Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gillette Double Razor Restoration

shamus

Suspended
I just picked up a nice used Gillette Safety Razor that's adjustable.

Is there a site that shows how to restore or maintain it? And whats the best way to sanitize it?

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Easy as pie.

partial>>>
shamus said:
And whats the best way to sanitize it?

Immerse in closed container of rubbing alcohol or vodka. You don't want the alcohol to evaporate...

Shake dry after use. Do not wipe blade edge. eBay has a seller of blades from Israel @ $20/100 or so for them with shipping. Good value...They work fine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AWESOME-SUPER-1...670236794QQcategoryZ31764QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I still have an adjustable Gillette that's 25+ years old. Just DON'T DROP IT!!! :drum:

shamus

Suspended
Thanks for the advice....

Since it's the adjustable one, I wanted to lube it to make sure everything works fine, especially after I wash/alcohol it.

It's not rusty or bent.

I like to tinker and thought maybe I should take it apart to make sure it's all in good working order.

On a side note, I just picked up an old Oster hand operated clipper. Works great!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I boil mine in water for around 5 minutes. Rolling boil.

Then, I take something like Zud cleaner, and scrub it into the razor with a toothbrush. After it's squeaky clean, boil it again. When that's done, give it a good polishing, and give it a quick dip in pure mineral oil to keep it lubricated.

Zohar said:
I boil mine in water for around 5 minutes. Rolling boil.
Don't boil if it has any plastic parts!!!!!!!!!!

Warm water, dawn dishwashing liquid, soak, rinse, Simple Green soak and rinse, then soak in rubbing alcohol!

On www.classicshaving.com they have Merkur blades and Feather blades. Some people think the Feather blades are too sharp for comfort.

If you look around you can find top notch deals on the blades.

MOST IMPORTANT! Dump the aeresol shave cream, get a mug, real shave soap and a badger brush the DOES NOT have a wooden handle. If you want you can get shave cream in TUBES or tubs, but you want to "wet shave" to do it right.

Also do a two way pass for most of your beard: either up and down or With and against the grain and on the tough neck sections add a third pass across the grain. Relather between passes.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yeah, I was assuming that it was one of the old all steel gillettes. Don't boil a plastic razor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo