Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Give Thanks for the Fedora Lounge

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I thought twice about even posting this, but I had an experience today that really ticked me off, and at the same time made me so happy to continue communicationg on the Lounge ... I had to pass it on.

I don't do the "social networking" thing. I have to "network" enough on the job and keeping track of my kids and grandkids.

On a day-to-day basis, this is the only "lounge" I visit. There just aren't enough hours in the day as it is.

So earlier today I was doing some research on the Net and stumbled on a site that I thought would deal with film noir subjects.
It may have, but what I saw was so unpleasant I just didn't keep looking.

What caught my attention was a reference to the Fedora Lounge, so I clicked on it and was transported into page after page of put downs, nasty comments and really odd observations.
One young lady was apparently upset because we don't allow people to post nude pictures of themselves.
Trust me, speaking for myself, you should ALL be glad we have that rule, though I don't remember it coming up before.

At any rate, beyond being genuinely offended by their comments, I was even more impressed with the gentlemanly behavior I have observed here.

I views the Lounge for a long time before I began actively posting and have been always pleased with the tone that is expressed here.

I will continue to make this my only social stop, primarily because of this sick preoccupation with hats, but also because I can get exposed to enough nasty people at work. I don't need to go on line for that.

Any way, thanks to all of you who make this a pleasant place to visit.

Sam

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
Having started online with the old FidoNet Usegroups many years ago, I have seen my fair share of the rise and fall of message boards. I concur that this place is wonderful and the people on here are a prime example of what made the golden era so golden.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I have been a member of the lounge since it was first started. It has had it's share of people who wanted to turn it into one of those "Other" forums previously mentioned. I too am glad the moderators and the owner of the joint MK, have kept it the type of place you want to come back to. Some people had to be banned from the lounge in order for that to happen, but not without many warnings from the Mods first. For those individuals, there are plenty of other forums they can log onto to do as they wish, I'm just greatful they aren't allowed to do it here.

There is one negative impact the lounge has had though. It has educated everyone in what is and what is not a good fedora. Before the lounge I was regularly buying top notch fedora's for around $45. Now I'd be lucky to get some of those same hats for $245. But it has also fueled an insurgence of interest in fedora's. And some top notch hatters have arisen to feed that interest.

fedoralover

Last edited:

slc

Familiar Face
I absolutely agree with Sam Craig above. I read the lounge daily and have learned much about hats and style. Reading the constructive and informative comments from the regulars here has taught me alot. I've found this to be a safe place free from much of what I find offensive on the internet. I'm thankful for the friendly people here and especially the leaders and bartenders.

Someday when I have some good input and pictures to share, I can begin to post more and join some of the discussions.

Until then, thanks again.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Sharing and learning is what message boards are for. I have posted to message boards and have been forum leader since the days of compuserve before most people even knew what an email address was. Here is a good site by an artist friend who started drawing
Flame Warriors after a "discussion" started on one art message board years ago.

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Sam, what you said here --- "What caught my attention was a reference to the Fedora Lounge, so I clicked on it and was transported into page after page of put downs, nasty comments and really odd observations. " I run across this kind of vitriol all the time, and the oddest part about it is that it rarely fits at all. It's almost like some disturbed folks have to yell uglies to satisfy themselves. Youtube comes to mind, those rude rants people post after a perfectly reasonable video someone took the trouble to share. Peculiar, indeed.

And to echo: yes yes yes, thanks to the lounge for all it offers!

Hamletsghost

New in Town
:D:eusa_clap The Wiser Hatter
Sharing and learning is what message boards are for. I have posted to message boards and have been forum leader since the days of compuserve before most people even knew what an email address was. Here is a good site by an artist friend who started drawing
Flame Warriors after a "discussion" started on one art message board years ago.

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/ :eusa_clap

THIS is too good (hope that doesn't qualify me as a sycophant :D) I have saved this and will go thru them all later - Problem is the few I looked at I see minor traits of myself in a couple :eek:
Look at 'em all folks then look inside for a hillarious (& a sometimes biting look at ourselves).
I will use this as a reminder before I ever post again :D
Hmmmm sycophant - eagle scout - me too ??? ;)
:p :D :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've been on message boards, mail lists (list-serves), etc, involving a variety of subjects, since the mid-90s. Almost everyone of them has had its share of people on it that just make be go wtf???. In the beginning I was completely against moderated forums, but here, I have, for the first time in all these years, seen what a properly run board looks like. 99% of the folks here are the types of people I would be proud to call a friend in a face to face environment. The collective knowledge here is astounding, and the positive, intelligent communication style is first-rate.

Sure, I'll give thanks.

Jerekson

One Too Many
This place will ruin you for other forums or networks. The attitude here is just so pleasant, that often times seeing another forum is a bit of a shocking experience. I've been very spoiled by the people here.

I'm a member of many boards, but I rarely post on any of them but this one. Most of the time I just don't want my name tacked onto the "discussions" I see. Here, it's different...I would gladly be known as a poster and contributor here.

T Rick

Practically Family
Couldn't agree more with the tone of this thread, and how pleasant the people here on the Lounge are (as well as generous with their knowledge). Being a Moderator on another site, I can assure you substantial work goes in to keeping things pleasant and on an even keel. Yes, some who insist on rabble rousing and trying to make the place into what they'd like it to be (to include arguing and flame wars etc.) will need to be censured, warned and even occasionally banned. An unpleasant task undertaken by Volunteers who spend their time keeping things "proper", so that the rest of us can enjoy the kind of site we see here on a regular basis.

I'll add thanks to the Mods here, as well as the Owner and Sponsors who bear the costs to keep this place up and running (also no small feat, it can be a very expensive proposition). Three cheers for the Owner, Sponsors, Moderators and yes, the Members too. Really a great place to spend some leisure time!

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Just wanted to add my two cents. Can't agree more with what everyone has already said on this thread. So many people on other social networking sites use the anonymity of the internet as an excuse for language and behavior that is absolutely inexcusable. Its as if they forget that they are talking to real people with real feelings so its ok to be as crude, nasty and insulting as they like. The Fedora Lounge is the Shangrila of the internet. Everyone here conducts themselves as ladies and gentlemen (even when they are disagreeing with you). And to top it off, the subject matter is fascinating!

I gotta say. I've never found a better place to be than the Lounge. Really, everyone is so great, and I completely agree I would be proud to call 99% of the people here my friend. Thank you to everyone who has made this place what it is.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm a member of a number of online forums. And the Fedora Lounge is one that I spend most of my time at. I visit this place at least three times a day (I know, I'm sad). I love the Fedora Lounge. It feeds my hunger for history and antiques and it's full of intelligent, funny, interesting, considerate, helpful and friendly people who are always willing to give out useful and sound advice.

This place has done a lot for me. I've learnt a lot of things, I've taken up a new hobby, I've bought more things for my wardrobe and I've become better at spotting nice stuff at flea-markets and antiques shops to add to my erratic and mismatched collection of..."Stuff".

It's unfortunate that other forums feel the need to downgrade ones they don't particularly agree with. That's the reason I frequent The Fedora Lounge and no others. Civility, comradeship and enabling (of hat buying) are some other reasons.

Keep up the good work, ya'll.

Last edited:

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Isn't it wonderful to have a site you can visit, contribute, and if you wanted to, show your kids, wife or grandma what others are posting say? that has always been the test for me..could I show it to my grandma? Or my grandfather? All my grandparents are long gone now, my paternal grandfather wore a fedora every day of his life when out doors. He was a very polite, respectful, and respected gentleman. I can only hope that someday, I will be rememebered as being 1/2 the man he was!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Yeah,
Both my grandfathers wore hats.
I guess everyone did.
Look at the guys in those great Norman Rockwell paintings.
You wore a hat, because.
I want my grandkids to remember their grandfather was enough of a gentleman that he wore a hat and they saw him take it off when he was supposed to.
Life goes both ways, AZ: "I can only hope that someday, I will be remembered as being 1/2 the man he was!"
The other side of that coin: "I only hope that I can be as good of a man as my grandsons think I am!"

Sam

I am happy the Fedora Lounge is here and it tends to be really a great place to come and get answers to questions, enter into neat discussion and see or display some really cool stuff.

As an online forum where we are writing or posts we don’t have the benefit of being face to face to see the facial expressions and get the intonation of what is said which gives us a clue as to how the statement is meant.

What is meant as a light hearted joke can be taken as some sort of awful put down. Here is where those smiley faces can help.

Another is not to get draw into a long tit-for-tat exchange. One feels hurt and angry then sees the need to respond with a cutting remark and a crushing blow of an argument to shut down another. Here is where a lively discussion turns to bad manners.

I am as guilty as others when my blood is up.

What gets me going is the snide political remark disguised as humor, condescending remarks as if the poster is Morbius (Forbidden Planet reference) dispensing royal edicts to minions and the total superiority complex that comes out occasionally.

All in all flame wars are relatively rare here and that makes it a fun place to visit and learn.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner