dad was Army Air Corps, he wore one on Guadalcanal in 45, a Marine one, with a Marine t-shirt cause they would trade for them. USAAF issued pith helmets, but Dad couldn't get one. I'll post a picture when I get a chance, I'm not at home.

Later

Bugguy

Practically Family
Hi

Dad was Army Air Corps, he wore one on Guadalcanal in 45, a Marine one, with a Marine t-shirt cause they would trade for them. USAAF issued pith helmets, but Dad couldn't get one. I'll post a picture when I get a chance, I'm not at home.

Later

Please post it. I'd like to see the pic.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Three great hats here and boy wished my camp looked this too!

image.jpg

johnnycanuck

My mental image of a pit helmet has green on the inside. But not all of my helmets have a green under brim. Some are Khaki. Now the question is does the colour affect how hot a hat is? Or is it just to reduce glare? If I was to paint it green, what kind of paint would I use that would not bleed through the helmet, flake off, stain my hands…… You know what I am getting at. Thanks in advance.
Johnny

Last edited:

1961MJS

Hi

Here's a picture of my Dad. He joined the US Army Air Corps in June or July of 1941. The picture is on the Tenaru River on Guadalcanal during 1945 (no more Japanese). He mentioned that he couldn't get an Army pith helmet, but this is the Marine version. He was stationed at Carney Field during this part of the war. Dad passed away on August 19, 2011 aged 92.

Marvin_at_Tenaru_River_Guad_1_zps5ar4mxvf.jpg

Later Y'all

itsbruce

Familiar Face
I saw Bruce with his Pith helemt and a few other riders at this years Tweed Run also sporting them.

Heh. One chap was wearing a Junker helmet this year because he'd worn his pith helmet in 2014, hoping to stand out, only to find a whole squadron's worth of us wandering around.

10995896_10203089628755537_6565398046381293882_n.jpg

But there were still plenty of good examples being worn.

11149263_10203089630915591_2419549616161852054_n.jpg

I spent the first half of the day with a home-made helmet cover publicising my local bike shop, which is facing eviction. That may be sacrilege, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Hi

Here's a picture of my Dad. He joined the US Army Air Corps in June or July of 1941. The picture is on the Tenaru River on Guadalcanal during 1945 (no more Japanese). He mentioned that he couldn't get an Army pith helmet, but this is the Marine version. He was stationed at Carney Field during this part of the war. Dad passed away on August 19, 2011 aged 92.

View attachment 28620

Later Y'all

Great photo and great memory for you, well done.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Reminded me of an old Tarzan film where he wrestled a huge rubber croc, cannot remember the film, need to check my DVD collection out, any excuse to watch old films �� and keeping this thread fresh!

View attachment 30857

That film sounds like the classic "Tarzan and His Mate" (1934), generally considered to be the finest of all the very many "Tarzan" films.
The special effect crocodile actually behaves quite realistically.
The film is also famous for its remarkably realistic lion(ess) scene, its topless women, Indian elephants made up to look like African elephants (false ears, ... no kidding), Jane's (Maureen O'Sullivan) lengthy nude swimming scene, and, most notoriously, Maureen O'Sullivan's "jungle bikini", whose sides appeared to consist of little more than dental floss, and which inspired such outrage in the U.S. Catholic establishment that it was largely responsible for the subsequent serious censorship of all American-made films.

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Silver Spring. Singular.
There actually is a spring in the middle of downtown Silver Spring, Maryland, but it's really only large enough for goldfish to swim in.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Not very good for Tarzan then? ;-)

I ment Silver Springs in Florida and searching on Google found it was used, although I am using Wikipedia font of all true knowledge.
The Seven Swans was filmed at Silver Springs in 1916, but it was not until 1932 that the location become popular as a filming hot-spot. It was the location for filming of Tarzan the Ape Man, featuring Johnny Weissmuller. During the 1930s and early 1940s, five more of these original Tarzan movies were filmed at Silver Springs. In 1954 Creature from the Black Lagoon was filmed there.
Unquote

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana