Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson and Barnes Expedition

Jerry Drax

New in Town
Thank you for the reply!

I should note that I'm 5'10 and 163 pounds.

Again, maybe I'm just imagining things since I'm so used to the Menlo feeling perfectly invisible on me, that the heavier G&B creates an illusion of snugness that might not even be there. By the way, it does droop about an inch off my shoulder, so that's a good sign. I rather like bit of shoulder droopiness, it adds character.

Still, I'll keep an eye out for a 40R if one ever pops up on eBay - I'd like to just try one on at least, and if it's too big, I'll probably keep it anyway and wear jumpers underneath.

I once bought a second hand G&B Civil A-2 in 40R from eBay a few years ago, and it was waaaaaay too snug in the chest, disappointingly. I was starting to wonder whether I'd bulked out too much, requiring a 42, but that couldn't be the case, since I've never been bigger than a 39 inch chest. I loved that tough dark brown goatskin leather though - amazing material, and I love it in my Expo too.

They don't make it simple!

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Jerry are you used to wearing leather jackets? I ask because sometimes people who aren't used to them report jackets being small because they sit heavily on certain parts of the body.

Given your comparatively small size I can't imagine the 38 being too small. That and the fact the shoulders droop. Photos? I can fit into 38 for a trim fit and i am way larger.

Jerry Drax

New in Town
Jerry are you used to wearing leather jackets? I ask because sometimes people who aren't used to them report jackets being small because they sit heavily on certain parts of the body.

Given your comparatively small size I can't imagine the 38 being too small. That and the fact the shoulders droop. Photos? I can fit into 38 for a trim fit and i am way larger.

Actually that's a fairly nice droop in photo format!

Honestly, my only experience with leather jackets is the Menlo and a Levi's trucker jacket in black sheep skin. Very lightweight jackets and essentially feel invisible.

So yep, it may be the unexpected weight of this thing that's throwing off my brain. It's a damn fine piece of garment making.

Attachments

• 20190121_020653.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 640

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Having reviewed your picture, your G&B Expedition jacket doesn't look at all too small or tight, and the shoulder droop is very consistent with the way any G&B Expedition is designed to fit anyone, even Indiana Jones!

2016-09-03 14.13.49.jpg 2016-09-03 14.14.26.jpg G&B BROWN 2.jpg G&B BROWN 3.jpg

IMO the G&B Expedition jacket was designed as a sloppy, ill-fitting jacket with significant shoulder droop. Mine is a 44T (Long) which I need as I have very long arms (16.5 X 37 shirt size). A 42T would likely fit OK, with the exception of "stork arms" appearance. My Expedition shows absolutely no wear whatsoever and is several years old. As a point of reference I am 6'2" and 185 lbs.

harrison-ford-indiana-jones.jpg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The photo isn't brilliant but I can see from it that this jacket is definitely not too small. The shoulders are very roomy and the whole jacket looks slightly over-sized which is how it is meant to fit - but it's not a great shot.

Sounds like you need to get used to leather. By the way, the Expedition is a light jacket - goat is my favorite hide for Australia. If you were to try on an Aero in FQHH, one of the favored hides around here - it would be 2-3 times heavier.

The Menlo jackets are a nice cut but are made of pretty poor and ultra-light fashion lambskin that is fragile and pre-distressed to look old.

Last edited:

Jerry Drax

New in Town
The photo isn't brilliant but I can see from it that this jacket is definitely not too small. The shoulders are very roomy and the whole jacket looks slightly large for you - but it's not a great shot.

Sorry about that! The selfie camera on phones can be awkward when trying to get just a body shot.

Thanks for the assurance, folks!

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Revisiting this thread about Indy jacket. BK launched three new "Indy" jackets, aside from the original Relic Hunter. The RH comes in three options based on the scenes of the first movie, so I assume the three new jackets are from the different sequels?

marker2037

Practically Family
Revisiting this thread about Indy jacket. BK launched three new "Indy" jackets, aside from the original Relic Hunter. The RH comes in three options based on the scenes of the first movie, so I assume the three new jackets are from the different sequels?
Yup.

The Relic Hunter = Raiders of the Lost Ark
Fortune and Glory = Temple of Doom
Holy Grail = The Last Crusade
El Dorado = KOTCS

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks!! Now they are the number 1 in Indy jacket I guess, with each movie has more than one variant per scene....I wonder if any member has own all of them haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic