Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson and Barnes Expedition

Tone

A-List Customer
For wear around "non film specs" etc. With US Wings' prices hiked to compete directly against the G&B, I'd definitely grab a G&B Expedition between the two.

Though US Wings are good-looking, Indy-flavored versions, too. The G&B wins when they start to compete dollar for dollar like they are now.

Wings does have a China import at the moment, though. Only $195.00 introductory. Although, G&B lets you order longs, too, however; so there's a bit more freedom in getting a length that might work better for some. Especially those not looking to wear a costume-spec'd interpretation or anything.

Hard to know if it really comes down to honestly not caring about how either jacket looks in terms of film accuracy, but one thing to note is that Wings jackets seem to end up traded and for sale A LOT; G&B owners tend to keep theirs. ;)

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
Tone said:
...Wings does have a China import at the moment, though. Only $195.00 introductory. Although, G&B lets you order longs, too, however; so there's a bit more freedom in getting a length that might work better for some....

Just to clarify: it looks like Wings' website is also selling Longs for their $195 jacket, too. The coloring on those new Wings jackets look just amazing to me. But I'm still very satisfied with my G&B goatskin Expedition. Maybe with enough years (or for goatskin, maybe decades) of natural distressing on excavations and helping out on the family ranch, mine will eventually get a similar worn-in look, too.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Good value, the Wings but the cut is quite large. Puffy sleeves, stupidly large cargo pockets and long in teh body. Well made but not very attractive. The G&B is much trimmer and better looking IMO.

Tone

A-List Customer
Schulte said:
Just to clarify: it looks like Wings' website is also selling Longs for their $195 jacket, too.

Looks like they've updated their info to include mention of Longs since the 23rd.

Well, there you go. You can get a US Wings in long, too. For $195, and with accuracy not really an issue, that's a pretty good deal for a durable, generalized, modern-day Indy style jacket.

Glenville86

Familiar Face
I just ordered one of these in a 50L. Looking at their general size chart, the 50 and 52 would be considered a 2xl which I usually wear in most coats. They indicate the 50 has an actual chest size of 51. Fancy overcoats is a 48 for me. I am 6 feet 4 inches and wear a 36-37 sleeve - so I opted for the tall. Did not want a snug fit. Hope I ordered correctly or will have to exchange it.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I would be surprised to see a size 50 G&B measure 51" around the chest. I've owned two Expos, one goat one lamb, both in 44, and they measured approximately 50" chest, I would expect a size 50 to be around 55-56". I don't have them any more, so I can't double check.
Let us know the actual measurements.

B

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have a 44T (long) that I rarely wear as it is too big for me. Although one must be careful measuring the circumference of the chest of the Expedition with the action back and underarm gussets, I came up with a measurement of at least 51" to 52" which leads me to believe the 50T that you just ordered is going to be waaay to big. Last year I placed an order for a G&B AN-J-3, no longer shown on their website, in 42T and found it was at least one size, probably two sizes, too big for me. To make a long story short, I finally ended up with a historic A-2 Model 43 in 40T that is a trim fitting jacket but still has a pit to pit of 24.5" but is trim in the body.

There is an Expedition in 40R listed on ebay with a pit of 24.5" shown. As I have said before, G&B isn't big as much as labeled under the actual size. I hate to be the bearer of possible bad news but will be surprised if the Expedition you just ordered is even close to a decent fit. The best bet is to be in San Diego and hop on the SD Trolley to El Cajon and visit the G&B factory for a proper fit. To where is your Expedition being shipped?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Glenville86 take a look at the "a quick question trying to decide between a G-1 from Johnson Leathers or Gibson Barnes" thread for additional information. G&B makes fantastic jackets; everyone's biggest problem seems to be getting the proper fit. I would be particularly hesitant to have one shipped out of the US because of exorbitant shipping costs.

Glenville86

Familiar Face
I just e-mailed them (sales) via their web site to change the order to a 48L instead of the 50L.

I was just going by their standard size charts when I placed the order.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I just e-mailed them (sales) via their web site to change the order to a 48L instead of the 50L.

I was just going by their standard size charts when I placed the order.

A 46T might work even better, although better too big than too small. Depends on your physical proportions. Good luck and be sure to send us pictures on arrival.

Glenville86

Familiar Face
Glenville86 take a look at the "a quick question trying to decide between a G-1 from Johnson Leathers or Gibson Barnes" thread for additional information. G&B makes fantastic jackets; everyone's biggest problem seems to be getting the proper fit. I would be particularly hesitant to have one shipped out of the US because of exorbitant shipping costs.

My mail here in Germany is via good old Stateside USPS.

Glenville86

Familiar Face
I thought you might be serving on active duty in Germany. If so, thanks for your service! :thumb:

Did the Army thing for 26 years and retired in 2006. Since then have been civil service and ended up in Stuttgart where I was once stationed.

I do have a few of the Wested Indy jackets in a 48. The length in the sleeves and body are great but the chest is just slightly snug. My Indy style USW jackets in 2xl fits well in the chest. Looking forward to the G&B. I don't run around looking like a fictional character but do like the jackets as the trim on flight jackets are not my favorite even though I have a couple.

Glenville86

Familiar Face
Late response......

Got the 15% off.

The 48 Tall is a great fit for me and the jacket is excellent. I did pick up a 46 Tall Expedition for cheap on EBay while waiting for my other jacket to be made. The 46 Tall sleeves were slightly too short and it was slightly form fitting. I sold it and am loving the 48 Tall.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Late response......

Got the 15% off.

The 48 Tall is a great fit for me and the jacket is excellent. I did pick up a 46 Tall Expedition for cheap on EBay while waiting for my other jacket to be made. The 46 Tall sleeves were slightly too short and it was slightly form fitting. I sold it and am loving the 48 Tall.

Congratulations on the 48T. My 44T is somewhat sloppy fitting on me (too big), and the sleeves could be a bit longer, although the shoulder seam droops past my shoulder. Overall not a great fit but still like my G&B Expedition.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Fanch your jacket sounds screen accurate. The Raiders jacket was a poor fit on Mr Ford, baggy, drooping shoulders and a poor cut around the chest that kept sliding off him.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch your jacket sounds screen accurate. The Raiders jacket was a poor fit on Mr Ford, baggy, drooping shoulders and a poor cut around the chest that kept sliding off him.

Seb, sounds like my jacket, but Harrison Ford looked far cooler in his than I in mine. :D

Jerry Drax

New in Town
Hi all!

I know this thread is ancient but just wanted to chime in about a G&B Expedition goatskin 38R I recently bought through eBay. Terrific jacket! Even though I normally take a 40 in jackets, this seems to be a decent fit for me with a 39 inch chest circumference. Although I should report that the shoulders seem a tad snug, but I'm not sure whether I'm imagining that since my Levi's Skyfall Menlo (Size M) has comfortable shoulders I can't even feel. Trust me to regret those heavy deltoid workouts! This G&B also has an exact pit-to-pit of 22 inches, whereas the Menlo is 21.5.

That said, how much bigger would a 40R be? Would it be significantly bigger than this one? A better fit? A bit more room to wear a jumper underneath? As much as I'd like to say I'm happy with the 38R, a part of me is dying to try on a 40R (if I can ever find one) just to make sure...

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Jerry - the Indy jacket was a 1980's pattern and in the film is worn so that the shoulders are oversized (seam hangs down the upper arm) and the whole thing fits a size or two too large by todays trim fit standards. That's how it is intended to fit. I find it hard to imagine a G&B jacket having tight shoulders as they are cut big. The Menlo jacket is meant to be worn trim and is cut very differently for a different look.

A size 40 Expo would fit an inch and a half bigger in the chest.

The best way to tell if a jacket is too tight on the shoulders is to take a photo and check where the seam falls. If the shoulder seam droops even slightly over your shoulder it is not too tight.

G&B jackets generally are cut big I wear a 42 or 44 in most brands and in a G&B I can wear a 38 or 40. I am six two and 185 pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24